The storm: A Halloween chapter, part two

The following chapter contains triggering content. I recommend reader discretion.

Rowan

I met Pat for lunch and to spend time together before this evening. The leaves on the trees were changing color with the air turning cooler. College students were hanging out or attending Saturday classes.

Pat and I sat in a booth at a diner and talked while we ate our burgers.

"What's the plan for tonight?" I asked in between bites.

"Romeo and I will pick up you and Sage. Val, Leokadia, Rafe, and Reese are riding together. Liam, Casper, Hayes, and Bailey will take a third car."

"Is it wise to put Romeo and Sage in the same car?"

"Why?"

"Because it's like watching two cats fight when they're in the same room."

"What's up with Sage? She keeps needling Romeo."

"Sage isn't a fan of guys who treat women cavalierly. It stems from a lack of father figure in her life."

"Yeah, but Romeo isn't one to disrespect girls. He's upfront with them."

"There's more to Sage's situation than people know."

"Would you care to enlighten me?"

"It's not my story to tell. Sage has to tell it."

Pat nodded, not pushing the issue. Plus, I didn't want to discuss with my friend while spending time with Pat. After finishing our meal, I headed home to relax until later.

*******
Matt

Elias and I were on our way to the college until the car got a flat tire on the expressway. I pulled onto the shoulder and popped the trunk. We got out and grabbed the spare to change the tire.

A flat tire extended our travel time and interfered with our reason for heading north. It didn't take me long to swap out the tires. I threw the flat tire into the trunk, along with my tools. We got back into the car and proceeded en route to the college.

"What do you think the police will say?" Elias asked me.

"They'll hand us some excuse, but I've met guys like Robbie DeChamp. When I attended college, Shaun dated a guy named Travis. Travis beat the hell out of Shaun and broke his arm. I took exception and beat the hell out of Travis." I glanced at Elias.

Elias's brows lifted.

"Elias, I've seen too many people deal with assholes who think they have the right to put their hands on someone. My dad raised me better than that."

Elias nodded. I kept with the flow of traffic until we hit a traffic jam. Great. I doubt we would have time to speak with the cops when we arrived. I wanted to check on the kids before visiting the police station.

******
Patrick

When I returned home, I took care of some stuff for school. Ever since Rowan and I stopped hiding our relationship, I spent more time with her lips than at school.

It took me most of the afternoon to get caught up. Then I showered and changed my clothes. After getting ready, Val tapped on my door. I glanced at him.

"We're heading out to pick up the others."

I nodded, and Val left. I grabbed a hoodie and pulled it on when my hearing aids buzzed. While holding a new pair, I didn't hear Romeo. The light flashed in my room. I stopped and turned my head to see Romeo in my doorway.