Karma // 10k Fic // Completed

By littletinything

Karma comes back for a mission. Battling it out with Zombies was never her plan. Operation Bite-mark proved t... More

Top Voters
Old Encounters
Karma Chameleon
Hey one question: What the hell
Alice in Zombieland
The Past is Haunting
Author's Note
Jealous Or Overzealous
Thanks For The Memories
FuBar Be Like
New Encounters
Small Spaces
Radiation Rising
Dad's Aren't Really Our Thing
Hell Disguised as Heaven
Memories Are Haunting
Separated Again
Awkward Times While Bound to a Chair
Found Murphy
Underground Labs
Getting Naked...For Science...
Dr Evil
Looking Out For Her
Stripper Z's
Keep Going
How many refugees survive?
Plant Zombies vs Humans
Update
Zeros
Anthrax
Zombie. Baby. Zombaby
She's In A Better Place
Separated For The Third Time
Confessions
Losing Murphy
Aliens?
Rozewell, Mèxico
No More Aliens
Zombie Horde
Girlfriend
Don't Like Office Jobs
Murder On The Job
South Of The Border
Welcome Home
Human Trials
Murphy Minions
I'll Take Care Of You
Taken
Controlling
Leaving
Escaping
I Hate Hospitals
Reunion
10k?
I'll Do It
Authors Note
Too Late
Authors Note
Maybe There's Hope
Zone A
Future Forward
Authors Update
We're Back
Alien Faith
Size Matters
Deja Vu
Fear Of Heights
Another Day, Another Box
Bitten
Keep Count
Zombie Fingers
Bust Balls, Shoot Walls
Carnival Of Mayhem
All Patriarch Must Fall
Canadian Zombies
Life After
Relaxing Is Hard

California

509 10 0
By littletinything

A/N: Long Chapter to apologize for not writing the flashback season 3 premiere. It is based in season two with events that happened. I have already written those episodes and didn't feel a need to write about the two-hour episode because the plot wasn't about anything besides Zona and 'The Man'. However, I will be writing about Red and Nature Boy in later episodes as they pop back up in season 3 episode 12ish.

One by one the Caminos died and we pulled over in a junkyard as the last Camino died.

"I think it's dead," 10k said solemnly. He really liked the Camino. 

"Well, we couldn't drive through that crap anyway. Adios, El Camino." Doc said closing the hood.

"You know I love that you're a glass-half-full kinda guy." Addy said. 

"Especially when there's no goddamn glass," Murphy said from the junked car he was leaning on.

"All right, looks like we're on foot. Grab what you can. Let's hit it. Come on, princess." Warren ordered. I grabbed my bag out of the car and walked along the dirt and gravel road.

"How much further to this supposed rendezvous?" Murphy asked. 

"A days walk. Maybe two." Addy said. 

"Everything looks the same," Murphy commented. 

"Yeah. Well, four years of zombie apocalypse and a nuke will do that." Doc said. 

"Nothing but rubble and dust. Must have been a hell of a fight." Vasquez said. 

"Makes you wonder what's left that's worth saving," Murphy said. 

"How did it come to this?" Warren asked. She stopped moving and looked out. The rest of us just kept walking.

"Hey, princess. Keep it moving!" Murphy yelled mocking her earlier. 

"Do you have any idea where we are?" Murphy asked. 

"Somewhere in sunny Southern California." Addy grunted while climbing the rubble. 

"Seriously, how much further? I don't feel so good." Murphy complained. 

"Well, we could take a break. I'm curious myself." Warren said leaning against a stone square.

"It can't be." Addy said. 

"So, where the hell are we?" Murphy asked. 

"Disneyland." She said. 

"What?" Warren asked surprised.

"Uh-huh. Hard to tell for sure, but I think "It's a Small World" would have been right over there." She pointed to a dusty spot in the space in front of us. 

"Sorry, kid." Vasquez turned to 10k. 

