Back in the Game (COMPLETE)

By Sparkplug02

The Clone War has resumed after its brief pause due to the fall of Chancellor Palpatine, who has been reveale... More

9.1.0
9.1.1
9.1.2
9.1.3
9.1.4
9.2.1
9.2.2
9.2.3
9.2.4
9.3.1
9.3.2
9.3.3
9.3.4
9.4.1
9.4.2
9.4.3
9.5.1
9.5.2
9.5.3
9.5.4
9.6.1
9.6.2
9.6.3
9.7.1
9.7.2
9.7.3
9.7.4
9.8.1
9.8.2
9.8.3
9.9.1
9.9.2
9.9.3
9.9.4
9.9.5
Check In Time!!!
9.9.6
9.9.7
Not An Update
9.10.1
9.10.2
9.10.3
9.10.4
9.10.5
9.10.6
9.10.7
9.11.1
9.11.2
9.11.3
9.11.4
9.12.1
9.12.2
9.12.3
9.12.4
9.12.5
9.13.1
9.13.2
9.13.3
9.13.4
9.14.1
9.14.2
9.14.3
9.14.4
9.14.5
9.15.1
9.15.2
9.15.3
9.15.4
9.15.5
9.15.6
9.16.1
9.16.2
9.16.3
9.16.4
9.16.5
9.16.6
9.16.7
9.16.8
9.17.1
9.17.2
9.17.3
9.17.4
Epilogue
Sequel Information
Naberrie Family Part 1
Naberrie Family Part 2
Analysis
Author's Goodbye

1.1.1

4.3K 57 30
By Sparkplug02

Author's Note: This is a request from @Aquabird1 . This is probably a few days or so before the Battle of Christophsis in Season 1 of the Clone Wars before Ahsoka is introduced. What do you guys think? Does this seem like something that would happen?

Obi-Wan drummed his fingers on his knees, looking out at the stairwell leading to the training hall he was sitting in. Anakin didn't know he was here, and in truth, he was probably still internally celebrating his new promotion to the rank of Jedi Knight. Despite the fact that it had been weeks since his ceremony, Anakin was still on an emotional high from his accomplishment. Obi-Wan had decided to let him enjoy it while it would last. There was little else to celebrate right now, after all.

The Clone War had taken off more rapidly than he had expected, and the Republic had taken drastic measures to ensure that the Separatists wouldn't catch them off guard. Obi-Wan had been assigned a battalion of clone troopers, as well as nearly every active Jedi Knight and Master in the Order. Clearly, no one had thought that a 19-year-old would be one of the new Generals of the Republic, or they wouldn't have done so. Obi-Wan was almost scared to see what Anakin would do with a few hundred troopers at his disposal, but he had done well so far, really well actually. 

Despite wanting to continue to keep an eye on Anakin, Obi-Wan knew that he would do amazing things if left to his own devices. The Jedi Master needed to distance himself from Anakin to let him have some responsibility and accountability of his own. The easiest way to do that was if he forced himself to focus on another student who needed guidance and monitoring, hence his application for a new Padawan had been sent in.

Perhaps it was a little soon to leave Anakin, but Obi-Wan trusted him completely and he knew Anakin neither wanted nor needed him breathing down his neck anymore. It was going to be a jarring transition, to be sure, but a necessary one. At least, that's what Obi-Wan kept telling himself. 

The doors to the training hall opened, and a line of maturing Younglings filed into the room behind Master Shaak Ti. Sixteen children sat in a circle in the middle of the room, trying to ignore Obi-Wan sitting on the side. Shaak saw them eyeballing the Jedi Master and smiled. "Master Kenobi will be observing your training today, Younglings. I suppose I forgot to tell you that."

Obi-Wan smiled at the children but did not move from his cross-legged seated position. While it was the Council's duty to assign Padawans to Masters, it was common practice for an aspiring teacher to observe the oldest group of Younglings. They had all completed building their lightsabers and were considered proficient at using them by their teachers. The Younglings here had either already passed their Initiate Trials or were getting ready to.

Additionally, they had chosen their desired emphasis for their training, and some had earned beads for their Padawan braids. White beads expressed a strength in healing, blue was mechanics, red was piloting, green was specialized Force abilities, yellow was lightsaber and other weapons, and black was covert operations. The youngest Younglings hadn't earned beads yet, but the older Padawans had one, and in some cases, two beads. 

