Something about you (Norminah)

By TheDreamCatcher45

People say that the line between love and hate is thin. What they don't tell you is that sometimes it's invis... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
A/n
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Dear Love
A/n
Chapter Fifty Five

Chapter Fifteen

1.5K 77 60
By TheDreamCatcher45

"Hi Miss Connie, I'm sorry to keep you waiting. I was in a meeting down town and I had to rush back here. I hope you haven't been waiting too long?"

"Oh hush child, have a seat. I already ordered for us, you still like hot cocoa with whipped cream and sprinkles right?"

I nodded, "yes ma'am."

"Diabetes in a cup," she muttered and I fought the urge to laugh at the face she made as the waitress placed our cups and plates in front of us. "It's a good thing you don't eat like this often. You don't eat like this often right?"

"No ma'am I do not. I do like to indulge every now and then though."

She waved me off, "so what did you want to meet with me about?"

"Straight to the point."

"When you get to a certain age, you don't waste time with unnecessary niceties and small talk. I prefer people just tell me what they want and go. Saves me the trouble of having to smile too much."

"Well then I won't waste your time Miss Connie. So you know the policy about fraternization between superiors and employees?"

Lines began to form in her brow and she pinned me with her gaze. "What about it?"

"What if I knew about someone in the Hamilton group that was in a relationship with their employee. B-But it's not just a work tryst, they're both consenting adults and truly interested beyond their jobs, and they're still being completely professional at work."

"If this really is happening, you need to say something."

"It's just a hunch for now, I've seen things to make me suspect that there might be more going on but nothing that confirms those suspicions."

Connie took a sip of her coffee and looked me dead in the eye. "You need to confirm that it's either true or false then you need to report it. That rule is in place for a reason."

"But doesn't it seem unfair? I mean what if their relationship is real and they were unfortunate enough to meet at a company that they both love working at."

"I don't always agree but it's for everyone's safety."

I sighed, "so you wouldn't consider going to the board and proposing an amendment to the policy?"

"Not right now I won't, and don't have this conversation with anyone else on the board, for the sake of these two people that you're talking about and your own."

"But—"

"–You'll understand one day when you're in your mother's position. You pick your battles and you pick wisely. Now isn't the right time to try and get the people upstairs to reconsider policies like this, though Valentine's Day is coming up."

I smiled at the attempt at humor, "okay I will figure out if they're really together or not."

"It's not you right? Because I hope for your sake it's not you."

"No it's not me Miss Connie, I don't have a time for love anyway. I'm too busy securing my bag."

We talked for a little longer before she finally had to leave. "Where are you headed? I can take you."

I shook my head, "it's too late to head back to the office so I'll just stay here and get some work done then I'll go home."

"Alright, don't be a stranger Normani, excluding family, you're one of the few people in your generation that I enjoy conversing with."

"Yes ma'am. Thank you for meeting with me." I leaned back in my chair and watched her leave. After ordering again, I took my laptop out and started working. I had a few articles to edit, I had to finalize the articles for the digital issue and analytics to look over and applications to sort through. Once I had my latte and muffin, I put on my earphones and go to work.

The sound of my phone ringing interrupted Rihanna's voice and I frowned when I saw that it was Dinah. "Hey Hansen, what's up?"

"Hey babe, I was just calling to see if we are still on for dinner tonight?"

"I'm kind of swamped here, you mind if we do it another night?"

"Oh yeah sure, do you want me to come over? I can bring dinner?"

"No babe don't worry about me, see you tomorrow at work," I answered.

I stayed until it was dark out before texting Jackson to come and pick me up from the café. I checked my emails on the way back to my apartment and groaned when I saw that the designer we were supposed to be featuring in the digital issue had dropped out.

"Fuck... I hate this job sometimes."

"Anything I can help with Miss Normani?"

I shook my head, "no, but thank you Jax. I just have to improvise. I think I'm going to stay late tomorrow, so I'll just take a cab home from work."

"I can stay later and pick you up?"

"No it's alright Jax, don't worry about me."

He shook his head, "you have to let me do my job at some point."

"I know, and I will, but not tomorrow..."

"Alright, we are here," he said as he got out of the car. "If you do decide to go anywhere, please give me a call."

"I will, thank you Jax."

"You're welcome Miss Normani. Have a goodnight."

"You too Jax."

Blair| 19:47:
Hey, wanna go to JJ's party? It's not one of those get dressed up things.

Normani| 19:49:
I'm in 🤷🏽‍♀️

Blair| 18:49:
Cool, be ready by 9.

A part of me felt guilty about cancelling on Dinah and telling her that I was going to work all night, but I also wanted to forget my conversation with Connie and forget that I was digital editor for a while.