"Break time's over," Warren said and we all got up and continued walking. I kicked the rocks as we went and continued on our way with Addy leading us by her coordinates. Nightfall began to cover the sky and we headed underground in a tunnel to escape the z's while we slept. I leaned against a wall before slouching my way to the ground, my knees tucked under my chin. A jacket was wrapped around me and I looked up to see 10k. He slipped against the wall until he was sat beside me.

"You've barely spoken since we left Mexico." He said. I just stared at my shoes. I didn't want to talk. I didn't want to do anything. "Okay well, you need to sleep. You'll need the energy later." He said to me wrapping his arm around me. "It's okay not to feel okay Nik, just please don't shut me out."

I closed my eyes and let the tear fall. He pulled me in closer to him and rubbed my back with his hands. He slid farther down the wall and pulled my limp body onto his lap with my head resting against his chest. 

"I've got you. And I promise. Until the day I die, nothing will ever hurt you again." He whispered. His hand roamed up into my hair as the other one calmly soothed my nerves on my back.

10k POV

I kept my hands on her and lightly closed my eyes to try and get some sleep. Her soft whimpers and movements waking me up from time to time. I didn't mind. I just calmed her back down and continued to let her sleep.

"How's she looking?" Warren crouched next to me.

"She's gonna be ok." I whispered. 

"I've never seen her act like this before." She said. I shrugged. 

"What if she doesn't get over this" Vasquez asked. 

"She will." I said defending her.

"She's in a dark place. We've all been there. She's been through a lot. Ever notice how she never talks about a life before" Addy said. 

"Yeah but, have we? I mean think about it. Yeah, we know everyone's day one story but what else is there?" Warren pointed out. 

"I'll take care of her," I said. 

"We know you will kid." Doc said. "You love her" He added. I looked down at the girl sleeping on me. I held her closer and we all went back to sleep. 

Karma POV

"Come on guys, let's go," Warren called out waking us all up. I curled into the warmth underneath me not wanting to part with it yet. 

"Karma, wake up" 10k's voice mumbled. I groaned. "I'm going to stand up" He warned. 

"No. sleep." I pouted. He laughed and stood up anyways. My body slipped off him and remained on the ground. I leaned on my elbows and semi glared at him. His arm extended down to me and he hoisted me up. 

"Told ya," He said. I grumbled and scootched alongside him.

---

"Are we there yet?" Murphy whined.  

"You've been asking that for the last 3,000 miles." Warren sighed. 

"Yeah, I know. But this time I really mean it. Seriously. Shouldn't we be there by now?" He asked. 

"Yeah, we're close." Addy said.

"How close?" Doc asked. 

"Like should be through those trees close." Addy said. 

"What's that smell?" I asked. 

"That is fresh air, girl. It's the ocean." Warren said. 

"Damn. Pacific Ocean. I can't believe we made it." Doc said. 

"We haven't made it yet. Come on." Warren pressed on. 

"It should be through there." Addy directed leading us to the lab we were going to. 

"That's it?" Murphy asked less than impressed. 

"According to the GPS." Addy said. 

"Are you sure?" Murphy asked again. 

"That's it," Addy confirmed. 

"Doesn't look very high tech." Murphy dissed. 

"Maybe it's just another front for an underground lab," I said. 

"Maybe it's exactly what it looks like, an abandoned greasy spoon. One last cosmic joke at my expense." Murphy threw his hands in the air. 

"Either way, we're gonna check it out," Warren said taking a couple of steps. 

"How do you want to handle this?" Vasquez asked. 

"Well, I don't want us all to go walking into some kind of trap. So you and I will go in light, check it out. You guys, stay here with Murphy. And get him into this." Warren turned around to us and tossed Addy a bag. 

"Oh hell no." Murphy complained as he pulled out a dress. 

"Oh hell yes. I don't want anybody recognizing you." Warren said. 

"Probably some bounty hunters lurking around that heard one of those broadcasts," Vasquez said. 

"We did not get you this far to lose you to neo-nazi-numbskulls." Warren hissed. 

"Yes, dear. Anything you say, dear." Murphy replied sarcastically. 

