Dilli Wali Girlfriend [Comple...

By Krazy_Kiran

~Story is completed~ Preety Saini is one of the representatives of the Mehra company. Her superiors want her... More

Chapter 1 - Business Trip
Chapter 2 - Attitude Problems
Chapter 3 - Forced Apology
Chapter 4 - Gurudwara
Chapter 5 - Locks
Chapter 6 - Ratty Office
Chapter 7 - Planning Love
Chapter 8 Cheapo Arihant
Chapter 9 Blooming Friendship
Chapter 10 Joking & Flirting?
Chapter 11 Private Jet
Chapter 12 Disney World
Chapter 13 Confused Feelings
Chapter 14 Avoid Her
Chapter 15 Kayaking Gone Wrong
Chapter 16 Fake Wala Proposal
Chapter 17 Loca (Crazy)
Chapter 18 Rejection
Chapter 19 Competition
Chapter 20 Kidnapping
Chapter 21 Dinner
Chapter 22 Girlfriend?
Chapter 23 Surrender?
Chapter 24 Heartbreak
Chapter 25 Punjabi Wedding
Chapter 26 Preet Gone Bald
Chapter 28 Amar Returns
Chapter 29 Love You
Chapter 30 Redemption
Chapter 31 Dilli Wali Complication
Chapter 32 Dilli Wali Marriage
Chapter 33 Dilli Wali Ending

Chapter 27 Rahul Khurana (R. K.)

5.5K 406 123
By Krazy_Kiran

Chapter 27 Rahul Khurana (R. K.)

[Preet's P. O. V.]

I hid or stayed away from Rahul as much as I could. He did the same.

Around dinner time, my great-grandmother--Bebe--showed up with Papa. She was bibi's mother-in-law. I couldn't help but give her a huge hug. Bebe (great-grandma) had a forgetful memory and was always acting crazy.

"My Preeto is here!" Bebe said happily. I broke the hug and sat down by her side. She always called me "Preeto."

"Who's that?" Samrat asked Sanam. Everyone was sitting on manjas (cots) in our open roof living room.

"Great grandma aka Bebe," replied Sanam.

"Who are they?" Bebe asked me, pointing to Rahul, Radhika di, and Samrat. Lovely introduced them as his friends from America. Bebe got stuck on Rahul's name, however. "Shahrukh Khan!" I tried to tell her to not further say anything, but she pulled out her iPhone (yes, she was crazy about being updated with new technology). "One selfie with Shahrukh, please!"

"Bebe, I don't think Mr. Khurana wants--" Rahul had taken away the right for me to address him by his first name.

"I don't mind," Rahul said. He moved to take a selfie. I shifted away towards Sanam and Mumma.

"His name is Rahul Khurana?" Mumma asked in a whisper. I nodded. A huge smile came on her face. "R. K! From Madhubala." I couldn't believe the coincidence. "He's even good-looking," she teased, nudging me. "Preet, your and his pairin--"

"Slow your horses, woman," I said. If she realized that we were actually a pair in real life two months ago, she would never say this. Right now, Mumma was joking around to see my reaction.

"Aunty, please," Sanam said with a small smile. "Bebe finally found her Shahrukh. Stop trying to make Preet kebab mein haddi (third wheel) in that love story." We laughed.

We spent the rest of the time setting for dinner. Sanam called it a night and went to his house.

As a girl, I was expected to first help serve all the kids their food, then the guests, then my uncles and then eat with the women. So sexist.

I slowly worked. Because they knew I knew Rahul and his group, my aunts and Mumma forced me to serve them their food. Yes, mehmaan bhagvan ka roop hote hain (guests are like gods), but not these guests. God didn't hate anybody (hopefully).

Rahul hated me.

"Do you need anything else?" I asked awkwardly. Radhika di and Sam shook their head. Rahul gave no answer but I saw his empty glass of water.

Sighing, I got the water jug. When I went to pour the water, Rahul moved his glass away. Radhika di, Sam, and I frowned at him.

"I don't recall asking for anything from . . . anyone," Rahul coldly said. His answer was indirectly directed at me. His sister gave me an apologetic look.

With my jaw set, I trudged away.