I picked out a pair of black ripped jeans, a black crop top and a navy green bomber jacket and went into the bathroom to take a shower. Steam quickly filled the room and I sat on the edge of the bathtub as I took my clothes off and put them into the laundry basket.

I flinched when the lukewarm water hit my body and opened the hot water faucet a little more. I could feel my mind fading into dullness, almost as though the water wasn't just washing the day away, but every part of me. I stood there for what felt like only a few minutes before the sound of my phone ringing ripped me out of my blissfully unaware state. It was Blair, and I had spent longer than just a few minutes in the shower. I texted him back and went to my room to finish getting ready.

Half an hour later, I opened the door to let my friends into my apartment. "Girl I called and you texted back, the fuck is that?"

"I wasn't in a position to text. Hold on, I just need to find shoes then we can go. Can you text Jax and tell him the address."

"Where's your phone?"

"Kitchen counter!"

When I came back out, the three of them were huddled over my phone. "Are your guys reading my messages?"

Choie shook her head as she handed me the phone to show me the email that I had gotten from HR. I sighed as I read it. "That was to be expected."

"What are you going to do?"

"Right now I'm going out with my friends and I'm going to get drunk and we're not going to talk about this until I bring it up again, is that okay?"

"Okay," Miche answered. "Aye you're wearing the belly button ring?"

I shrugged, "I just felt like it, plus I don't want it to close over because this shit hurt."

Jackson smiled at me, "I had a feeling you'd be going out again."

"We might be out late though so after this take the rest of the night off."

"Alright Miss Normani. There are drinks in the back by the way."

"Thank you Jax."

Choie handed me a glass of wine when I got into the car. By the time we got to Brooklyn, I was buzzed and starting to feel the effects of the alcohol.

There were a few paparazzi camped outside the building as we drove up, Choie, Blair and Miche got out first and I heard the paparazzi shouting questions at them as they walked into the building. I had been about to get out when Jackson stopped me.

"What's up Jax?"

"Are you sure you don't want me to be on call? I can pick you up at any time."

I smiled and patted his shoulder, "I'm sure Jax, but thank you for the offer. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

I ignored the paparazzi as I crossed the road to go into the building and I almost didn't hear Khalid call out to me.

"Aye Mani!"

"Khalid!" I screamed as I wrapped my arms around his neck. "I've missed you so much!"

"That's a lie," he mumbled as he leaned back to look at me. "Look at you, you look amazing!"

I flicked my hair, "well of course. I really have missed you though, did you get my gift?"

"Yes, I love it! Did you get mine?"

"I did! Oh my gosh it's actually so good to see you though."

He laughed, "see this is why I love you, you just be having the best reactions to bumping into me at a party. We should head inside before more of them get here," he gestured to the paparazzi and put his arm around me as we walked into the building. "So what's up with you Miss Big Time Digital Editor."

"Nothing much, I got a girlfriend now but that's really it for big ass changes. I'm still the same old me."

"You're not if you got a girlfriend. Is it that girl you were telling me about? Does this mean you can't be my girl in a music video every again?"

I laughed, "you know I'm always down to be your queen."

"Speaking of being my queen, I got a new song coming out and I would love it if you could be in the video?"

"I'll think about it."

He rolled his eyes. "You know you'll say yes. Are we still on for the brunch? And my birthday?"

I nodded, "yeah I get in on Thursday and I got a meeting that night but I'm all yours for the weekend."

"What took you so long?" Blair asked as he handed me a drink. He turned to the bar tender and ordered another drink. "Robinson."

"Caldwell," he responded. "Hey Miche, what's up Short One?"

Choie rolled her eyes, "you're just mad because Mani loves me more than you."

"You've known her longer ass. Alright there's some people that I gotta see, but we're getting food after this. Blair let me introduce you to this dude."

"We'll come and find you guys whenever," Blair said as he pulled Miche away.

I sat down beside Choie at the bar and looked over at the dance floor which was packed with writhing bodies. There were four bars that lined the walls and either couches or tables for people who wanted a break from the music. Choie nudged me and pointed to JJ who was waving at both of us while getting a lap dance.

"He's a dork but he does know how to throw a party."

I waved back at him as I took a sip of my drink, "I need to be drunk before I talk to him. Actually he needs to be more drunk before I talk to him."

"Later?" Choie laughed. "So how are you really?"

"She's to good for me," my shoulders slumped as I stared down at my drink. "She's smart, sweet, beautiful, kind... and I'm just a fuck girl with commitment issues."

Choie's hand moved and before I could register what she was doing, her hand came down hard on the back of my head.

"The fuck was that for?"

"You wanna talk about how big your head and ears are, I'm game, hell I've even make the jokes. But I will not enable the self deprecation."

"I know I'm cool, but I feel like I'm kidding myself and I'm trying to be something I'm not."