"Thank you. If we're not out in ten minutes" She trailed off. 

"We'll come busting in after you." Addy said. 

"No. You protect the package. Contact Citizen Z for instructions." She instructed. 

"After we come busting in after you." Doc said. 

"Ten minutes. Then GTFO." She ordered. "Karma" She asked expectantly knowing I'd follow orders.

"Ten minutes. Yes, ma'am" I said and sat down on a rock. They left and zigzagged their way into the building. Now we wait.

"What is taking so long?" Murphy asked.

"Murphy it's been two minutes," I said. 

"I hope it's not another top-secret underground lab. That last elevator made me nauseous for a week." Doc said. 

"Whatever it is, I just want to get it over with." Murphy said. 

"Got that right." 10k said. He hates Murphy. Anyone could tell. I just didn't know how bad until that hotel with the corporate people. 

"Here she comes." 10k announced after eight minutes of waiting for them. We walked through the door and into the diner-like, 50's style restaurant. 

"So is this a real working restaurant?" Doc asked. 

"Well except for Black Summer, we've been in continuous operation since 1967. We've had a limited menu at times. But where you folks from?" The old lady asked.

"New York." Warren kept it short. 

"New York? I didn't know anybody could still be from New York." She made conversation as she passed tea around and sat down next to Warren. 

"Upstate. The city's gone 100% Z." Warren said. 

"Long drive. What was it like out there?" She asked. 

"Nothing but Z's and those soon to become Z's," Doc said. 

"Wasn't there anybody safe? Anywhere?" She asked still passing the tea around. 

"There are. Few and far between." Warren said. 

"So what does bring you to California?" She asked. I don't like her. A car's tires on a gravel road can be heard from outside followed by male voices shortly after.

"Bounty hunters," Vasquez warned. 

"Busy day." She said leaving us. "Can I get you boys some tea?" She asked them.

"I don't trust her" I whispered in Warren's ear as I walked past her to sit next to 10k and Addy.

"You got any brown liquor?" The guy asked leaning back on his chair. He had long hair and glasses. Scruffy looking. 

"Oh, I think I can squeeze some out of the still." She said cheerily. 

"Are you Auntie?" They asked. 

"I am."  

"We heard you're the one to talk to about the Murphy. Show her." The guy motioned to his companion. The skinny dude uncovered the bag that was on the zombie's head. He was blue like Murphy but didn't look like him. They had a chain around his neck and his wrists were bound. He was awfully calm for a z. 

"We're here to claim our bounty." The bald man said.  

"Let me get you those drinks." Auntie left and went through the door behind the counter.

"Another round of drinks for my men. This time make it the clear stuff." The man yelled.

"Hey. We're celebrating over here. How 'bout I buy you a drink?" He looked to Warren. 

"No thanks. I already got one." She gestured her cup that was in her hand. 

"Well if you won't come drink with me, you won't mind if I just mosey on over and have a drink with you?" He said walking over to our group, his friends following him. 10k put his arm around my waist protectively. 

"Relax, fellas. I'm gonna buy you a drink too. Hell, drinks for everyone. Don't worry about the Murphy. We got him sedated." He said.

"How 'bout a toast? To the Murphy." He held up his glass of liquor. Everyone toasted and took sips from their glasses except me and 10k. 

"Hey, Auntie. We could use some music," he said. Music cut on through the diner. "Yeah, that's better." He lowered his voice. 

"So what brings you folks here to Auntie's?" He asked leaning closer to Warren. 

"Passing through." She said. One of the men started flirting with Murphy and I had to bite my cheek to stop from laughing. My leg started bouncing to try and distract me. An unfamiliar hand grabbed my thigh and I stood up abruptly. 

"Awe now darling, no need to be jumpy. I'm just having fun." He purred. 10k snaked his arms around me and pulled me to stand between his legs with my back against his chest. The stool he was sitting on kept him a little higher than he usually was. He placed a kiss on my cheek without breaking eye contact with the guy who just touched me. 

"I got you babe" 10k whispered in my ear so only I could hear him. 

