Dangerous Attachment

Oleh inspiredrlh

(Book 1 of 3 in the Weakness Series) All Kira Collins wanted was for her senior year to run as smoothly as po... Lebih Banyak

preliminaries
Playlist + comments
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
12| table dancing
13| apologies
14| mutual dislike
15| know your type
16| wisdom
17|assumptions
18| work colleagues
19|unwanted protection
20| costumes
21|queen of death
22| fools
23|the truth is out
24| baiting the anger
25| nerves
26|scars
27|provoking
28| walk away
29|hypocrite
30|what I want
31| insecurities
32| relationships
33|feuding friends
34| hit or miss
35| deflects and disasters
36| defenses
37| soothing
38| tough love
39| cliche
40|playing nurse
41| like glass
42| sorry
43| wounds

Epilogue

16.9K 418 229
Oleh inspiredrlh

To Taylor 💄To Blair 👠 To Rhys 😙 To Nate 💞 To Jamie ☕ To Lachlan 😈
Washington sucks. I have to wear a uniform at my new school and I'm missing you.

I press send while watching each message be delivered to the individuals. There's a loud thud from the hallway that has me placing my phone in the kitchen counter, heading out through the swinging doors. I see Dad holding his back with a box of my clothes sprawled out on the floor by the staircase.

"Hey! Careful with your back," I rush forward, regretting the quick movement but drop to my knees regardless. "I'll take this upstairs and you put some peas on your back."

"No-"

"Yes, go."

My flat tone and dead pan look is enough for him to hobble down the hallway. Once the doors swing close I hunch over, holding my stomach with a groan. It's still tender even though I had the stitches removed three days ago. The doctor advised me not to do too much physical activity even though we were moving.

It's why dad can barely walk now from taking on responsibility of moving heavy weight items. I can carry boxes, my shoulder is still a bit of a pain but nowhere near as bad as my stomach.

I finish stuffing the box, feeling a burn in my legs and hands as I haul the box upstairs to my room. The spacious bedroom is about twice the size of my old one, the boxes take up one half while my bed is pressed against the completely glass framed wall. It's probably my favorite thing about this house - about the move.

Returning back downstairs where Dad is holding an ice pack to his lower back and typing on his tablet I pick up my phone. The screen faded to black and I sit down again, noticing several text messages. One thing that I've been determined to do was keep in contact with everyone.

Even though we only left yesterday - I don't want to lose the people I care about.

To Taylor 💄To Blair 👠 To Rhys 😙 To Nate 💞 To Jamie ☕ To Lachlan 😈
These people are horrible. I thought Brian was a dick but I hadn't met Miles - he's making me uncomfortable in classes with his stupid sexual innuendoes but he's the royalty of this school. Teachers don't comment on his behavior nor do they stop him and his tool of friends from touching me when I don't want him to. He says he likes watching the prude squirm, like I'm some game.

Sending the text message I vent my frustration, wiping my eyes while keeping myself hostage inside the bathroom. I knew adjusting to a new school was going to be difficult but I feel physically sick being here. I don't have anyone to protect me from the harassment.

I hate that I've grown dependent on that security.

Miles and his group of friends are making sure nobody touches me with a ten foot pole. Apart from themselves that is. One girl was kind enough to inform me in this same bathroom-  when I was scrubbing the aftermath off a paint grenade they pelted at me - that they own the school. Or more their wealthy, political fathers do.

It makes them untouchable unless the school wants to lose its funding and position as one of the most prestigious schools in the state.

I can feel my skin crawling with disgust over what happened during English today. Miles himself decided to poke me repeatedly with his pen everytime I would brush off his hand lingering on my knee. I told him that I had a boyfriend and it resulted in him stabbing me hard enough to draw a speck of blood.

When I rushed out of the classroom all I could hear was the taunting laughter and feel the stares. It reminds me of being powerless, weak and I hate that feeling so much. I don't want to feel this way anymore.