"Dinah knows you and she likes you, so stop trying to be the person you think she wants you to be and just be you and do right by her."

I frowned. "Fine, but if I'm doing that then you need to be honest with yourself."

"I am all truth—"

"–You hate your job, and you only like News Anchor Dude for his Anchor."

She waved me off, "I ended things with him a while ago. And I have an interview at that Radio Station that we were talking about."

"Okay growth! Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I didn't want to hear you say that you told me so. And I got the phone call today for the interview."

I ordered a round of shots. "We need to celebrate this, the interview, not you breaking up with News Anchor Dude."

"I haven't even gotten it yet and I might not even get it. They said they have a bunch of people to interview."

"Yes, but you're going to go into that interview and you will crush it. Even if you don't get it, doesn't matter, because you'll be networking and meeting new people."

Choie took her shot and made a face. "Fuck that's disgusting and we're both going to pay for this in the morning."

"Is your head okay?"

She frowned, "yeah, why?"

"You used a really big word earlier so I'm just worried—"

"–fuck you Mani! Okay I will be right back. I'm going to do a little networking. Or you can come with me?"

I shook my head, "no go and do your thing, I'm good here."

I had just ordered another drink when I felt a hand on my lower back. I turned, completely ready to berate the person for invading my personal space until I saw who it was. "Vic, Tay! What are you doing here?"

"Oh we're in town working on some music and JJ hit us up and said he was having a party."

"So this is just a gathering of black excellence?"

Taylor laughed, "yeah and then there's you. I'm kidding! But yeah I love us! We make everything so fun!"

"Exactly, it's dope," I grinned. "So when are you two going to let me interview you?"

"You'll have to discuss that with my manager," Victoria flicked her hair as she answered.

"Okay damn, let's go progress, on to bigger and better things. Where's Rachelle at, I'll hammer out a deal right now."

Victoria waved me off, "girl relax, I'm in New York for two weeks, I'm sure there's time for an interview."

"Tay say yes, fuck we can even do a shoot! That would be fucking awesome."

"If I'm doing a shoot then you're taking me out for dinner after. And we're going to Lenny's."

"Karaoke!"

"For you ladies," the bartender said as he handed us three cocktails. "They're from those gentlemen over there."

Victoria took a sip of her cocktail and waved at the guys. "The one with the fade is kind of cute. He's got a cross earring and a beard, that's my Achilles..."

"I like Turtleneck. Mani please distract Glasses?"

"Okay fine," I finally answered when they started walking towards us. Glasses sat on the stool beside me. "Hi."

He held out his hand and I shook it. "Hey, can I get you another one?"

"Sure, after I finish this one though. So..."

"You're the distraction huh?"

I smiled, "so are you clearly... I have a girlfriend."

"I do not, I'm just not the pretty friend, you know how it goes."

"Ouch, you are pretty though, just not as pretty as your friends on this particular night. But you're in luck because I'm actually an awesome wing woman."

"Okay you might be the best distraction that I've ever encountered."

"I like to be good at everything I do. So we're going to dance and scope out the dance floor, then we'll move to one of the other bars and see if there's anyone you like. Deal?"

He laughed, "deal, you are very efficient. I'm Louis by the way. It's nice to meet you."

"Normani, it's nice to meet you too Louis."

I took his hand and started dancing before we even got onto the dance floor. I put my arms around his neck and looked around as we moved in time to the music, only getting distracted when Work started playing.

"This shit is my jam!" I shouted over the music. He shocked me even more by actually being able to dance beyond the two step and head bop that guys often mastered and executed with finesse to fool people into thinking they could dance.

He laughed at my confusion. "My parents are Senegalese, not dancing was not an option. You can move too, the control you have over your waist is admirable."

"Wait so Senegal, tell me you speak French, and what's the other main language they speak in Senegal. Fuck I know this. It's Wolof right? I know I'm right because Issa Rae said it."

He looked impressed. "Okay come through knowledge! I do speak French and I understand a little Wolof. Damn Normani you are impressing the fuck outta me."

"I'm edumacated okay!"

"Shit that's where I know you from. You're like an editor right? La Sienne? You speak French too?"

"I do, fluently because like I said, I'm good at everything I do. Damn it's going to be so easy to get you laid."

Louis waved me off. "You know I'd rather just stay here and chill with you. If that's cool with you? Don't take this the wrong way but when I saw you I literally just wanted to be your friend. You just seem so wholesome, kind of down but whole some."

We spent the rest of the night drinking, dancing and clowning people and when it was time to head out, we exchanged numbers before I left with my friends. Something about the way we just clicked felt reminiscent of how kids make friends in kindergarten. We met and decided we'd be friends.

"Who was that fine specimen of a man?"

"Blair you're letting your girl call another man a fine specimen?"

Blair made a face, "he high key was a fine specimen though. Not as fine as me obviously."

