Back in the Game (COMPLETE)

By Sparkplug02

The Clone War has resumed after its brief pause due to the fall of Chancellor Palpatine, who has been reveale... More

1.1.1
9.1.0
9.1.1
9.1.2
9.1.3
9.1.4
9.2.1
9.2.2
9.2.3
9.2.4
9.3.1
9.3.2
9.3.3
9.3.4
9.4.1
9.4.2
9.4.3
9.5.1
9.5.2
9.5.3
9.5.4
9.6.1
9.6.2
9.6.3
9.7.1
9.7.2
9.7.3
9.7.4
9.8.1
9.8.2
9.8.3
9.9.1
9.9.2
9.9.3
9.9.4
9.9.5
Check In Time!!!
9.9.6
9.9.7
Not An Update
9.10.1
9.10.2
9.10.3
9.10.4
9.10.5
9.10.6
9.10.7
9.11.1
9.11.2
9.11.3
9.11.4
9.12.1
9.12.2
9.12.3
9.12.4
9.12.5
9.13.1
9.13.2
9.13.3
9.13.4
9.14.1
9.14.2
9.14.3
9.14.4
9.14.5
9.15.1
9.15.2
9.15.3
9.15.4
9.15.5
9.15.6
9.16.1
9.16.2
9.16.3
9.16.4
9.16.5
9.16.6
9.16.7
9.16.8
9.17.1
9.17.2
9.17.3
Epilogue
Sequel Information
Naberrie Family Part 1
Naberrie Family Part 2
Analysis
Author's Goodbye

9.17.4

1K 52 46
By Sparkplug02

The future Ahsoka Tano feared came to pass, in time.

Every press organization in the galaxy ate up the story about the sudden disappearance of the Jedi Order, naming it the Jedi Purge, for lack of more understanding. Reporters crowded the Senate Building, asking why had the protectors of the Republic been executed where they had stood. Some people even tried to look for answers in the Jedi Temple, but all they saw were dead bodies and destruction around every corner. No answers came from there, although some incredible and horrifying footage did.

The Senate, for once, didn't have an answer either. They still hadn't broken to the public that for the second time, the Chancellor was dead. Not only that, but their investigators were still trying to figure out exactly what had happened, and only so many answers were found. Politicians fled Coruscant, fearing that the clone troopers would turn on them too.

Eventually, nearly all of the clone commanding officers were pulled in for questioning. Many of them gave the same answer: Chancellor Kanai activated Order 66. When asked what that was, they explained that any and all Jedi leadership must be executed for treason against the Republic. Yet despite their readiness to respond, none of them could answer exactly what act of treason they committed.

It wasn't like they could ask the Chancellor herself. Every clone that was reported to be on Coruscant the day Kayla Kanai died was brought in for interrogation, but without the Jedi to assist them, it was difficult to tell who was lying and who was telling the truth. Every single clone they brought in claimed that they were innocent and that they had not pulled the trigger against the leader of the Senate. They scoured the planet for anyone who showed the slightest hint of falsehood, but none was found. None of them believed they had killed her.

Not only that, but there was no evidence able to be found for the claim that the Chancellor had ordered for the death of the Jedi, nor was there any sign that they had committed treason. They tried, to their credit, they really did, but there was nothing. All the Senate had to work with were corrupted security footage, a lone blaster with clone DNA on it, thousands of dead bodies, and an empty Chancellor's chair.

The Republic turned to the Kaminoins next. Can you confirm anything your clones have said? they asked. Is there such a thing as an Order 66?

Oh, yes, they answered, as well as 149 other orders. Would you like to know more about them? There's an order where a civilian population may be threatened to be executed in order to capture a single target. There's an order where all communicators must be abandoned. There's an order where the clones must detain the Chancellor with lethal force if necessary. And Order 66? If the Jedi were to be accused of treason, why then yes, they would all be executed on sight.

And why would such horrendous orders exist? the Republic asked, horrified, and beginning to worry for their own safety.

Darth Sideous ordered that inhibitor chips must be placed inside the heads of the clones that Master Sifo-Dyas asked for, they responded.

Darth Sideous?!? they repeated, appalled. Why would you do anything for a Sith? Why was no one made aware of this sooner?

The Kaminoins were perplexed. Your Chancellor seemed well aware of the situation! they exclaimed. Did he not tell you this before he was killed?

