A Good Man Goes to War Pt 3

INT. DEMON'S RUN, HANGAR

MANTON is on a stage, three Headless Monks behind him. The soldiers stand at ease as they listen. KOVARIAN is standing to the side.

MANTON:
He is not the devil. He is not a god. He is not a goblin, or a phantom or a trickster. The Doctor is a living, breathing man, and as I look around this room I know one thing... We're sure as hell going to fix that.

The soldiers cheer.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, NURSERY

Isabella is watching MANTON through the window as LORNA enters. She slowly approaches AMY, holding something in her hand.

LORNA:
Sorry. I shouldn't be here, I'm meant to be at the thing. I brought you something. Your child's name, in the language of my people. (it is what she was sewing earlier) It's a prayer leaf and we believe, if you keep this with you, your child will always come home to you.

Isabella :
Can I borrow your gun?

LORNA:
Why?

Isabella :
Cos I've got a feeling you're going to keep talking. (faces window) Talking like he's famous. The Doctor isn't famous...

LORNA:
He meets a lot of people. Some of them...remember. (smiles) He's sort of like a...I dunno. A dark legend.

Isabella :
Dark?! Have you met him?

LORNA:
Yeah.

Isabella turns around.

LORNA:
But I was just a little girl.

Isabella :
So was I.

LORNA:
You've been with him a long time then.

Isabella :
No. He came back for me.

LORNA:
You must be very special.

Isabella :
Hey. You can wait a long time for the Doctor. But he's worth it. OK? (walks to LORNA) The thing is, he's coming. No question about it. Just you make sure you're on the right side when he gets here. Not for my sake...for yours. (holds out her hand and LORNA gives her the prayer leaf)Thank you.

Isabella holds the prayer leaf between her hands as LORNA leaves.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, HANGAR

MANTON continues his speech. Isabella continues to watch from the window.

MANTON:
On this day, in this place, the Doctor will fall.

The soldiers cheer.

MANTON:
The man who talks, the man who reasons, the man who lies, will meet the perfect answer. Some of you have wondered why have we have allied ourselves with the Headless Monks.

LORNA arrives and takes her position.

MANTON:
Perhaps you should have wondered why we call them Headless. It's time you knew what these guys have sacrificed for faith. As you all know, it is a Level One Heresy, punishable by death, to lower the hood of a Headless Monk. But by the divine grant of the Papal Mainframe herself, on this one and only occasion, I can show you the truth. Because these guys never can be... (lowers hood of first monk to show a knotted stump where the head and neck
should have been)
persuaded! They NEVER can be...(lowers hood of second monk) Afraid. (approaches third monk) And they can never, ever be...

The monk throws back its own hood to reveal the DOCTOR.

DOCTOR:
Surprised!

The soldiers are stunned and AMY smiles and presses her hands against the window.

DOCTOR:
Hello everyone! Guess who! (walks to the front of the stage) Please point a gun at me if it helps you relax.

All the soldiers—except LORNA—aim their guns at the DOCTOR. The two monks draw energized swords.

DOCTOR:
You're only human.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, COMMUNICATION

VASTRA and JENNY enter communication and put swords to the two soldiers' necks.

VASTRA:
Go on, resist. I'm ever so hungry.

JENNY:
Now, dear, which button controls the lights?

INT. DEMON'S RUN, HANGAR

MANTON aims his gun on the DOCTOR.

MANTON:
Doctor, you will come with me, right now!

The DOCTOR turns and smiles at MANTON.

DOCTOR:
Three minutes, forty seconds. Isabella Pond! Get your coat!

The DOCTOR puts his hood back on just as the lights go out. When they come back on, he's gone.

DOCTOR: (over speaker)
I'm not a phantom.

MANTON:
Doctor?

DOCTOR: (over speaker)
I'm not a trickster.

MANTON:
Doctor?

DOCTOR: (over speaker)
I'm a monk.

MANTON:
Doctor, show yourself!

SOLDIER:
It's him! He's here! (aims gun at the monks)

Other soldiers aim their guns at the monks as well. The monks "charge" their swords.

