A Good Man Goes to War Pt 4

RONALD :
(holds his sword to KOVARIAN'S neck) No.

KOVARIAN:
I have a crew of 20. How do you expect to gain control of my ship?

RONALD  scoffs. The airlock doors open and one of her men is pushed out, trussed up. Behind him are AVERY and his son. AVERY aims his pistol at her.

AVERY:
This ship is ours, m'lady!

INT. DEMON'S RUN, COMMUNICATION

STRAX is escorting MANTON by gunpoint.

STRAX:
All airlocks sealed, resistance neutralised!

The DOCTOR is sitting at the main control panel. VASTRA, JENNY and DORIUM are also present.

DOCTOR:
Sorry, Colonel Manton, I lied. Three minutes, 42 seconds.

STRAX:
Colonel Manton, you will give the order for your men to withdraw.

DOCTOR:
No. Colonel Manton... I want you to tell your men to run away.

MANTON:
You what?

DOCTOR:
Those words. Run away. I want you to be famous for those exact words. I want people to call you Colonel Run-Away. I want children laughing outside your door, cos they've found the house of Colonel Run-Away. (stands and points his finger) And, when people come to you, and ask if trying to get to me through the people I love... is in any way a good idea... I want you to tell them your name. Oh, look! I'm angry. That's new. I'm really not sure what's going to happen now.

KOVARIAN arrives escorted by two Silurians.

KOVARIAN:
The anger of a good man is not a problem. Good men have too many rules.

The DOCTOR slowly turns his head to look at her.

DOCTOR:
Good men don't need rules. (walks over to KOVARIAN) Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.

KOVARIAN:
Give the order.

The DOCTOR pulls back, a little surprised. He smiles crookedly and holds up a finger before walking away.

KOVARIAN:
Give the order Colonel Run-Away.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, NURSERY

There is a knocking at the door and Isabella runs about, trying to find something to use as a weapon.

Isabella :
Who's that, who's there? (finds something that looks like an industrial thermometer) You watch it, cos I'm armed and really dangerous and...cross!

RONALD :
(through the door) Yeah. Like I don't know that.

Isabella :
Ronald? Ronald, is that you.

RONALD :
(through the door) Yeah, it's me...(uses the sonic) Hang on a minute.

Isabella :
They took her. Ronald, they took our baby away.

The doors slide open and RONALD is holding MELODY.

RONALD :
Now, Mrs Weasley.. That is never, ever going to happen. (walks over to Isabella)

Isabella :
Oh, my God. Oh, my God. (checks MELODY) Where's she been, what have they done to her...

RONAD :
She's fine. Isabella, she's fine, I checked. She's beautiful. (starts crying) Oh, God, I was going to be cool. I wanted to be cool, look at me.

Isabella :
You're OK. Crying Roman with a baby, definitely cool. Come here, you! (kisses him)

The DOCTOR stands at the door.

Doctor  :
Ugh, kissing and crying, I'll be back in a bit.

RONALD :
Oi! You! Get in here. Now.

The DOCTOR hurries over and joins them. He points at MELODY and smiles.

RONALD :
My daughter. What do you think?

DOCTOR:
Hello. Hello, baby.

Isabella :
Melody.

DOCTOR:
Melody! Hello, Melody Pond!

RONALD :
Melody Williams.

Isabella :
..is a geography teacher. Melody Pond is a superhero!

The DOCTOR leans over and listens as MELODY gurgles.

DOCTOR:
(to MELODY) Well, yes, I suppose she does smell nice. Never really sniffed her, maybe I should give it a go. Isabella Pond, c'mere! (hugs her)

Isabella :
Doctor!

DOCTOR:
I'm sorry we were so long. (sniffs her)

Isabella :
It's OK, I knew you were coming. Both of you. My boys!

MELODY squeals.

DOCTOR:
It's OK, she's still all yours. And really you should call her Mummy, not Big Milk Thing.

Isabella :
OK, what are you doing?

DOCTOR:
I speak Baby.

Isabella :
No, you don't!