Shaak began the lesson, deciding that today would be spent reviewing and building on their dueling techniques. The Younglings stood in lines, following the Jedi Master as she ran them through sequences, correcting any positions she saw them performing incorrectly. Sometimes it was something small, like the slight angle at which the lightsaber was supposed to be held, other times, footwork needed correcting. It was mostly the younger students who needed correction, but every once in a while an older Youngling would receive instruction as well. 

Watching them practice brought Obi-Wan back to his own days of training. He remembered being in the lines, watching the older Padawans demonstrate the sequences much like the ones here did. He never made it to the front line, because Qui-Gon Jinn had selected him as a Padawan at age 12. It was a slightly early age to be assigned to a Master, but Younglings could reach as old as 15 or 16 before being chosen, although it was rare. From what Obi-Wan could see, there were only two Younglings approaching that age in this group.

One was a human male, clad in light tan robes, and holding a teal-colored lightsaber. He had two beads on his braid, white and green. A very common combination, from what Obi-Wan knew. Healing went hand in hand with the more specialized Force abilities, things like precognition and deep meditation. In that case, it made sense why he was still in the Youngling training group. Jedi with talent in Healing were kept with the Younglings for longer because once they were accepted into the Halls of Healing, they saw battle much less frequently. Better to train them as much as possible before they were accepted by the healing Masters and all their time was spent studying. Obi-Wan knew that Youngling would not be his Padawan.

The other older Youngling was a female Togruta, who wasn't exactly wearing robes. Attire had been modified for alien species, and this child seemed to favor burgundy over the usual browns the Jedi wore. It suited her well, and it probably went better with her orange skin tones. This Youngling, Obi-Wan had noticed, hadn't yet received any correction from Shaak Ti on her lightsaber technique. He squinted, and he saw a yellow bead on her Padawan braid (or chain, since she obviously had no hair to braid). 

She certainly seems ready to study as a Padawan, Obi-Wan thought. Perhaps I should ask why she's still training with Younglings. Still, Obi-Wan also felt that this child would not be his student either, so he continued to look at all of the Younglings training, not feeling the Force connecting him to anyone of them in particular. 

Obi-Wan closed his eyes and sighed. Perhaps I'm holding too high of expectations. I can't reasonably hope to have the same connection to any of them as I felt with Anakin. He watched as Shaak Ti changed the activity, and the Younglings returned to a circle on the ground.

"I'm afraid this lesson can't go on for much longer, little ones," Shaak told them reluctantly. "I'm expected for a mission later, and I won't be able to stay. However, while we have time I'd like for you to spar against each other. I'll match you up in pairs, and you'll each have a quick bout before we end for today."

The youngest students went first. Shaak knew the Younglings well enough to match them evenly, and she also made sure to highlight their strengths for Obi-Wan's sake. She would occasionally call out suggestions, but other than that, she only interrupted them when the duel went on for longer than five minutes. 

Despite the quality display, Obi-Wan couldn't stay quite focused on the fights. He kept being reminded of his recent duel with Count Dooku, the one Anakin had lost his arm in. The Younglings dueled, one occasionally bringing down their opponent until it was time for the two oldest Younglings to duel. The human male activated his lightsaber, sighing as the Togruta girl stood opposite him. "Let's get this over with, shall we?"

"Now, Zane," Shaak reprimanded him, "You can't be attached to the past. Do not give up the mental fight so easily."

"Ahsoka always beats him, though," one of the younger students reminded her. "It's not his fault she's always training with her lightsaber."

Ahsoka, the female, looked a little smug at Zane's comment, but when the other Youngling spoke up, her face hardened. She activated her saber and held it in the reverse grip, behind her back. 

That's interesting, Obi-Wan noted. It must be why she already has a yellow bead. Most Younglings don't adopt such a lightsaber grip this young. Shaak began the fight, and Ahsoka ran towards Zane, dropping low and sweeping wide with her blade. Zane deflected the strokes, but already he was on the defensive. Oh, she's a spitfire, this one, Obi-Wan thought.