"Think fast." The bald man said. He threw a cup and Murphy caught it. Everyone's guns went to everyone. Not a single person didn't have a gun pointed to them. The guy who grabbed me earlier held the gun to my head. "Now that's interesting. When shy girl here moves, my Murphy moves the same way. Like they're connected or something. It's interesting. Why don't you take off that hat?" He said. 

 "No," Murphy said. 

"Take off the hat." The man ordered. Murphy looked back at Warren before taking it off.

"God. Wow. That's lifelike. That's good work. Hell, if I didn't know any better, I'd think you were the real deal. You wouldn't be hiding any bites under that dress, would you?" The man asked.

"Take off the dress." The man said.

"Take off the dress." He ordered. My hands shook around my guns. 

TRIGGER WARNING. PLEASE DONT READ IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE. TRIGGER WARNING.

"Take off the dress," he said. My eyes looked around the room. Looking for a way out of this situation. 

"No," I said. I turned to walk out of the room. His hand grabbed my arm and tugged me backward. 

"Come on Nikkole, it's a game. Don't get so worked up over it" he said. 

"I don't want to play," I said trying to wiggle away. 

"Nikkole, you're father will be home soon. You don't want me to tell him how bad of a girl you've been, do you?" He asked looking me up and down. He lifted my tiny body off the ground and set me on the kitchen table. "Take off the dress Nikkole." He said sternly. I did as I was told and he brought his hand up to my body. 

END OF TRIGGER WARNING.

A hand cupping my face brought me out of my thoughts. I was laying on the ground and 10k was beside me. 

"What happened," I asked. 

"You spaced out. gun war" He choked out. 

"Tommy" I whispered looking at the condition he was in. I took my hands and pressed on his stomach. He groaned out in pain.

"10K?" Addy asked. 

"I've been shot." He said. Addy and Doc were by my side in seconds. 

"Don't move, kid. I'll try to stop the bleeding." Doc said taking over putting pressure on his stomach. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it. We moved him off the ground and onto a table. Doc and Addy were on one side and I was on the other. My fist clenched before I turned around. I rushed outside after Warren and Murphy came back in. 

My breathing was heavy and uneven. I let out a yell of anger and threw my fist into the side of the nearest car. I didn't stop punching. My hands were bloody and hurt every time they came in contact with the metal. I stopped punching and leaned against the car looking at my reflection in the window. I tucked my knees and cried. I leaned off the car and put my arm behind my back reaching for a blade. I turned my left arm so my wrist was facing the sky. 

"Don't you dare Nikkole Alverez." A voice called. "You're better than this." I looked up to see Vasquez standing at the door. 

"I froze stuck in my head and he's shot because of me," I said. 

"Get up." He stood over me.

"It's my fault."

"Get up." He barked. I looked up at him. "You're on duty right now. A man goes down. Yeah, he's your friend. Yeah, he's your lover. But he's alive right now. So get your ass up and go to him. Cry later when you know he's no longer with you. Spend the time you have with him now." He said crouched down in front of me. His hand was extended to me and I took it. He gave me a hug and walked me back inside.  

"Doc, karma, you stay with 10K." Warren said as I came back in. She patted my arm and I went to him. "Vasquez and Addy, you guys cover us." She said. 

"Dearie, put your guns away. They have a nuclear submarine." Auntie said. 

"She has a point. Hey. You ready?" She called out to Murphy. 

"No. But when did that ever matter?" He replied.

"You're bleeding," 10k said as I grabbed his hand. I nodded not trusting my voice. "You were crying" He added. I just looked at him. "Come here" He whispered. I scooted closer to his face. He brought his hand up to my face and wiped the tears off my cheeks. 

"You're the one who's shot. I'm supposed to be comforting you" I said smiling a little.

"You're doing a great job," He said. A man in uniform came over to us. 

"You two are going to be looked at when we board the submarine. I am the ship's doctor. would you mind if we carried him to the vehicle to be transported." He said. I nodded and they helped him up and I followed him out. They laid him down on a stretcher and lifted him onto the back of the jeep.

