forty-six!

i've been so excited for this chapter because i got to put in a bit about sunsets (that oli got a preview of a really long time ago:]) that i think is really cute

also because i think you guys need this cursed knowledge; i'm making it canon that june is an avid listener of cupcakke, and yes i did add a few songs to the playlist in case you guys havent listened to it since i added them in.

Nedia and June went back to school in time for lunch, which was after third period, and June managed to scare Malcom when they sat down next to him.

Malcom jumped in his seat, putting his hand over his heart and leaning back a little. "You scared me," he accused.

June smiled. "I can tell."

Everything else went as normal. Nedia invited them to skip the rest of their classes with her, but they both declined this time. June had barely drunk any of the spiked juice, but he was still feeling the buzz as he went about his classes. The bottle's presence in his backpack taunted him the whole rest of the school day.

It wasn't until Malcom dropped him off at his house and he went down to the kitchen for a glass of water after putting his backpack in his room that something really went wrong.

"Skipping school now?" Sarah asked.

June spun on his heel to face her. "Wha-"

"I don't want your excuses. What the hell made you think it was okay to skip your class? Was it Malcom? Do I need to ground you from seeing him?"

June's eyes widened. "No! No, he had nothing to do with it."

"Was it that other girl you started hanging out with? Nedia?"

June tried not to give it away, but he knew that the moment he hesitated, he was done for. This was an interrogation, and June was all too guilty.

"So it is her." Sarah seemed more pissed than she was before she knew who June's accomplice was. 

"I- yeah," June reluctantly confirmed. He knew the consequences were worse if he lied.

"So what is it about her that makes you think you can get away with this shit?" Sarah demanded. "Huh? Tell me."

"I don't know," June muttered. What he wanted  to say was that she so far has been the only girl his age that wasn't an asshole to him right from the start, but he knew his mom wouldn't appreciate that answer.

"You won't be accepted into any college if you have a record of skipping class. Your grades will fall and people will look at you and think you're a failure. You don't want that, do you?"

June blinked away tears. "No."

"First it was dyeing your beautiful blonde hair. You look weird with brown hair, and I hate it. Now it's skipping school. I don't know what's gotten into you lately, but you need to knock it off before it gets you in trouble in the future." Sarah was about to walk away, but then added onto her speech. "I don't want you hanging around that girl anymore. She's a bad influence. And don't forget about that fork she threw at Logan's friend on Logan's birthday."

"She's like, my only other friend, mom," June protested.

"Then you better make some new ones. I don't want you around her." Sarah saw how close to tears June was and approached him to cup his face in her hands. "I'm just looking out for you, is all. You know I wouldn't tell you to lose your friend just because. She's a bad friend for wanting you to fail."