brutal

I kick a rock down the wooden path next to Tubbo. I look up and inspect his firework scar. He looks so, serious. He looks back to me and tilts his head.

I shake my own and look back ahead of us, leaving the small rock behind. Ranboo waves from the Bee n' Boo hotel, but we both just nod to him.

"How are you?" I ask Tubbo, intertwining our fingers. He sighs and squeezes my head lightly.

"Restless. Ghostbur is back, and visited us last night while Tommy built the tower, to.." he trails off and i nod, glancing to the prison.

"I don't think it's a good idea." I tell him.

"To break into the prison?"

"To kill dream." I correct. He stiffens slightly and I sigh, "It's just... I don't think it's a good idea. If we do it, we won't be able to use the book anymore, and then what will we do? What if- what if one of us dies? He can't revive us. And living in prison is enough of a punishment." I stutter through my reasoning, holding Tubbo's hand tighter.

"Hey, hey, it's ok. Tommy will probably drop the idea in a week or so. We both know that if he kills him, he will just get hurt in the process. He can barely look at a sword without breaking down." He points out. I nod and sigh.

"Yea, I hope your right." He nods and we continue to walk.

"I'm so sick of 17." He mumbles. I agree with a huff.

"Couple more weeks." I half smile and he returns it, looking through his long hair. I stop him and narrow my eyes to try to find his dark eyes.

"You need a haircut." I say, pushing his hair up to see his eyes.

"I grew it out when Ranboo said he didn't like to be looked at in the eyes." I smile slightly.

"Tubbo, he's ok with close friends, he told you this when he first met you yes?" He nods and i sigh with a shake of my head, "Tubbo I think if you're married you're close enough for him to see your eyes and not get uncomfortable." He thinks for a second and nods.

"I'll go to Puffy's soon." I nod and swing our hands by each other.

"Tubbo, there's something I have to tell you." I begin, thinking of the Dreamon. As I say this, a shock rocks me backwards, losing my grip of Tubbo's hand.

"What was that?" He asks, concerned. I shake my head, feeling a fuzz in my mind.

"Nothing, I lost balance. I wanted to tell you I need you to dog sit Oli tomorrow." I say, standing up straight. As the words leave my mouth I try to stop them, but it's too late. Tubbo looks at me concerned and nods.

"Yea sure, is that it?" I nod and begin to walk again, ignoring the pain in my chest. Why did the Dreamon hit me then? Do I get hurt for it too?

"Actually, pick me up when you go to Puffy's, I want to get my hair done too." I say, bringing back the original conversation.

"Okay."

I bite my lip and look at the ground. Is this how it started for dream? Making up bad excuses and lying to friends just to not get hurt? How did the Dreamon come to be? How did it even come to Clay?

"you left one of your books at my house." Tubbo brought up, pulling me from the silence. He swings his satchel to the side and grabs a book from the pocket before handing it to me.

"Oh, thank you." I don't even look at the cover before placing it in my bag and closing it again.

"Remember just a few years ago, when the only worries we had was if they kept us in the same classes, and to do our homework?" Tubbo laughs at the thoughts and i smile to myself.

"God, I don't know how they put up with us so much. Do you remember when they asked Hbomb to substitute and he fell asleep?" I laugh at the memory and Tubbo soon joins in.

"Of course, we stole from his stuff, got twenty euros!" I laugh and nod.

"Why did he have euros when he's American?" I ask thoughtfully. He shrugs and sighs happily.

"I wish it was still like that." I say referencing the only worries. He nods sadly, looking at the ground and grabbing my hand again.

"We're really touchy aren't we?" I ask, rubbing his hand with my thumb.

He laughs, "yea but we admit to it so it's ok." I smile and nod looking back at our hands, my other burns are cleared up but the spread of the egg is resulting in the skin to stay red, vein-like lines spewing from a center of skin. I look away from my arm and look back to where Tubbo is looking, which happens to be the remains of L'Manburg, i didn't notice he brought us here.

"It's almost peaceful, in a dark and sad sense." I say. Tubbo nods and looks around. Grass and weeds are beginning to grow again, meaning the rubble looks old enough for it to look rustic. A ghost of a smile is on Tubbo's face as it surveys the country we all worked so hard for, and for it to end like this.

"We did our best, I wouldn't change a thing." I whisper, my eyes landing on the flag of the old nation that used to hang proudly, now fallen on the grass with burn marks covering it.

"Me neither." He whispers back, looking over the fallen nation. I squeeze his hand and rest my head on his shoulder.

"We did good."

A/n:

Bit of a short chapter today sorry abt that, I want to get in a few more things before the end, which, I hope you like because I've been thinking of it for awhile ;)