Truth

Patrick

I sat on the couch with Rowan as she fidgeted with her hands. I placed my hand on top of hers. She glanced at me.

"It's okay," I said.

Rowan managed a smile.

I removed my hand. "Rafe said that I need to talk to you. If you're having doubts...."

"What?"

"I don't want to pressure you into something you don't want."

Rowan's brows raised, and she opened her mouth, then closed it.

"Talk to me."

Rowan looked away from me.

I placed the tip of my pointer finger underneath her chin and turned her head to face me. "Rowan, talk to me like you did on the computer."

Rowan pressed her lips together. "I have this ex-boyfriend. While we dated, I discovered he was a narcissistic prick."

I gazed at Rowan.

"My ex convinced me to have sex with him even though I wasn't ready. He accused me of flirting with other guys, including my brother. Then one day, we got into a massive fight. He beat the hell out of me and almost killed me."

I knitted my brows.

"Reese's brothers took matters into their hands, and Sage's family took care of the legalities."

"Okay."

"My ex showed up on campus. I spotted Rafe and pretended your brother was my boyfriend." Rowan cringed.

I cocked my head and squinted my eyes.

Rowan stood and paced the living room. "I didn't know what to do because Robbie showed up. I hadn't told you about him because he was a non-issue. Your brother was there, and I was searching for an escape." Rowan rambled while pacing.

I stood and crept towards her.

"After Camille, I didn't want you to think I was playing games. I don't even see your brother in that way. Plus, we spent time getting to know each other."

Before Rowan spoke another word, I cupped her face and captured her lips. Rowan placed her hands on my back and kissed me back. I moved my hands from her face to her waist and pulled her closest to me. She wrapped her arms around my neck as our lips moved in sync.

After a few minutes, we broke from our kiss. I moved a strand of hair from her face.

"So, you're not mad?" Rowan asked me.

"No. I would have been upset if something happened to you, and you didn't tell me about your ex."

Rowan stared into my blue eyes with her steel-grey eyes.

"Now about that date," I mentioned.

Rowan's lip curled upward, as did mine.

********
After getting things straight with Rowan, I strolled home and thought about Rowan's ex. As pissed as I was at Camille, I never laid my hands on her. Demarco was a different story. My temper erupted. It's one of the reasons I didn't speak to Demarco, and Dad wouldn't talk to Jayden. Grammy wasn't happy with the situation and threatened to beat the hell out of us. Grandpa tried to reason with her. Have you ever tried to reason with a crazy-ass quint? It never works. Grandpa Matt had to step in and soothe the situation.

I arrived at the house and found my brothers waiting for me.

"Well?" Romeo asked me.

"Rowan and I talked. She explained about her ex," I said.