From Nate 💞
I'll come up there and kick his ass myself if he doesn't back off.

From Lachlan 😈
Dude has got a death wish - use your left hook the next time he gets handsy. I taught you to throw it probably so use it.

From Blair 👠 
I'm coming to see you for Christmas and on behalf of everyone fuming over this dick head - I'll kill him. Nobody touches you inappropriately, nobody touches you period

From Jamie ☕
Here's the plan; find out where he lives, cause a gas leak and light a match.... on a serious note, what he's doing is sexual harassment and last time I checked that was illegal. Next time he does anything like that go to the police or even your dad because he'll get it sorted.

From Taylor 💄
Go to the police if it gets serious. You've already got enough issues - sexual assault and rape isn't going to help that. This is a warning sign so be alert and stay the hell away from them. I'm here for you if you ever need to talk x

From Rhys 😙
Tell your dad.

The whole incident with Miles and his friends has just hit a climax. I can barely hear the distinctive yells coming from down the hall in the principal's office from Miles' father and mine over whose at fault. I know I'm not responsible for my actions.

"Can you read this and tell me if it's correct?" The police officer's voice makes me flinch from staring at my beat up hand.

He frowns as I timidly take the pad from him, reading it to myself and having to use both hands to keep it still.

1. My name is Kira Collins and I'm 17 years old.

2. Over a month ago I started here - at Bridgeport Prepotory School - and was targeted by Miles and his friends. It didn't make sense to me why I was targeted but someone told me after a prank that they were rich kids with nothing to do.

3. The pranks, bullying would be a better word were harsh; paint grenades, being stabbed with pens, finding degrading notes in my locker, work going missing and one of them even took a chunk from my hair. All because they were bored apparently, it wasn't fair.

4. I'd made a habit of going to the locker rooms early on Tuesdays because I had sport after lunch. I was getting changed when the lights went out. Once I was dressed, I went to grab my things when I was shoved inside my locker and they attempted to lock me inside it. My hand got in the way of it shutting, I screamed and kicked the door of it until it gave way and the person fell back. Whoever it was banged their head pretty loudly and next thing I knew I was being called a bitch, they said I deserved to be shot and I should have died. My existence wasn't needed.

5. I don't know how he knew about the shooting, it wasn't published in the paper or with my name at least.

6. My dad made sure of it because I was a minor. But it triggered a panic attack and paralysed me, I couldn't breathe, couldn't move and that's when the lights came on. When I was starting to calm down I saw Miles holding his phone pointed at me with a cut on this left temple, he was filming my panic attack and thought I wasn't paying attention enough so he yanked hard on my top, which is why I'm wearing a jumper over the top of my shirt because he tore it. I reacted on instinct and bit his hand, he screamed, dropped his phone and I ran for it.

7. I hit him when he tried to grab me. I was still coming down from my panic attack at this stage and I couldn't stand the touch. It burnt like acid, made me feel sick so I swung. I needed to get out and he kept trying to come after me so I grabbed the nearest object because I was afraid he would try to hurt me, I swung and broke his nose with the baseball bat. I lost control - I didn't know what was happening until Coach Morrill was carrying me out and confiscated the bat.

"It's correct."

My voice is hoarse and a little shaky still considering I took a baseball bat to Miles. "You just need to print your name, sign and date the bottom. Then sign and date the disclosure of you telling the truth at the start of the report."

"That bastard! I'm so sorry Kira," Blair grunts on the other line, clearly upset as much as I am. "He shouldn't have gotten away with it, he was asking for it."

"I broke his nose, cracked two ribs and fractured his wrist. I'm lucky that he didn't try to sue for assault and battery."

I continue to stir my tea with the metal spoon, somewhat feeling calmer by the motion of it swirling. Today was a tough day. My father took Miles to court over what happened. Of course it didn't work, my father's good but he isn't a miracle worker.