It was then clear who the true perpetrator was in this story, but the Senate knew very well that the people would not stand for the blame to be set on a person who was already dead. They needed a living convict for the Republic to be satisfied.

The next day, they issued a statement, ordering for ALL clones to report to Kamino for immediate testing. While nothing was said about the purpose of this recall, the press immediately started jumping to conclusions. BETRAYAL IN THE REPUBLIC!!! the headlines shouted at the citizens. A DEADLY CONSPIRACY EXPOSED!!! THE TRUE PURPOSE FOR THE CLONE ARMY!!! Panic escalated exponentially, and while the clones underwent immediate surgery to remove the inhibitor chips, Dooku sat back and watched his brilliant plan play out exactly as he had expected it to.

He ordered his battle droids to begin occupying systems that had now been left defenseless. Instead of being met with fear and terror, as they usually were, the Republic people seemed to almost welcome the invasion. The battalions of droids were not resisted in any way shape or form. Even when capital cities were overtaken by swarms of the droids, no one really panicked. Droids won't revolt, the people argued. They're programmed, they wouldn't turn on their leaders, their beloved generals like the clones did.

When the clones were redeployed, chip-free and extremely traumatized by the possibility that Order 66 might have been a mistake, that they betrayed their Jedi for nothing, they realized that the terror was just beginning. It was their presence that was met with protesting and resistance. People swarmed to the streets, even to the battlefield, shouting for the clone troopers to go back where they came from. They created meat shields around the droids, creating signs and blocking their paths into their cities. The protests began to spread until hundreds of senators reported that their people were refusing the protection of the clones.

Some of them had to bow out immediately. They had elections coming up soon, and if the chaos remained for any longer, they would lose their seat in their system's government. The Republic pulled the clone troopers from those systems, much to the rejoicing of their people. Some of them already had battle droids there, so when the Separatists began reaching out to them, alerting the governments that a truce was able to be made if they wanted to be free of occupation, some of them joined right up. The droids were already here anyway.

The systems that remained loyal to the Republic were almost disgusted by the betrayal of these systems, but when those senators did not do the same, the protests began turning into riots. Civilians marched onto the government campuses by the thousands, demanding that their leaders get rid of the clones that roamed their planet. Of course, most of the time, it was the clones who were guarding these buildings, which only escalated the tensions. More Senators began leaving the Republic, tanking the economy and the Republic's hopes at winning the Clone War.

Just when it was thought that it couldn't get any worse, when entire systems were on the verge of civil war and the Republic Senate was about ready to make a move, Dooku pressed the magic button that sealed the fate of the Republic. Broadcasting on all frequencies, he declared to the entire galaxy that the Confederacy of Independent Systems was forming itself into an Empire, one that sought to unite the whole galaxy under one banner. Under this new Empire, Dooku promised that any clone forces identified in Imperial systems would be hunted down and executed for treason against the late Chancellor Kanai and the Jedi Order.

No one even questioned why a Sith Lord would want to avenge the Jedi. All the people heard was 'clones would be hunted down and executed' and they were in. Riots in Republic systems went from tense and uncivilized to downright violent. Citizens with weapons brought them to their protests, and the people took it upon themselves to carry out the Empire's promise. It didn't matter if their government didn't join with the Empire, because the people were already loyal to it. Clones began dropping like flies all across the galaxy. Protesters began screaming things like "Justice for the Jedi!" and "All hail our glorious Empire!" If what remained of the Republic Senate hadn't gotten the message by then, they got it now. The Republic broke apart, dissipating into nothing in a matter of days.

Kamino called for the full retreat of the clones, and it was up to them to tell them that the Republic had been disbanded and that the Clone War indeed was effectively over. Everyone was glad to get out of the riots, even if it meant that their entire purpose had been served. They didn't want to be among those who had been killed by the new Imperial citizens.

Instead, days later, Dooku launched a full invasion of Kamino. A few agents were sent in to retrieve specific data from the Kaminoin database, but other than that, the droids were ordered to obliterate the planet. Yes, a few clones managed to escape in the midst of the chaos, but the majority of them were destroyed. Over a decade and a half of work went up in flames, only to be quenched by the raging sea underneath them as the supports went down and the buildings collapsed. All life on Kamino was lost beneath the crashing waves, to be ridiculed and later forgotten.