I hated it when people got me angry during the time I was to eat something. It ruined my appetite. Not all of us were stress eaters like Rahul. I snuck glances at him. How much could he hate me? He still wanted to carry his anger?

In frustration, I ate the dinner.

Adding insult to injury, I heard Rahul ask my mother, "Aunty, can I get some water?"

__________________

"So, that's what happened," Radhika di (sis) said.

I had just finished retelling everything that had happened in New York.

"Yup. Now, Rahul hates me because of the dumb plan, which wasn't really executed," I said, sitting back. "I was trying to get back at him when he insulted me but I stopped myself. I genuinely fell for him." All I wanted was Rahul to hear my side. That's it. If he wanted to keep hating me after that, then be it.

"He doesn't hate you," she said, shaking her head. Is she blind? "He's just upset with you, as he should be." I stayed silent. "Now, in order to get forgiveness from him, you have to make it up to him. Saying I'm sorry won't help."

"Can you help me? Please!"

I kept pleading until she agreed. His sister was much nicer than him!

We called it a night. I was too excited for the coming morning. Rahul's own sister said she'd help me. I needed to get rid of the guilt that stuck with me like my shadow.

The next two days passed with the same cold-hearted behavior from Rahul.

It wasn't getting us both anywhere.

When I woke up on the third day, I couldn't get off the bed. A little creature scurried back and forth on the floor. Radhika di wasn't here.

"Mumma!" I screamed.

I wrapped myself in my blanket, only exposing my face.

I kept shouting until half of my family was at the door, looking worried. Sanam was there too.

"What's wrong?" Radhika di asked. She was gesturing me something with her eyes but I couldn't understand. If this rat was her fault . . . ugh!

"Snake!" my three year old cousin screamed and ran away. His mom--my aunt Pinky--took him away, both scared.

"Chua (rat)!" I said erasing the misunderstanding and wrapping my dupatta around me.

The word made half of them leave, shaking their heads. Mumma, Radhika di, Sanam, Rahul, Samrat, and Lovely stayed. Finally, Mumma said, "Lovely, Sanam, just help her. I have to help with the haldi ceremony preparations." She left.

"Preet, come on," Sanam said, stepping forward.Why can't the stupid rat run out the door? I shook my head. Sanam sighed and took a seat on my bed. "Tell me how exactly can a rat hurt you."

"Plague," I replied.

It reminded me so much of the New York incident. I met Rahul's eyes for a brief moment. Did he remember?

"Preet, grow up," Lovely said. Radhika di was observing everybody. Rahul stood with Samrat, looking between the rat and Sanam.

"I can give you a piggyback ride," Sanam offered.

"Is that how you rescue people in the military?" Radhika di curiously asked. Sanam rolled his eyes and chuckled.

"You're in the military?" Rahul asked surprised. Sanam nodded proudly. "Great. You can take care of Preet--Preet's situation, I mean. Sam and I should head--" Wow, Rahul wants to leave.

"Come in . . . Over here . . . the snake's in this room." Pinky chachi (aunty) appeared in the doorway with a strange man.

He wore a orange kurta (long shirt), white pants, and a red turban on his head. He held a been (flute-like instrument) in his hand.

"Is that a snake charmer?" Lovedeep asked with half shocked and half amused.

After exchanging a glance, Sanam and I doubled over laughing. My Pinky chachi (aunty) was the most superstitious and most ridiculous person in the family. I don't even know how she found a snake charmer--or where she found him.

It was too funny.

"Ignorant children," the man said. He sat down with his been/bin (instrument) and said, "Where's the snake?"

"Do you happen to specialize in rat charming?" Rahul inquired. Sanam and I put our hands over our mouths and tried to listen to this. "We don't have a snake right now."

"What?!" The man immediatly stood up. His eyes popped wide when they landed on the rat, now standing in a corner. Turning to my aunt, the man said, "How dare you call me here to get rid of a . . . rat?!"

He turned to leave.

"Can we get to hear a sample of your . . . art, uncle?" Samrat asked. I didn't know how he, Rahul, Radhika di, and Lovedeep could control their laughter.

"Disrespect!" the man yelled and left with my aunt apologizing after him.

Behind him, the rat ran out. Sanam and I couldn't hold it and bursted out laughing again.