The one positive is Miles isn't allowed within one hundred feet of me, on top of an explosion when others came forward with claims of past forced encounters. It's what made dad build a case but somehow most of the evidence fell flat when victims cowered from the stand.

It's sickening the control money and power have over people.

"I swear if I ever come across this guy I'm putting him in a shallow grave for what he's done to you."

"At least I'll never have to see him again or that's the hope," I stop stirring, feeling the pathetic tears welling up in my eyes. "I have two restraining orders in place, within months of each other. Do you know how horrible that is?"

I bite the inside of my cheek and rub my face with one hand. "On the upside of that - Jordan's not going to be out until he's thirty. If he doesn't get himself killed that is."

"That doesn't make it any better," My tone is curt and a few seconds later a sob rakes out of me. "I hate my life, I really do because it's just one fucking tragedy after another. I just want to be happy."

"Kira your life-"

"Rhys isn't talking to me. He hasn't responded in two months and even through the trial he couldn't manage to say anything to me," I bite the inside of my cheek, wondering what I've done to him. "I needed him. I still do and he's nowhere to be heard of. I need him to tell me it's going to be okay. I need Rhys more than ever."

Even he can't stand to be around you.

My eyes squeeze shut at the constant nagging thought in my brain that's tearing me down. Lately, the thoughts have been more negative. I don't like it but I've never felt more alone and they aren't helping. Dad's working constantly, I have no friends and the friends I do have are a whole state away.

They wouldn't care if you were gone.

"You don't need Rhys. You're independent and strong Kira Collins," Blair's tone surprises me considering it's filled with support despite being blunt. "Despite what's happened to you you're still alive and breathing. You are the strongest person I know and if you give up I don't know what I would do without you. Don't lose your fight because eventually - it's all going to fall into place, you've just got to hold on."

I suck my lips in, mentally kicking myself for letting everything get the better of me. "You're wrong when you say I'm independent because I'm not. I need someone to rely on."

"Then rely on yourself."

To Rhys 😙
I just thought I would let you know that I'm starting therapy today.
March 3rd

To Rhys 😙
My therapist isn't bad. She sent me to the doctors and advised being assessed by a psychiatrist so I did. I'm being subscribed anti-depressants to help with the PTSD that I was diagnosed with along with mild -depression. I didn't even know I was depressed or that there was different degrees of it....
March 6th

To Rhys 😙
Could you respond? I don't want you to think that I'm a nutcase, even though I feel like one. I'd like to know I'm not scaring you away.
March 7th

To Rhys 😙
Instead of it being weekly visits I'll be seeing her every fourth day. She's helping me with what happened at your place and we started to talk about you as well, my boyfriend...that's still true, right?
March 10th

To Rhys 😙
What's going on? You aren't responding to be- neither are Lachlan or Nate. Did I do something wrong? Is that it? Talk to me, we need to communicate.
8:08am

To Taylor 💄To Blair 👠 To Jamie ☕
Could one of you ask Rhys and co what's wrong? I'm officially worried.
4:47pm

From Taylor 💄
He's kinda shut down. He doesn't even acknowledge me in English. Sorry sweetie, if he isn't talking to you maybe talk to your therapist about what to do??
4:51pm

From Jamie ☕
I messaged Lachlan and he said it isn't my place to get involved. Apparently it's for the best - that's all I got from him.
4:59pm

From Blair 👠
They've moved houses. I'll track Nate down tomorrow at school because I can't promise Rhys' safety.
6:20pm
March 11th

From Blair 👠
On behalf of Nate he's requested you stop making contact with him. While he said he doesn't want to stop talking to you, he can't lose his brother and he's having a hard time as it is. Focus on getting better sweetie, you need to out yourself first x
March 12th

To Rhys 🍣
So you're having a hard time? YOU and I don't know whether I should be pissed or concerned. Why couldn't you talk to me? Or even say that you were struggling. We need to communicate - that's the advice I got today. So when you're ready, I'll be here
March 14th