When Emperor Dooku announced the fall of Kamino, there was much celebrating among the Imperial systems. It didn't matter if the system had originally been Republic or Separatist, the fact that the Clone War was over gave rise to many parades and parties across the galaxy. The word 'clone' became derogatory, and if anyone even mentioned the Republic, it was cause for suspicion, and they were usually reported within the hour. Most people forgot why it was such an abomination to begin with, but it didn't stop them from wanting nothing to do with it.

The festivities died down after a while, of course, but the fierce hatred for the clone army didn't. Sure, many systems had security forces of their own, but the people knew that not every system was a part of the Empire. There will still plenty of neutral systems, and some of them had been a part of the Republic. There were bound to be traitors hiding in the shadows, still whispering blasphemies against the Emperor. Droids were functional, but people wanted to fight. They wanted to hunt down the traitors that made them so afraid. They went to their leaders, asking for any opportunity to serve their Emperor.

And give them an opportunity, he did. Recruiting stations were set up, and anyone who had a willing heart and a breathing body was eligible. Warriors, pilots, businessmen, janitors, strategists, economists, all were welcome to enlist in the Imperial Army.

They were surprised at first by how much their armor began to resemble the Republic regalia they hated so much. Discontent spread until the Emperor explained to them: This armor was made to mock the clones they feared so much. The Empire would give it new meaning, so long as it donned the men and women who wore it willingly. Let the people of the Empire forget what it used to mean, for now they will look upon the white and black armor and not be afraid, but proud and comforted by the presence of their own kind, their own friends and family instead of humans bred in a lab.

So they wore it, and they showed it off to the people in their communities. Look, they said, it's better than the stuff they gave those cloned freaks. When one year had passed since the Jedi Purge, parades were put on across the Empire, and hundreds upon thousands of white stormtroopers were marched down the streets, while their communities threw flowers and ribbons in their path to honor their brave, fearless soldiers. The day was dubbed 'Empire Day', and nearly every system across the galaxy celebrated it fiercely.

Some of them even got deployed to other systems, and they were so excited to travel. They wanted to take pictures whenever they were off duty to bring back to show their children. It was difficult to find the time, though, especially since there were so many more troublemakers here than there were on their home planet. People here acted so suspiciously, and it's not like the stormtroopers knew anyone here, so they wouldn't have known otherwise. If you really are innocent though, why are you acting that way?

The deployments lasted longer than they thought, but they were finally given chances to go home and visit their families. They didn't expect that some of their families would be gone, though. What happened to them? they would ask their neighbors. Did terrorists kill them? No, the neighbors would answer, they were arrested. Your children were the terrorists. How could you raise them to do such a thing? Your spouse has been heartbroken in your absence. Of course, this was assuming the spouse hadn't also been arrested.

No, it's not possible, they thought, but it was too late. They couldn't find their families, no matter how hard they looked. Might as well enlist for another tour, they decided. It's shameful to have criminals for a family anyway. I'll go back, and make sure that no one else will have to suffer such a disgrace. I'll find all the terrorists, and I'll make sure they get what they deserve.

So the spokes of the wheel of pain began to spin, all across the galaxy. More people enlisted, eager to stamp out resistance to the Empire, only to come home and find that their own kin had resisted, or at least been arrested for resisting. Oppression became normal, for if you didn't give up everything to serve your Emperor, how patriotic were you, really? It ought to be an honor to make machines of war for the Empire so that our brave soldiers could use them to fight down all of the unrest in the galaxy. It ought to be an honor to sacrifice resources so that our stormtroopers will have something to eat while they defend us from civil war. It ought to be an honor for children to finally come of age so that they might follow in their parents footsteps and fight for the Empire.

When light is dimmed, not dramatically but slowly over time, eyes adjust to the darkness and resist change to the current state of the room. Likewise, as the people were slowly pressed under the thumb of Emperor Dooku, they didn't want things to change. It was years for anyone finally began to consider that perhaps something more sinister was afoot. By the time they did, the system had grown a hundredfold, and there was nothing one person could do to change it.

Yet hope was not lost for the galaxy. Though they were wise enough to keep their mouth shut and to hide from the Empire that so desperately wanted to kill them, those who had once recognized the good in the Republic survived. Despite the downward spiral the galaxy would soon follow, it was not going to be left in darkness.

