Penny for your Thoughts : A Y...

By Montgomeryblue

In the rugged landscapes of Montana, the Dutton legacy endures, not just in the sprawling ranches and vast pl... More

Author's Note to Readers
A Glimmer of Hope
Somethings on your mind
It won't be that long
Success 🩺
Knockin Boots
Shut up and open it
We are ready for this
Too good to be true
A star is born
Restless Night
Never too young to be a cowgirl
I'm no snitch
*S1*- Come on cowgirl
S1- Elk in the Park
S1- keeping secrets
S1- You don't deserve this place
S1- You should buy a smaller table
*S2*- New Beginnings
S2- Mediterranean diet
S2- What did you do now Jamie?
S2- I'm Irish enough
S2- A horse named Lucky
TRIGGER WARNING- 02X07 Resurrection Day
S2 Two scoops of ice cream, three shots of vodka
s2- burden of guilt
s2 - Where are they?
s2- You picked the wrong Penny
s2- I realized I have enough sons after all
*S3*-Penny for your thoughts
s3- Lets get down to business
S3-Stars for a ceiling
s3 - easy like Sunday morning
s3- Do I look like my name is peter?
s3- Governor comes to camp
s3- Short stock
s3-You are the trailer park. I am the tornado.
Old wounds undone
s3- I didn't ask for a ...
Early mornin thoughts
s3- Can he have my hand?
Penny's Meadow
Binge Read Coming Soon!
Birthday from heck
Heck of a Birthday
s3-The box that went boom-Pt.1
s3 -The box that went boom-Pt.2
s3-The box that went boom-Pt.3
One Month Later...
Road to recovery
*S4*- Wake up Grandpa
s4-Coming Home
s4-First time at the train station
s4- Tuna Helper
s4- No second chances
s4- Bad day
s4-It's hard to say goodbye
s4- Girl's Night of Solace
s4- Something's off
s4- A woman named Summer
s4- Who the f**k are you?
S4- It's complicated
s4- Previously on Yellowstone...
S4- Just breathe
s4- Not too good at goodbyes
s4-Diner girl
s4- It happens to us all
s4- There always a bigger bear
s4- You are wanted.
s4-Just hold on
*S5*- Its a new dawn
s5- Its a new day
s5- its a new life
s5- The rally
s5- You can rest now
s5- Penny Girl
s5-Mask the pain
s5-Do I look like I'm on Spring Break?

s3- Quit moving!

395 11 0
By Montgomeryblue

The morning sun cast a warm glow over the Yellowstone ranch as Spencer darted up to John.

"Morning, Grandpa!" Spencer calls out.

"Mornin' Penny! He says as he affectionately rubs her head.

Spencer rushed inside for breakfast, "Save me some pancakes!" John replied with a grin. Leaving Beth to join her father outside, where he enjoyed his morning coffee.

"Good morning, Daddy," Beth greeted.

"Yes, it is," John responded.

"Have you been practicing yoga?" Beth inquired with a teasing smile.

"Practicing what?" John asked, genuinely puzzled.

"I'm just trying to understand this new inner peace you've found," Beth explained.

John sighed. "What this place is facing... it isn't an enemy. It's a perspective. It's a shift in values."

"The world doesn't value your way of life anymore, Dad," Beth remarked.

"I know," John admitted.

"You can't delegate this fight to fuckin' Jamie. Okay, and... Kayce, he just doesn't have the patience or the skill. And... I can't do it by myself," Beth confessed.

"But you have to, honey. You have to teach Kayce. And you have to learn how to trust Jamie," John urged.

"Trust Jamie? Wait, you're the... you're the one telling me I shouldn't trust Jamie," Beth retorted.

"What does it matter, Beth, if I keep this place for another ten years and the three of you lose it because you couldn't figure it out?" John questioned.

Beth, frustrated, began to walk away toward the house, "No, no," she muttered.

"Beth..." John called after her.

"You don't know him!" Beth shot back.

"And what is it you know, Beth, that the rest of us don't? What did he do, Beth? What did he do? I can't help you, Beth, if you won't tell me what it is," John pressed.

Beth paused, her back turned to John, caught between the weight of her convictions and the unspoken truth she harbored about Jamie. She decided to reveal her weighted secret.

---

The tension hung thick in the air as John stormed into the house, his anger barely contained. Jamie sat at the kitchen table,  "Oh, good. I need to talk to you about something. The Market Equities Group made an..."

John cut him off with a stern intensity. "Of all the promises I've made in my life, son. If I didn't love your mother so much... I'd break it. I swear to God I would break it," John interrupted, his voice carrying the weight of suppressed rage.

"Did something happen? I don't understand," Jamie questioned, perplexed by his father's sudden fury.

"What happens in thirty years, Jamie? When you and your brother and sister are too old to fight for this place and Spencer and Tate have to fight for it on their own?"

"What are you talking about?" Jamie sought clarification.

"Lee wouldn't marry, didn't want children. I doubt you will either. And your sister could barely have Penny. She almost lost everything because of you," John explained, the mention of Beth's struggles intensifying his frustration.

