Adjustments

Patrick

Dad and Grandpa helped us move our belongings to the new house. I had to admit that the new home was better than our current house. Plus, there were more rooms to accommodate everyone.

Rowan stayed in my bedroom with me. It eased her mind to stick close to me. Jayden also increased her therapy session via video chat. She missed a few days of classes because of her injuries. I took a few days off and stayed with her. After speaking to RJ, he took care of our missed class time with our courses.

I prepared sandwiches and soup for us and brought them into the living room. Rowan sat on the couch with a blanket covering her lap. I sat down and placed the tray on her lap.

Rowan picked up her sandwich. "You didn't need to stay with me."

"Yeah, I did."

Rowan bit into her sandwich.

"When we met in that chat room, you talked to me without my deafness getting in the way. You treated me like a person and didn't pity me. It gave me a chance to get to know you without my insecurity hindering me."

"You were sweet to me when we talked. It made me want to talk to you more. Plus, my therapist recommended I join a support group of people who would understand about my hearing problem."

"Do you regret joining our chat?"

"No, because I had a chance to connect with someone special." Rowan smiled at me.

I leaned into Rowan and gave her a tender kiss. Then I kissed the tip of her nose and pulled back.

"You're incredible."

"Oh?" I arched my brow.

Rowan set her sandwich down, put her plate on the coffee table, and turned to me. "Pat, you have all these amazing qualities. You're brilliant, funny, kind, thoughtful, and have the biggest heart. You didn't deserve what Camille did to you. She didn't appreciate you."

"I'm glad that she didn't appreciate me."

Rowan tilted her head.

"Because if we had stayed together, I would have missed an excellent opportunity to fall in love with you."

Rowan leaned in and pressed her lips against mine. Most guys would use this opportunity to get into a girl's pants, but I'm not most guys. I prefer to take my time with someone and get to know them. Camille rushed everything with me. But it didn't matter. She did me a favor when she showed her true colors.

We broke from our kiss and placed our foreheads together. It was a tender moment shared between us until Sage interrupted us. She strolled into the house and plopped down into a chair.

"I thought you had a date," Rowan said.

"It didn't work out because the guy was a king-size douche." Sage shrugged.

Rowan and I glanced at each other.

"Who needs love anyway?" Sage forced a smile.

"I'm sure there is plenty of fish in the sea," Rowan said.

I picked up my sandwich and ate while Rowan and Sage talked.

Sage sat forward and placed her hands together. "Ro, I realized a long time ago that no guy wants a girl like me. I need to face the truth, which I refused to do.
It would save me so much time and energy if I did."

"You're too hard on yourself. You'll meet someone."

"When? I doubt guys are lining up to date me."