What a load of bullshit

An Ode to L'Manburg - Beetlebug

"Hi!" I furrow my eyebrows and turn to see Ghostbur waving to me. I soften my gaze and wave back a bit. "Has anybody told you that we look alike?" He asks me.

I chuckle, "Yes, they have. We're siblings, remember?"

"Yeah! I'm remembering a lot, apparently. Like the song we made!"

I tilt my head slightly, "Song?"

"Yeah! Like, It all started on a day like any other, all the salmon had swum to the sea. When my lover she darted away down the stream, with the heart that she'd taken from me." He sings. My eyes widen and I slump on a nearby rock. "What's wrong?" He asks. I look up to him and feel guilt drip down through my body.

Flashback

The fiery ashes of L'manberg tickle my throat for water. I feel tears run down my face as Tommy hugs me, Tubbo joining after.

"We did good... but not good enough." Wilbur says. I squeeze my best friends tighter and nod into their shoulders.

"Why would he do that? Why would Eret betray us?" Fundy asks with tears forming in his eyes. Wilbur bites the inside of his cheek and I separate from Tommy and Tubbo. He is visibly holding back tears making me just want to shrivel down and sob into the ground.

"At least we got L'manberg back. Right?" Tommy's strained voice asks. His body looks the worse from us. He has a cut slashed in his shoulder and his hair is not the usual fluffy clean type. Instead it has cinders and dirt build up in it. There's dust and blood layered on his body making his brave shield falter. My eyes drift to the bloody arrow on the ground next to him that he pulled out minutes ago.

"Yeah. We've got independence." Tubbo says as tears fall down his dirty cheeks. Fundy collapses onto his knees by the damaged caravan. He lets his head fall back onto it and closes his eyes as tears run down.

"Right. We shouldn't be sad. We won." Niki's gentle voice says. "We won." She repeats. Wilbur holds his hand out to Fundy with a small smile. Fundy stares at it for a second before letting his dad pull him up. I sigh and wrap my arms around my best friends necks. We may have won, but at what cost?

"Yeah...yeah Niki's right. We shouldn't be sad..." Wilbur's eyes drift to the van and after a soft smile grazes his face he jumps inside of it. I glance to Tubbo who looks just as confused as me. Wilbur walks out of the caravan with a familiar guitar. The dirty old wood of the instrument automatically makes me smile. It's not too damaged. Wilbur climbs on top of the van and gestures for us to join him. I let my arms fall from the boy's shoulders and my smile grows. I climb up first and join the leader of our now wonderful country. After everyone is sitting next to each other, the mood grows sad from loss again. Purple and pink colors flood the skies as the sun begins to set, drawing my vision to the dancing reflections of light.

"Well what are we doing up here?" Tommy asks.

No one answers. I look to Wilbur who's watching the sunset with a blank face. His attention is centered back to the guitar. He strums a few cords and hums a tune. Niki wipes a tear and rests her head in the palm of her hand. Tommy is watching Wilbur's fingers move on his prized possession with clear serotonin. I look to Tubbo next. A thoughtful expression is plastered on his face as he watches the grass sway beyond the broken walls. I lean against Fundy and watch as Wilbur opens his mouth.

"It all started on a day like any other. All the salmon had swum to the sea. When my lover she darted away down the stream with the heart that she'd taken from me." I giggle at Fundy's red cheeks and a couple chuckles come out from it. Wilbur purses his lips thoughtfully before continuing. "And my chest, though it ached, there was hope a little beacon of light. Though my sunniest days are now stolen away
I still had our son by my side." I sit up a bit and run a hand through my messy hair that I pulled down. The brunette curls are dusty and wild from running and fighting.

"Aw." Tubbo mutters. Niki chuckles at his comment.

"And as he looked up at me with those wondering eyes I just knew that I must protect him with my life and make a land that is good and a land that is free
for the better of you and of me." Tommy lays on his back as the stars begin to shine through the night. Wilbur awkwardly plays the tune of the song he's been singing, trying to think of lyrics to continue. I put a small smile on my face and take a breath.

"We'll build these walls with our own fair hands through the wind and the rain and the snow.
And I swear on my life that I'll stay by your side
through whatever the world has to throw." I make faces to Tubbo and Tommy as I sing the last parts making everyone laugh. Wilbur plays the strings.

"So I summoned my men to my side." Niki sings.

"And woman." I add with a smile. She laughs and nods.

"And we sung a familiar tune" Fundy shyly sings.

"As a final goodbye with our fists to the sky." Tommy puts his fist up as he sings making us laugh again.

"To our past as we started anew." Tubbo sings softly.

"We built these walls with our own fair hands. Through the wind and the rain and the snow.
And we swore that we'd keep an unwavering faith to the land that we'd carved for a home." I sing.

"Oh the thought of the day set our country aflame as the sun rose bloody and true. Arrows burned through the skies as we swallowed our cry and we ran with our backs to the moon." Wilbur slows down a bit, "To our demise, from a friend full of lies."

"Oh the break of the day shed its light on our hearts left battered and bruised." I sing as I look to the stars.

"All the hopes that we'd laid on the home that we'd made," Tommy starts.

"Torn to peices and left in the blue." Tubbo finishes.

Wilbur smiles to Tommy before starting again,"But my friend with an angry cry, held the weight of our world at his side. Took a trembling stand with an arrow in hand." Tommy's cheeks turn a light pink from the attention but smiles up to the sky proudly anyways.

"As he muttered a final goodbye." I end. I lay on my back next to my best friends as Wilbur plays the rest of the song. It's true what I sang, whatever the world throws our way, we will always have each other. And I promise to never leave my best friends sides.

(A/n: sad flashback time! So I used Beetlebug's 'An Ode to L'Manberg' song and the credit goes to her fully. I'll probably be including more flashbacks to show how everyone was before the whole exile and stuff but yeah. Hope you enjoyed! And next chapter will be starting back in normal time so don't get confused)