"Dad, wait. Wait!" Jamie pleaded, moving around the room, attempting to convey the complexity of the situation.

"Quit moving!" John's stern command silenced Jamie as he stumbled on his words, "I didn't..I... fuck. She came to me. She was scared. I was scared," Jamie confessed, his voice a mixture of regret and desperation.

"Why would you take that from her, Jamie? Who the fuck did you think you were to take that from her?" John's anger flared, the pain of the past resurfacing.

The argument caught the attention of Kayce, "Hey, hey, hey. What the hell is going on here?" Kayce demanded.

"Ask your brother," John replied, leaving the two siblings in the tense atmosphere of the kitchen.

The distant echoes of tension lingered, casting a subtle shadow over the ranch. Seeking refuge, John finds solace in the warmth of the dining room where Spencer, blissfully unaware of the recent turmoil, is savoring a plate of pancakes. The contrast between the room's coziness and the chill from the kitchen was palpable. Spencer, ever attuned to her grandfather's emotions, spoke up, "Here you go, Pa. I saved you some."

Grateful for the small comfort, John replied, "Thank you, Penny." He attempted to push aside the lingering anger, focusing instead on the precious moments with his granddaughter. Yet, Spencer noticed the turmoil etched on his face.

"You seem upset," she observed, concern coloring her words.

Not wanting to burden her with the weight of his emotions, John tried to reassure her, "Don't worry about me, I'm fine." However, Spencer wasn't easily placated. She passed the syrup to him and continued to stare, her eyes reflecting a wisdom beyond her years.

Sensing an opportunity for a heart-to-heart, John spoke with a sincerity that transcended the current family turmoil. "Can you promise me something, Spence?" His eyes locked onto hers.

Spencer nodded, her commitment unwavering. "Promise me you will take care of your mama and love her no matter what?" John's request carried the weight of unspoken challenges.

Meeting his gaze, Spencer replied resolutely, "Always." Then, with a thoughtful pause, she turned the tables. "Can you promise me something, Pa?" John looked at her, prompting Spencer to continue, "Promise to always be honest with me. Even if it hurts. I can't take any more secrets. Those lies hurt the most." Her words held a surprising depth, a poignant reminder of the vulnerability concealed by her youthful innocence.

Caught off guard by the profoundness of his granddaughter's plea, John paused for a moment. Eventually, he nodded in agreement. The unspoken pact between them sealed.

Having finished his pancakes, John stood up and patted Spencer's shoulder affectionately. "You finish up. I'll see you later," he said, a faint smile breaking through the weight of the morning's tension. With that, John left the dining room, leaving Spencer to contemplate the promises made in the quiet embrace of the ranch's warmth.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Jamie's emotions erupted. He kicked a chair, punched the glass in the kitchen door, and, in a fit of despair, cried out his hatred. Kayce intervened, wrapping Jamie in a bear hug to prevent him from doing more damage.

"Hey.Hey.What the hell?" Kayce demanded an explanation as Jamie, consumed by grief, unleashed his emotions.

"All I do is give! I hate him. I fucking hate him," Jamie screamed, his pain echoing through the walls.

In secret, Beth listened to Jamie's heart-wrenching sobs. She walked into sight of the kitchen, and Jamie, catching her gaze, shouted, "I fucking hate you!"

As Spencer finished her meal, the distant commotion near the kitchen drew her attention. Her curiosity piqued, she quietly left the dining room and peeked her head over, concern etched on her young face. She saw her mother standing in the doorway, "What's going on? Is that Uncle Jamie?" she asked, her innocent eyes searching for answers.

Beth, sensing the need to shield Spencer from the unfolding turmoil, swiftly picked her up and whispered, "Come here, baby."
With Spencer in her arms, Beth walked her out of the lodge, determined to spare her daughter from the intensity of the family drama.

In the cool afternoon air outside, Beth held Spencer close, the warmth of their embrace offering a stark contrast to the emotional tempest within the house. Beth looked at her daughter, her protective instincts in full force.

"Everything's gonna be alright," Beth reassured Spencer, pressing a gentle kiss to her daughter's forehead.

Spencer, though still curious, trusted her mother's words. She nestled against Beth, feeling the reassuring beat of her heart. In the distance, the ranch sprawled under the vast Montana sky, a serene landscape that belied the turmoil within its inhabitants. As they stood there, mother and daughter, Beth silently vowed to shield Spencer from the storms that life might bring, even as she grappled with the tempests within her own family.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.8K 677 24
Kayce's childhood friend Y/n ends up pregnant with someone's child who is in prison, Walker. The youngest Dutton child has been crushing on her for y...
8K 193 9
Genevieve Dutton, the youngest among the Dutton children, broke her father's heart when she courageously set off for school and, incredibly, never re...
55.1K 819 45
What if Kayce had another child before Tate? What if he didn't know about it? See that's the thing Haley didn't want kayce her best friend to know a...
2K 26 7
Josephine "Jo" Dutton is the youngest of the five of them. She was born and raised on the Ranch just like her siblings. She loved being in the countr...