"Anyway," Choie turned to look at me. "Y'all were kikiing all night."

"He's just cool though. And he was so respectful y'all, that's my new friend."

"Is he single? I'm checking for a friend," Choie asked.

"He is, but what we're not about to do is corrupt my pure friend!"

Khalid made a face, "I thought I was your pure friend."

"There's space in my heart for all the pure men that want to be my friend. He comes in second to you obviously."

-

I massaged my temples as I walked out of the elevator onto the office floor. I was sure my headache would have been worse had we not gone out for food after the party. Three different people came up to me and I sighed; the aching in my head was going to get worse before it got better.

Relief flooded my limbs as soon as I was in my office, Avery came in a moment later and I jumped when he slammed the door. "You had a good night didn't you?"

"What?"

"You're hungover?"

Oh yeah... my head fucking hurts."

"I figured, but don't worry, I've got water, painkillers, breakfast and my grandpa's hangover cure. It's called the black magic cocktail."

I drank the pills first, then downed the hangover cure. "What the fuck is in this thing?"

"You don't wanna know, but you'll feel better and start to look a little more human very soon."

"Fuck I feel like throwing up."

"Why did you even come in today? Did you sleep at all?"

"I got in like 3 hours. I have a ton of work to do, including finding a new designer for the issue. Can you schedule a meeting for me with Remy as soon as possible and then call Victoria Monét and Tayla Parx's managers to set up a time and day for their interviews. Send emails to Dana and Sage and ask them to do the respective interviews. I also want to do photo shoots with them, let's get the interviews recorded and, we'll post clips to the IG and use some for video content. And set up a call for me with SZA's people because if we can't get Bevin back on board then we can't use any of the images from the shoot."

"Is that everything?" Avery looked up from his notepad.

"I'm probably going to have to work late tonight... please can you get me coffee? And more water."

I started to feel a little better as the day went on, thanks to the pills and Avery's cocktail. I soldiered on through the day and by the end of it, the nausea and headache were gone, but I still overall felt like shit. Still, I stayed late and by the time I was ready to leave, we had a new designer, the shoot with SZA had been rescheduled, and I had all the articles for the digital issue ready.

There was a knock on my door just as I was packing up. "Come in. Oh hey babe."

"Hey..." Dinah folded her arms as she walked further into the room.

"What are you still doing here?"

"I was finishing up my next article and getting ready for the podcast. I'm about to head out."

I stood, "okay cool, let me call an Uber then. Your place or mine."

"I'm going to my place," she answered slowly. "I was just checking in to make sure you were okay, you looked like you had a rough night this morning... with all that work that you needed to catch up on."

I frowned, "I really was working, my friends came over and we ended up at the party."

"See that doesn't even matter because I figured that's what happened. But imagine my surprise when my sister sends me a video of my girlfriend and some guy dancing intimately for the whole fucking world to see. I thought we were past this?"

"We are, Louis and I were just dancing babe. He's just a friend. Or he will be. I mean we met yesterday and he's really cool. You know when you meet a person and you just get along instantly? Kind of like Khalid and I."

"Who people are speculating you're dating."

I made a face, "Khalid is like Choie but male, I'm not dating him, I promise."

"But everyone—"

"–doesn't matter what everyone thinks, it matters that you know what's inside my heart. And I promise you, you're the only one my heart wants." Even if I'm not good enough for you.

"You guys are going to that party together in LA and then you'll be at his birthday party and people will speculate even more."

I shrugged, "people thought Blair and I were dating for the longest time. Even now, I'm pretty sure there's people who work here that think Blair and I are secretly dating. The plus is that no one suspects us for now."

"I guess..."

"Okay we're not going anywhere till you give me a smile." She rolled her eyes, but I saw the tiniest hint of a smile forming on her face. "I was having a bad day yesterday."

She frowned, "do you want to talk about it?"

I shook my head, "it was just work stuff, but I worked it out. Are you still going to go to your own place?"

"Yeah... I'm still mad at you. Friend or not, I'd rather not see you dancing with other people like that."

"Can I make it up to you with dinner?"

"I don't know, I'm kind of busy but I'll check my schedule," she smiled as she walked away from me.

"Oh so it's like that?"

-
A/n: Louis really is going to be just a friend

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170K 3.3K 25
There is a very thin line between hate and love Lauren gip
83.2K 647 31
“There’s a thin line between love and hate.” You can go through your whole life thinking you hate someone, only to find out it was love the whole tim...
Truth By CT

Romance

207 18 13
"There are two stupid way that people do to their loved ones, Lie, and let them go. And the reason is always the same. 'Its for the best'."
199K 6.6K 48
Love is where the heart is. Doesn't matter if its long over due. Its still love. Even if you go through...... The Thick Of It!