forty-nine!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR 100K READS OMG !!

June had scheduled a couple job interviews, but he didn't like the thought of being stuck dealing with Karens, so he asked his mom to help him find babysitting gigs, which was much easier.

He really enjoyed being around kids, which made Malcom make a joke about Technoblade when he mentioned it.

He was glad that his first gig was within walking distance - although a bit far - because it was a little embarrassing to be dropped off everywhere by his mom or Malcom when he could legally get his license.

"Sophie, this is Quinn," Sarah's friend told June. She tried to nudge him forward. "He's a bit shy, but he'll warm up to you quick."

"Hi, Quinn!" June greeted the four-year-old. "How are you?"

"Good," Quinn mumbled. He hid behind his mom's leg a bit.

Sarah's friend stepped away, to the door. "Well, have fun! Thanks again for offering to babysit, Sophie. It really means a lot."

"Anytime," June replied genuinely.

"Oh! You can have a few friends over if you want, but please choose wisely, and keep it to three max. He gets overwhelmed easily."

With that, Quinn's mom left the two boys alone.

Quinn was clearly not gonna speak first, so June introduced himself.

"Hi, Quinn, I'm June," he said, offering a hand forth as he crouched down to the toddler's level.

"Mommy said your name is Sophie." Quinn looked hesitant.

June smiled at him. "Well yeah, but I go by June. It's.. a nickname."

"Why do you look like a boy?"

A wave of gender euphoria washed through June. "Because I am one!" he replied cheerily.

Quinn frowned, confused. "But mommy.. calls you a girl..?"

June kept his hand outstretched. "Some people don't know I'm a boy. But you do, because you're special enough to know."

Quinn lit up. "I'm special?"

June smiled again, nodding. He put a finger to his lips. "As long as you keep it a secret. I'm undercover, like a spy!"

Quinn gasped excitedly. "That's so cool!"

June nodded, agreeing. "Yeah! I used to be a girl, but I'm a secret boy now."

Quinn tilted his head. "Does that mean I could be a girl if I wanted?"

June grinned. "Yeah! Do you think you're a girl?"

Quinn thought for a moment. "I don't know what being a girl feels like, so I don't know!"

June giggled, making Quinn do the same. "That's okay. Do you think you'll be okay with me inviting my boyfriend over to come hang out with us too?"

Quinn looked at him in amazement. "Boys can have boyfriends?"

"Yeah, they can," June confirmed. "Even secret boys."

"Does he know you're a boy?"

"Yep! He was the.. second person who knew I was a boy."

Quinn clapped a few times from excitement. "I wanna meet him! Please?"

June chuckled. "Shall we call him?" Quinn nodded.

June pulled his phone from his pocket and went to his contacts to video call Malcom.