To Rhys🍣
Still nothing. It's been four days, I'm really worried. Is there something I don't know? Talk to me pleaseeee.
March 18th

To Taylor 💄To Blair 👠 To Rhys 🍣 To Nate 💞 To Jamie ☕ To Lachlan 😈
For those unaware this past month I've been in therapy in order to get my mind under control. Something discussed today was my need to please others and put them before myself which is why this is being sent as a group message. I need to know now who I can rely on and I'm sorry it's come to this but I need to put myself first. Let me know now and we're done.
April 20th

I continue to re-read the text message which conveys everything crystal clear. The therapy has helped shockingly. I'm not as emotional but that might be put down to the medication that's stopping me from bawling like a baby.

I'm getting myself back gradually and from what I've been told - I'm getting better.

School hasn't been as bad because everyone is focusing on final exams and Prom. I've been trying to drag my grades from a B- average to at least an A- which was a goal I was set in my first session. If I start setting goals, then I can use them as motivation to continue to live.

Even when moments convince me otherwise.

I'm going to be strong again, with or without certain people.

Graduation; otherwise known as the ridiculous gown and hat fiasco. I continue to readjust the dark green gown and shift stances in line for the stage. The crowd is immense and I'm trying not to cringe at the hand recorder in dad's hand. Or the fact my best friends are wearing varying shades of green with ballons.

Taylor, Blair and Jamie made the trip up here to see me graduate. Because their graduation happened on the day of my final exam - meaning I couldn't go to theirs.

I pull my fingers apart from their locked hold as the guy in front of me is called up on stage. My head is pounding erratically while looking at the crowd. Most of these people are aware of what happened with Miles and I know my fellow peers still fear me.

The irony of it all. They fear me. One incident can turn your life upside down and shape it into something unrecognizable

"Kira Collins."

Stepping up onto stage was exhilarating. The claps, even hearing hollers from the girls causes a massive smile on my face. They've got my back no matter what happens and that's the important thing. I sent that message a month ago and they replied within minutes then I got a sorry from Nate.

I shake hands with the principal who still seems a bit unsure of me. As I pivot to face the crowd, turning the nosel of the hat I tense up. While the ceremony was held outdoors, the trees provide some form of shelter from the blasting heat of the sun.

At the back of the seating area I notice a figure leaning on the tree while clapping. I snap out of my stare when I'm ushered off stage with a cleared throat. Shaking my head I return to my seat knowing my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I reach my row, daring another look and sure enough there's nobody there. Of course he wouldn't come. The acidic burn in my throat hurts until I notice a balloon float up into the sky. My eyes divert to Taylor who is scolding Blair for letting go of it which makes me smile again - even though it's not real.

I feel as if I should go into hiding after posting this chapter. But before the death threats start - as promised there is a sequel which should be uploaded with the preliminaries by the time you've read this. You can find it on my profile and if the cover - which is similar to this one - doesn't give it away it's called Kryptonite.

Also, if you would like to be included in this story be sure to leave a comment with feedback and you'll be featured in the comments chapter.

If you aren't going to read the sequel then thank you for taking the chance on reading this book because it means the world to me with how successful this story has become in this time span. Almost 6K reads is more than I could ever ask for so thank you so much!

Thoughts? Feelings? Predictions?

-inspiredrlh

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

147K 3.7K 26
Make sure to read book one first! Freshmen year is not what Aurora had expected. She wanted the typical high school memories but with 5 over protect...
71.7K 3.2K 46
How bad can a good girl get? With her entire future planned out in excruciating detail, all Adelina Baker wants is to protect her little brother and...
517K 16.7K 54
Fire and Water. That's what they were. Together they were just whispers of what could have happened and what could have been. Running from a tragic p...
33.5K 3.1K 23
"Why are you ignoring me?" "Ahh---Lucas I don't know. Whenever I have tried to trust someone I have been betrayed. Even my so-called friends have hur...