Although Ahsoka looked almost a full year younger than Zane, it was clear that she was a superior dueler. It made sense, healers were never quite the duelers that other Jedi were, but Ahsoka's skill was apparent. In a matter of seconds, she had Zane pinned against the wall with no escape. Zane surrendered, and the two deactivated their lightsabers. Shaak stood up. 

"Well done, for today, Younglings," she told them. "I'm afraid that's all we have time for today. Continue your studies, and I'll see you when I return." She walked out first, and the other Younglings followed her out. 

As they exited the training hall, Obi-Wan overheard them talking. "I told you she would win. Again."

"Be nice," someone else scolded him. "Is it too much to let her be good at one thing?"

"It's just because she wants to be a Padawan, everyone knows she wants to fight in the Clone War."

"Everyone wants to be a Padawan, what's wrong with her wanting the same thing?"

"There has to be a reason no Jedi has chosen her yet, she just turned 14."

The discussion continued in hushed voices, and down the hall where Obi-Wan couldn't hear them. Where the duel had ended, neither Zane nor Ahsoka had moved. They both seemed to have forgotten that Obi-Wan was there, and had their own conversation.

Zane looked empathetically at the younger girl. "You can't let them make you frustrated, Ahsoka. Besides, you did really well today. You beat me in less than a minute this time."

The Togruta huffed and stared at her lightsaber in her hand. "Easy for you to say, you've always known what you were going to do. The entire Hall of Healing is already looking forward to when you come of age to study with them."

"You're just...not with the right Jedi yet, that's all," he encouraged her. "You'll find your master, just like every other Youngling has."

"And if I don't?" she asked, her face softening for the first time. "What if I'm the first Youngling that no one in the Order wants?" 

Shaking his head, he smiled, refusing to believe that was true. "You're one of the best duelers our age, any Jedi would be lucky to have you as a Padawan."

Ahsoka snorted, walking to the middle of the room and activating her lightsaber again. "Tell that to Master Yoda." She shriveled up her face and deepened her voice. "Little patience, you have, Youngling Tano. Learn the value of humility, you must."

Obi-Wan nearly burst out laughing at that. Unless he was mistaken, Yoda had said nearly the same thing to Anakin years ago, multiple times. Perhaps they should meet, he thought but didn't say.

The other Youngling watched as she ran through her sequences again, but faster and more intensely than before. Eventually, he sighed and walked towards the door. "I believe you will be a great Padawan someday, Ahsoka. There will be a Jedi who is patient, and kind, and will be as impressed with your lightsaber skills as I am, and they will be a good master to you, one that will trust you with their life."

She paused in her strokes, a very small smile creeping onto her face. "Thanks, Zane," she told him, as he walked out. He grinned and left the room, but as soon as he closed the door, Ahsoka's face fell again. "At least someone does."

Silently, she continued to practice, using both her normal grip and her reverse grip. Obi-Wan saw her utilize the strengths of Form IV, with large, extravagant movements and lots of motion. It was clear that this wasn't the first time she had stayed after lessons to work alone. Ahsoka had perfected high-level strokes that took a lot of time to learn and had no trouble weaving them in with long strings of basic movements. 

Obi-Wan saw, both from the conversation with Zane and right now, what she was doing. This was her strength, the one thing that she knew she was better at than anyone else her age, and she had poured everything into it. Maybe she was impatient, and maybe there were other kinks to work out, but she was an excellent dueler. No one could take that away from her, and it was the one thing that might earn her a teacher. 

Sounds like someone else I know, the Jedi Master mused. Perhaps there's a thing or two I could teach her, but...then why don't I feel like that is her path? Still, Obi-Wan knew there was something about this Youngling, something important. Instead of thinking to himself, however, he stood up, finally alerting the young girl to his presence.

Ahsoka immediately shut off her saber and bowed her head, and stopped practicing in front of him. "I'm sorry, Master Kenobi. I didn't realize you were there." 

"It's all right, little one," he assured her as he walked towards her. "I was just wondering, how long have you been training in this class?"

"Five years," Ahsoka answered, almost ashamedly. "After I finished my lightsaber, I was put into this class not long after."

That was a long time to be in one training group, Obi-Wan knew. Not only that, but Ahsoka had been placed in this group early, and she had yet to leave it. "Have you passed your Initiate Trials?"