"Unbelievable!" said Rahul, shaking his head with a smile. The smile of his was nice to see after so long. Even his little dimple showed. The second we made eye contact, his smile vanished. Why me?

Everyone cleared out soon except Radhika di.

"Was that rat your plan?" I asked.

She nodded grinning. "I captured it myself yesterday in a box. It was in your kitchen. Your reaction was spot on, by the way. I wanted to see if Rahul would come and help you."

"Did he?"

"Yes."

_________________

The haldi ceremony was a blast. As the oldest and only female grandchild, I had to apply the paste (turmeric, gram flour, curd, sandalwood, and rose water mixture) on Lovedeep first. He couldn't say no. I gave his face a makeover. The paste/ceremony was supposed to help beautify the groom.

The DJ took care of the music. While the aunties applied the paste on Lovedeep, the kids went towards the dancing and music side.

Bebe was already there in her wheelchair, doing justice to the song "Banno tera swagger lage sexy (Banno, your swagger looks sexy)."

I forgot that Bebe's name was Banno.

Embarrassed, I hissed, "Bebe, stop dancing. People're watching--"

Bebe's response was "pare hat! Mainu pata aa ke tu jaldi aa mere Shahrukh toh (Stop it/Go away. I know you're jealous of my Shahrukh)." She winked at me and pointed to Rahul.

Rahul, Sanam, and Samrat had observed the whole thing. They laughed. Well, all except for grumpy aka Rahul.

"Preet!" Radhuka di was waving at me. I walked over.

The song "Abhi toh party shuru hui hai" ("The party has just begun") played. Radhika di made me dance with her in the crowd. She felt odd dancing without friends. Sanam joined us too. His timing was impeccable because the song "Tune mari entry aur dil mein baji ghanti" ("You entered and bells struck in my heart") started. We laughed and enjoyed.

Radhika di went to drag Sam and Rahul to the dance crowd.

Radhika di whispered in my ear: "Try to talk to Rahul. Weddings are supposed to bring people together."

I nodded pathetically. We knew he wasn't going to talk to me. I took the next opportunity and followed him when he went to get a soft drink. Rahul turned to find me smiling uneasily at him.

"Excuse me," he said icily and moved to the side.

I blocked his way and rambled, "I swear I was going to tell you about the whole plan, but then Piyali said it would hurt you, so I decided to listen to her and not say a word. I would've told you on that day when I ran away, but you didn't give me the chance. And I never wanted to hurt you--"

"Preet, stop," he said firmly.

"I'll do anything. Just don't hate me."

For once, he met my eyes. I gave him a pleading look--even batting my eyelashes. "Get out of my way." He shoved past me without another glance.

To add insult to injury, I heard the lyrics, "Aaya dilli wali girlfriend chod chad ke (I left my girlfriend from Delhi)."

Stupid Rahul stupid song.

________________________

"Preet, go and finish putting the rest of the paste on Lovely," Mumma said giving me the almost empty container. "You have to end the ceremony too, according to Bibi (Preet's grandma)."

I nodded. Radhika di tagged along.

When we reached Lovely (he was in the kitchen), we saw Rahul and Samrat in there.

"Shruti, please just listen to me!" Lovely's back was to us with his phone to his ear. Who's Shruti? Rahul and Sam started telling him to put the phone away, but Lovely didn't listen. "I couldn't say no! Mummy never gave me the chance . . . I don't know what else to do than to marry Sehaj . . . I can't tell them I love you . . . I don't know, Shruti! I'm just as helpless!"

He turned around in frustration. When he saw Radhika di and I, his jaw dropped. He cut the call immediately and looked at his friends.

"You're so screwed," I told Lovely. I knew he never loved Sehaj!

"Preet, please just keep your mouth shut," Lovely said worried.

"I can take care of that," Rahul said and turned to me, "If you--"

"He's my brother and I will support him. You don't have to do anything," I interrupted Rahul. "Who's Shruti?"

"My girlfriend in Florida," he replied. He was still covered with the paste, so his expression was hard to make out. "She and I met four years ago and ended up dating. She's a media supervisor in the company I work in. We fell in love. I came back this year to see my parents. They say now that I'm all set, I should get married . . . to Sehaj."

"Why didn't you tell them about Shruti in the first place?" Radhika di asked.

