What happened to the half-wits? The world may never know

Patrick

After Ma got us to play nice with Dad threatening to beat our asses, Romeo had a lovely birthday. Sage and Reese returned but didn't elaborate on where they ran off to. The only thing we noticed was Sage had her hand wrapped. Did we ask what happened? Hell, yeah, we did.

"It's no big deal." Sage shrugged.

"No big deal? You beat Sloane's ass and then some," Reese said.

I won't lie. Sage impressed me. Of course, it would have been great to watch Sage in action and Sloane lick the floor.

"That crusty ass half-wit needed someone to wipe the smirk off her face. What kind of person tries to ruin someone's birthday?" Sage asked.

"A complete dumbass," Bailey said.

"So, what happened to the half-wits?" Rafe asked Sage and Reese.

"The world may never know," Reese smirked.

Yeah, I didn't want to know. If Camille was out of my life, I was good with not knowing.

********
Romeo

I grabbed two plates with cake slices and handed one to Reese and Sage. Reese walked away and sat down on the couch with her plate.

Sage took the plate from me. "Thanks."

I nodded and turned to walk away but stopped and turned back to Sage. "Thank you."

Sage stopped mid-bite. "For what?"

"For what you said upstairs. I was wrong about you."

Sage stared at me.

"You were right."

"About what?"

"I have a story to tell."

Sage set her fork down and turned to me. "Romeo, everyone has a story to tell, but it depends on when the person wants to tell it."

I rested my hand on Sage's upper arm and pulled her aside out of earshot. "Why did you tell me about your bipolar? You didn't need to tell me."

"My friends and cousins have carried my secret so that no one will find out. But it's not their burden or fair to them to hide my secret."

"I don't think they see it that way."

Sage arched a brow.

"The girls, Casper and Liam, care about you. When you care about someone, you help carry their burden so that they don't carry it alone."

Sage's mouth curled into a smile. The corners of my mouth twisted upward.

I grabbed a plate, and we joined everyone. Ma and Dad handed me a gift. I opened it and smiled. I pulled out an electronic photo frame and pressed a button. Photos appeared with background music. There were photos of my family and friends in the frame.

My brothers gathered around and looked at the photos. We laughed at some of them. It was a moment with my brothers.

*******
Tori

Elias and I sat on a couch as Elias wrapped his arm around my waist. The boys watched the series of photos play. My eyes shifted between the boys, starting with Val.

I knew Romeo would appreciate his gift, which took me forever to put together. It broke my heart to find Romeo distraught when we arrived. Out of the boys, Romeo is good-natured and takes everything in stride.

Val is direct. Pat has a tender heart. Rafe guards himself. Marty likes to have fun and enjoy life. But Romeo, he's special. I knew that when he came into this world. The nurses wouldn't leave him alone, and I understood why.