"Nik," He said tiredly. 

"I'm here 10, I'm here." I said coming beside him. His hand reached out to grab mine. 

"Keep pressure on his wound" A man in all black ordered. I hopped in next to him and held one hand and pushed on the rag with the other. We were brought to the ship and 10k was carried on by two soldiers. 

"Young male. Single large caliber gunshot wound to the abdomen. Pulse weak, irregular. He's lost a lot of blood." The doctor said. 

"Is he gonna be okay?" Murphy asked. 

"They'll do everything they can. Now we need to leave." Dr. Merch said. 

"We'll make sure to get him back to his friends in one piece. Your man's in good hands." The captain said. 

"He's not my man. He's just a byproduct of the apocalypse I couldn't seem to shake." Murphy said. 

"Follow me." Dr. Merch said.

"Agent Alverez," The captain said.

"No, I'm staying." I stood firm on that decision. He nodded and left following Murphy. The began to clean and take care of 10k. 

"Are you ok Agent Alverez?" One of the doctors asked me.

"Yea why?" I asked.

"Well you just look a little gray I-" He stopped talking once I stumbled forward. My head pounding. "Woah, hey. Okay, I got you" He said before everything went dark.

3rd Person POV

Karma was laid down next to 10k on another hospital bed. 

"Check for injuries and bullet wounds as well. She could've been in shock and just now caught up to it." One doctor said. He tied the stitch he finished and moved to Karma. He took off her jacket and lifted her shirt looking for blood as to where the wound would've come from. 

"Jesus," The second doctor said as he noticed all the scars littered over her body. 

"Young female. Hemorrhaging on the abdomen and rib area. Pulse weak, irregular. Possible gunshot or stab wound." The first doctor examined. "James roll her over," he said. The second doctor rolled her over and blood began to cover the sheets. 

"Shit. Bullet wound to the side through the abdomen. We need to get the bullet out." James said. They slid elongated tweezers into the wound to grab the bullet. Her heart rate began to rise and an alarm went off. Her body shook as she was going into epileptic shock. Her pulse dropped to flatline.

"Start CPR" The doctor ordered. With five cycles Karma's pulse came back and her breathing stilled. They sewed her up and put a dressing over the wound just like 10k's. An alarm went off and the ship's warning light flashed red. The two doctors left the kids and went to follow protocol.

10k POV

An alarm was blaring. Red light seeped through my eyelids and woke me up. I sat up and instinctively my hand went to my stomach. There was a bandage on my new wound. I looked around and saw Karma laying on a bed as well. She wasn't awake and she also had a bandage. I thought I got to her in time so she didn't get hurt. My jaw clenched at the thought of me failing to protect her. I limped over to the door and looked out. I walked down the hall leaving her in the room. I didn't wanna bring her to put her even more in danger. 

"Where's Karma," Murphy asked.

"In the med bay," I said looking at him. "Why?" I asked.

"Grab her we need to go." He said. I turned and went to walk back. "Nevermind. You'll drop her. Hey, You." He motioned to a soldier he had bitten. "Go grab the little one." The guy nodded and went to get her. I followed him to grab my shirt and things. The guy was about to lift Karma up with I stopped him. I put her shirt back on her and grabbed her jacket along with her weapons. I put them in a duffle and followed Murphy out. Once we got into a little boat I passed out. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.5K 251 23
Two Years.It's been two years since Sarah and her boyfriend,10k have seen the group.The group that she's known for three years and has traveled acros...
208K 5.9K 37
"What kind of name is One Shot?" "What kind of name is 10k?" [Disclaimer: I do not own Z Nation. Just One Shot and her plot.] [Season 2 - ?]
131K 3.1K 88
When you're a bitten survivor, being alone is difficult, except for the fact zombies have become a part of you. Jordan is the only survivor, at least...
19.9K 371 16
Everything seemed to be going wrong for Sarah.They were supposed to get Murphy to a Lab in California,he would go on and make a vaccine to save the w...