She nodded yes, but didn't speak. Wanting to fill the silence, Obi-Wan told her, "You understand, being a Padawan is no light responsibility. Especially now that the Clone War has begun. Much must be sacrificed to fight in the Jedi Order."

Ahsoka opened her mouth, wanting to respond, but closed it, as if a voice in her head was telling her off for talking back. Instead, she quietly mumbled, "Yes, Master. I understand."

Laughing softly, Obi-Wan assured her, "It's all right, little one. What is it?"

Again, she hesitated, but she answered truthfully this time. "There are Padawans, some of them are younger than me, and they're already making those sacrifices. They're defending peace, they're doing good in the galaxy, but I don't have any right to...sit back and watch them fight while I'm supposed to stay behind! How can I watch them risk their lives while not being able to do the same?"

"You want to fight? You want to take that risk?" He asked her, and she shook her head.

"No..." she answered, but Obi-Wan's chiding stare made her amend her claim. "Well, I want to prove that I can fight, but I know war is bad. I just...want to help end it. Is that so wrong?"

The Jedi Master stared at her, looking at her eyes. Despite her youth, Ahsoka didn't back down. She stared straight back at him, standing by what she said. Obi-Wan looked, looked at her blue eyes, much like he had looked at Anakin when they had engaged in similar conversations. For a moment, a very brief moment, he saw Anakin staring back at him in her place. 

It startled him, but he did not show it. "No, I suppose not," he decided, walking out of the training hall. "You should rest, though, while you can. The day is nearly over, little one."

He left without saying anything else or waiting for a response. It was an abrupt exit, but he couldn't get over the image he just saw, of a younger Anakin standing in Ahsoka's place. It just didn't make sense.

Obi-Wan knew Ahsoka was not meant to be his Padawan, that much was clear. And yet, there were small, little signs that something was very important about Ahsoka Tano, and it had something to do with Anakin...

He stopped in his tracks and hid behind a corner. A minute later, Ahsoka walked out of the training hall as well, head held high and face set. He watched her retreat to the Younglings' quarters, but he felt into the Force one more time, seeing if what had come to his mind really was worth considering. He imagined Ahsoka, not as his apprentice, but as someone else's. Anakin's apprentice.

And he saw it. Something like a vision, but not quite, came over him. He saw the girl standing by Anakin's side, he saw her leading his troops and listening to his teachings. He saw her meditating with him, despite the fact that Obi-Wan knew Anakin didn't particularly love meditation. 

The vision continued, but it sped up, blurring so fast that he only caught glimpses of them as time went on. She had grown up, and there was a second, yellowish blur of light next to her green one. Anakin was holding her, and there was dark blood on the ground. There was a red shield, glowing and deadly in Anakin's face. They were smiling, laughing as they held bundles of blankets in their arms. White blurs, deflecting blaster shots. Troopers, clone troopers kneeling on the ground. Warm wind in his face. A pyramid, Dark and menacing, exploding in the distance. A sunrise. The sound of lightsabers clashing together. A towering figure, black and white, more powerful than anything Obi-Wan had ever known.

All of this, Obi-Wan could barely comprehend, and he had no reference for what any of those things could mean. The one thing he did understand, and the very last thing he saw, was a blue lightsaber cutting off a Padawan chain from blue and white montrals. 

The vision left him as quickly as it had come, but Obi-Wan was confused no longer. He knew what the vision had meant, why Ahsoka had seemed so important. He didn't understand what every image in that vision had been, but he knew one thing, and he needed to have a conversation with Master Yoda. 

Perhaps it would not be Obi-Wan who would receive a Padawan, but Anakin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.1K 1.7K 67
An episodic, Clone Wars-style story; Obi-Wan Kenobi has an interesting mission ahead of him. A Gray Jedi has deserted his order and is looking to rep...
61.2K 2.3K 51
With no allegiance to the Jedi or the Republic, Ahsoka Tano is learning how to live on her own. She has to start from the bottom and work up, but she...
4.8K 93 8
I do not own Star Wars, all rights belong to George Lucas and Disney. I only own the OC and this story. A Star Wars Fanfiction The Galactic Republic...
28.8K 537 33
The war is over, the jedi were executed for treason, and then imperial times had begun. The only jedi left were Obi-Wan, Yoda, and of course Anakin's...