There was a young Padawan, alone and afraid, but determined to survive for his Master's sake. He had to make sure her sacrifice was worth it, and that she had not wasted her life protecting his. He couldn't trust anyone, and anyone might want to kill him. The lightsaber he had with him stayed hidden, and his abilities remained a secret. No one must know where he had come from, and who he was.

There was a Twi'lek girl, watching her father meet with his advisors to try and decide what must be done for their people with the chaos that had ensued in the Republic. She had been sent out to play while they argued, but she found a scrap Y-wing bomber and a destroyed astromech and figured it couldn't hurt to try and repair the droid.

There was a Lasat in the Honor Guard of his people, unaware of the devastation that would one day come to his homeworld. He didn't know what would become of his family and friends, he didn't know that one day he would lose it all. It did not occur to him that the growing Empire had more use for his people dead than alive because they were not human. He didn't know that one day, there would be a much bigger battle to fight.

There was a little girl on Mandalore who would grow up listening to her mother tell her the story of the Siege of Mandalore. She would listen to how Lady Kryze had rallied up loyal Mandalorians to take back the capital, and how she had allied herself with a Republic General to win it back from the hands of Darth Maul. That story would inspire the little girl, and one day it would be the reason she realized the Empire was not a power to be respected but destroyed.

There was a baby boy with blue hair, unaware that his birthday landed on the same day an Empire was born. He was unaware of any greater power, either legal, militia, or supernatural. His parents had no idea of what kind of life their son would lead, but they knew they would sacrifice the world to protect him.

There was a commander, one who had been saved by his sister and was determined to do the same for his brothers. He had to fight to stay alive, to make her sacrifice worth it, he had to be as brave and fearless as she had been. On his left hand, a mark was painted onto his armor, one that would always remind him of what he was fighting for, and more importantly, who he was fighting for.

There was a senator on Naboo, willing to risk everything to protect her family and the ones she loved. Her people needed her to keep them safe, even if they didn't know that an Empire was about to threaten their existence. She was determined to fight for democracy and believed that one day, justice, true justice, would win out in the end.

There was a Jedi Master who had been abandoned by everyone except his apprentice. He had lost so much that he held dear, so many that he had loved. Everyone he had left was in the house he now called home, and he clung to it with everything he had left.

There was a hero, one who refused to lose faith in the Light. Even after so much loss and pain, he knew there was still hope. The battle was over, but the fight would always remain, and one day he would rise up and join it once more. He had a family to protect, but he also had a promise to keep. A promise to be fearless and to protect others as his best friend once had.

There were twins, a boy and a girl, who were being held safe by people who loved them. The world they were born into was turning harsh and cruel, but they would not be exposed to the mistakes that had been made by those before them. They were a chance to make past wrongs right, and to relearn what the Light Side of the Force could be. They were the first of a new generation of believers and a new hope for the galaxy.

Dooku wanted to snuff out the Jedi and all who believed in them, but as the Jedi had not destroyed the Sith one thousand years ago, the Sith had not completely destroyed the Jedi. There were survivors, those who remembered the lessons and mistakes the Jedi Order had passed down to them. Those survivors hid and went on the run, trying to evade the Empire that so desperately wanted to kill them. Where they went, trouble followed, because they could not pass up a chance to do the right thing. The right thing was against the law, and as far as the Empire was concerned, incriminated them indefinitely. The Emperor forbid that any of them would actually band together, but the Emperor, for all his authority, had no power over them.

There was a time that the Jedi were peacekeepers, but in the face of oppression and persecution in every direction, peace was no longer an option. Survivors became outcasts. Outcasts became troublemakers. Troublemakers became terrorists. Terrorists became scum.

Rebel scum.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 4.1K 36
Anakin Skywalker will not become Darth Vader. Not yet, anyway. Padmé saved him from a lifetime of regret by pulling him out of the fateful battle bet...
46.1K 1.7K 67
An episodic, Clone Wars-style story; Obi-Wan Kenobi has an interesting mission ahead of him. A Gray Jedi has deserted his order and is looking to rep...
55.3K 945 12
Y/n left the Jedi Order at 19 to be with her family in Alderaan in hopes of a somewhat normal life, not wanting to be involved with the Clone Wars an...
28.8K 537 33
The war is over, the jedi were executed for treason, and then imperial times had begun. The only jedi left were Obi-Wan, Yoda, and of course Anakin's...