DOCTOR:
I speak everything...Don't I, Melody Pond? (MELODY gurgles and the DOCTOR straightens his tie) No, it's not...it's cool!

VASTRA enters and leans on the rail.

VASTRA:
Doctor! Take a look. They're leaving.

The DOCTOR walks to the window and looks out as the soldiers are marched away.

VASTRA:
Demons Run is ours without a drop of blood spilled. My friend, you have never risen higher!

RONALD looks up at VASTRA'S words, remembering what RIVER said.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, HANGAR

Isabella  comes out of the TARDIS, comforting MELODY.

RONALD :
Hey what's wrong?

Isabella :
She doesn't like the TARDIS noise. I asked him to turn something off, but it was all "I don't want to punch a hole in the space-time continuum".

JENNY and STRAX walk up to them.

JENNY:
Ronald ! The Judoon have escorted the Clerics out of the quadrant, Spitfires have returned to their own time, and Captain Avery and his men... Is she all right?

Isabella :
Yes, she's just crying.

STRAX:
Give her to me, human fool. She needs changing.

Isabella :
I just changed her. I think she might need a feed.

STRAX:
A feed, of course. I'll take care of everything. (steps forward, hand out)

RONALD :
I really don't think you will, actually.

STRAX:
I have gene-spliced myself for all nursing duties. I can produce magnificent quantities of lactic fluid.

The DOCTOR exits the TARDIS carrying an old fashioned cradle.

LORNA:
She's not hungry, she's tired. Sorry, Melody, they're just not listening.

Isabella :
What's this?!

DOCTOR:
Very pretty, according to your daughter.

RONALD :
It's a...it's a cot.

DOCTOR:
No flies on the Roman. Give her here. Hey!

Isabella :
(hands MELODY to the DOCTOR) There we go.

RORY:
But where would you get a cot?

The DOCTOR puts MELODY in the cot/cradle.

AMY:
It's old. Really old. Doctor...do you have children?

DOCTOR:
No.

Isabella :
Have you ever had children?

DOCTOR:
(to MELODY) No, it's real, it's my hair.

AMY:
Who slept in here?

VASTRA: (over speakers)
Doctor! We need you in the main control room.

DOCTOR:
Be right there! Things to do... I've still got to work out what this base is for. We can't leave till we know. (heads off)

Isabella :
(walks after him) But this is where I was? DOCTOR stops) The whole time I thought I was on the TARDIS, I was really here.

DOCTOR:
Erm... Centurion, permission to hug?

RONALD :
Be aware, I do have a sword.

DOCTOR:
At all times. (salutes RONALD then hugs Isabella ) You were on the TARDIS too...your heart, your mind, your soul. But physically, yes, you were still in this place.

Isabella :
And when I saw that face looking through the hatch... that woman looking at me...

DOCTOR:
Reality bleeding through. They must have taken you quite a while back. Just before America...

RONALD :
That's probably enough hugging now.

The DOCTOR and Isabella break the hug.

RONALD :
So her flesh avatar was with us all that time. But that means they were projecting a control signal right into the TARDIS. Wherever we were in time and space.

DOCTOR:
Yeah, they're very clever.

Isabella :
Who are?

RONALD :
Whoever wants our baby.

Isabella :
But why do they want her?

DOCTOR:
Exactly!

RONALD :
Is there anything you're not telling us? You knew Isabella wasn't real, you never said.

DOCTOR:
Well, I couldn't be sure they weren't listening.

Isabella :
But you always hold out on us. Please, not this time. Doctor, it's our baby. Tell us something. One little thing.

DOCTOR:
It's mine.

RONALD :
What is?

DOCTOR:
The cot. It's my cot. I slept in there.

RONALD  looks at the hanging mobile over the cot.

Isabella :
Oh, my God. It's the Doctor's first stars.

RONALD :
She's...

Isabella reaches into her pocket and pulls out the prayer leaf to wipe around MELODY'S mouth.

STRAX:
Drop your weapons. State your rank and intent! (he marches LORNA over to them) I found it listening at the door!