SOLDIER:
It's him!

The SOLDIER shoots one of the monks. There is tension between the two factions.

MANTON:
Weapons down! Do not fire!

One of the monks raises his hand and energy shoots from it, killing a soldier.

MANTON:
NOOO!

The monks and the soldiers start fighting each other.

KOVARIAN:
(to guards) Follow me.

MANTON:
Doctor! Doctor!

INT. DEMON'S RUN, COMMUNICATION

While VASTRA works the controls, JENNY looks at the screen at MANTON

JENNY:
Clever, isn't he?

VASTRA:
And rather attractive.

Behind them, the two soldiers are tied up on the floor.

JENNY:
You do realise he's a man, don't you, ma'am?

VASTRA:
Mammals. They all look alike.

JENNY:
Oh, thank you!

The soldiers work their way to the door lock override on the wall.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, HANGAR

MANTON aims his gun on the DOCTOR.

MANTON:
Nobody discharge their weapon in this room. Nobody!

LORNA sees a figure in a monk's robe by one of the doors. The DOCTOR uses the sonic

MANTON:
Do not fire!

INT. DEMON'S RUN, COMMUNICATION

VASTRA:
Was I being insensitive again, dear? I don't know why you put up with me. (turns and uses her long tongue on the soldier)

INT. DEMON'S RUN, HANGAR

MANTON:
Stop, wait! Listen to me!

LORNA sees the DOCTOR sneak out the door and follows.

MANTON:
I'm disarming my weapon pack. (removes pack from gun) Monks, I do this in good faith! I am now unarmed. (places pack on the floor) All of you, discharge your weapon packs. The Doctor is trying to make fools of us... We are soldiers of God, we are not fools! We are not fools!

ALL:
We are not fools! (soldiers remove packs)

MANTON:
We are not fools!

SOLDIER 2:
We are not fools!

More soldiers remove packs. MANTON leads the chant and the soldiers continue to follow his head.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, COMMUNICATION

VASTRA:
Colonel Manton is regaining control.

JENNY:
Where's the Doctor gone?

INT. DEMON'S RUN, CORRIDOR

LORNA finds the DOCTOR'S discarded disguise and continues to follow.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, HANGAR

The soldiers continue their chant and soon they are all unarmed and the monks have lowered their swords. A female soldier puts down her weapon and then looks into the face of an armed Silurian. Other Silurians beam in and soon have the soldiers surrounded. Judoon appear as well. STRAX appears on the stage next to MANTON, gun aimed at him.

STRAX:
This base is now under our command.

MANTON:
I have a fleet out there! If Demons Run goes down, there's an automatic distress call.

DOCTOR: (over speaker)
Not if we knock out your communications array.

The DOCTOR is on a raised platform overlooking the hangar speaking into a microphone.

DOCTOR:
And you've got incoming!

PILOT: (over speaker)
Danny Boy to the Doctor. Danny Boy to the Doctor.

DOCTOR:
Give 'em hell, Danny Boy! (puts arms out and pretends to be a plane)

SPACE

The Spitfires from "Victory of the Daleks" fire upon Demon's Run.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, NURSERY

As the asteroid rocks from the hits, AMY smiles.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, MAINTENANCE CORRIDOR

KOVARIAN and her two soldiers brace themselves.

KOVARIAN:
I need to get off this station now. Bring me the child!

The soldiers turn back.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, HANGAR

PILOT:
Target destroyed.

The DOCTOR laughs.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, NURSERY

Isabella laughs.

INT. DEMON'S RUN, HANGAR

MANTON hangs his head.

STRAX:
Don't slump, it's bad for your spine!

INT. DEMON'S RUN, CORRIDOR

The soldiers return carrying the basinet between them.

KOVARIAN:
Get back in there with the rest of them. Remember, the Doctor must think he's winning, right until the trap

closes! I'll take my ship from here.

KOVARIAN keys in a code at the door as the two soldiers set down the basinet and leave. LORNA is hiding at a corner. She takes off her pack and leaves quietly.

COMPUTER:
Airlock engaged. Shuttle ready for boarding.