"They never gave me a chance!" he said frustrated. "Now, I can't back out."

"In this family, no one can," I agreed. His situation was understandable.

Radhika di opened her mouth to say something but Rahul held up his hand shushing her. He plodded over to Lovely and me.

"It's too late?" he asked me directly and I nodded. "Say you went to America--which you did at the end of last year--and fell in love with someone. Hypothetical situation: suppose us two fell in love." I pursed my lips. Jali pe namak, Rahul (sprinkling salt on a wound). "You came back here. I'm still over there. Your parents want you married but you don't love the boy they chose. Would you just go ahead and ditch me? Marry the other guy?"

Sanam grabbed his friend's arm and said, "Dude, chill."

"Total DDLJ," I said deflating the tension. The guys rolled their eyes. Radhika di laughed.

"Please, Rahul," Lovely said, "her parents are much more modern than mine. They'd let your hypothetical love story happen." Those words saddened me. There is no love story anymore. "Raman chachi (Preet's mom) is actually the most understanding out of everyone in this family." Mumma really was.

She was the only daughter-in-law who had education past twelfth standard.

"Then why don't we ask Raman aunty for help?" Samrat suggested.

We stared at him. "Bingo!" Radhika di (sis) said excitedly. "Sam, you're a genius!"

"Yaar je tu kudi hunda (Dude, if you were a girl), I would've just--just grabbed you right now," Lovely said overwhelmed.

"Dostana 2 bana lo (Make Dostana's sequel [movie about gay guys])," I said.

"Preet, shut up," said Rahul and turned to Lovely. Always mean! My mouth formed an "o" and I grabbed a knife nearby. Radhika di and Samrat held me back. "Who's going to talk to Raman aunty?"

Lovely looked at me. "Preeto," he said.

"Don't call me that!" I snapped at my older cousin. "You two let go," I said. Rahul had finally turned around. Samrat and Radhika di slowly released me. "I'll talk to her, but you better convince Sehaj."

"Preet! Preet!" Pinky chachi (aunty) appeared at the doorway. Everyone stiffened. Did she hear anything?

"Yes?" I asked.

"Oh good, I needed all of you together," she said and closed the kitchen door behind her. I was getting worried. Lovely stared at me and I shrugged. No one knew what was happening. "The snake charmer from this morning put a curse on all of you. In order to get rid of it, you must all fast for a straight twenty-four hours or the wedding won't go alright."

Isn't that what we want?

I facepalmed myself. "Lovely, here." I dumped the rest of the paste my Mumma had given me on Lovely's head. "I'm done. Chachi, no one is fasting. Snake charmers don't exist. I want some samosas."

That said, I opened the door to find Bibi standing there.

Shit.

Chachi (aunty) brought backup.

"I just finished telling Sanam. You'll all fast tomorrow," Bibi said and walked away. Sanam was lurking behind her. This stupid superstitious family!

"Preet, Sanam, Samrat, and Rahul--thanks a lot!" Lovely said and walked out. He called the names of the people who had exchanged words with the snake charmer.

"Come on!" Sanam announced. "We need to stuff ourselves before tomorrow morning. Fasting means no food or water!"

It took five seconds before we all scrammed to food.

__________________

How was the chapter?

How is Rahul? His anger really is justified. Will his hypothetical situation happen? ;)

Lovely loves Shruti not Sehaj. Will he get his love?

I remember seeing a snake charmer when I was in India. It was so funny. My papa's side of the family is Preet's papa's side of the family except my Bibi is much nicer.

Please keep supporting this book <3

--Kiran

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.1K 2.3K 33
𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐇𝐈 𝐀𝐆𝐀𝐑𝐖𝐀𝐋♡ Bow to the Queen Before Speaking ~ A Beauty with Brain, Sassy Attitude with a Kind & Unique Personality. At just the age...
6.4K 622 8
She loved someone else but has to marry him to save her love from the problem. He married to her for his daughter and to take his revenge. But they b...
145K 7.9K 71
" I would never be a second choice to anyone. If I need to compete with someone else for your love, I would gladly make it easier for you by taking m...
224K 17.4K 53
[Arranged Marriage Series-3] It is their first marriage. Can they be each other's second love? Saira is both the princess of her house and a highly r...