Amber & Honey ~ [DR3]

By rudimentals

Daniel knew he'd messed up the moment he saw her again in his teammates room. Amber knew it was a mistake fr... More

Summary & Playlist
1. Monza
2. Insane
IG - Good Luck Charm
3. Reintroduction
4. Friendly
5. Driver Rooms
IG - Good Evening
6. Movie Night
7. Breakfast
8. Australia
IG- Orange
9. Welcome Home
10. Farm
11. Think About Us?
IG - Together?
12. Imola
13. We shouldn't...
14. Preoccupied
IG- Think About Me
IG- Miami
15. Catch Up
16. Take a Hint
IG-Ferrari
17. Secret
18. The Wedding Guest
19. Traitor
20. Monaco
21. More Than That
IG-Favourite Place
22. Ride
IG- Update
23. Jump
24. Promise Me
25. Baku
26. Lando
IG- Montreal
27. Dare
28. Forget
29. Convenience
IG- 33
30. Silverstone
IG- Sick
32. Date
33. Austria
IG- Birthday
34. 26
35. France
IG- Hot
36. Girlfriend
37. Liar
38. Sunday
39. Ignored
40. Hungary
IG- Santorini
41. Holiday Mode
IG - A While
42. Spiralling
IG - Summertime
43. Jet lag / LA
IG - Spa
45. The Gala
46. Raise a Toast
IG- Holland
47. The Water Bottle
48. Understanding
49. Bad Idea
IG- Como
50. Fast
IG- Monza
51. All Good
52. Three
53. Champagne
IG - 2022/2023
IG -2024
DR1. Monza
DR2. Australia
DR3. You + Me = 3
BONUS CHAPTER: What Happens in Vegas

31. My Girl

12.8K 373 226
By rudimentals

To stop everyone from panicking pls know that Amber is not pregnant, she's just very sick. It's all fine!

Enjoy the cuteness!

"Babe," Daniel says the name softly reaching for me and I only pout at him a tired grin gracing my face as I take a slow step back.

"I don't wanna get you sick." I mumble, my voice weak as I slump a little against the wood of the front door. My eyes are still all watery and voice is weak.

"Amber," he says my name gently and I pout at the sound my chest aching. I've missed him so much. I can't believe he's here.

"If you can't race Silverstone because of me I'd die! And I'm already pretty close to it so please don't push me." I joke, there's no variation in my tone though so it just sounds like a dry complaint.

I play with my hair self consciously, the mass of loose curls on my head suddenly feeling uncomfortable in his presence. I at least look like I'm about to die, I know that much. There's a pinch of silence between us as I pout and just look at him with disbelief.

"Fuck that!" Daniel huffs at my hesitation, that smile that makes my heart hurt on his lips.

With one step he's level with me and engulfs me in his arms. I let myself fall into his body, holding my weight up was getting too tiring anyway. My hands tie into his shirt for extra support as I breathe him in, his usual woody smell soothing me as I fall into him relaxing in his hold.

"How are you even here?" I hum, my eyes playing the dangerous game of floating closed, body still pressed into Daniel's. His hand is running up and down my back and it's the best I've felt in 24 hours.

"There's this thing...called a car? Dunno if you've heard of it, but it's crazy!" He cheers sarcastically. "Literally insane!" I don't have the energy to complain or swat Daniel's arm for his teasing words. Instead, I just make a small whining sound and he presses a soft kiss to the top of my head against the messed up curls. "What do you mean how am I here?" He asks his voice quiet as if he knows about the splitting ache between my eyes.

"How? Why? You should be at the track." I point out, chewing down on my lower lip as Daniel's hand makes its way into my head, weaving between the tied up strands and holding me softly.

"Well, practice is over and I heard my girl is so sick she can't even sit up straight" I swear when he said 'my girl' my heart doubled in size. "So I thought 'why not go and see her'?" Daniels words are playful. My heart is almost bursting.

"It's so far!" I hate how whiny my voice sounds.

"It's only an hour. I'd drive further if I had to." Daniel says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"Daniel..." his name leaves my lips, my chest aching from all the effort he's made. "It's your birthday." I note leaning away from his body to look at him with soft eyes. He makes a small 'eh' noise as he shrugs lazily, his hand grasps at mine holding on softly.

"It's still my birthday here." He notes and I coo softly with his words.

"You should be going out and celebrating." I try and he shakes his head.

"My plans for tonight were to spend it with you, probably ordering room service and watching a movie." Daniel says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. "I can hardly go mad with qualifying tomorrow. I can't think of a better celebration." He admits and I feel myself pout. I still feel like I'm holding him back, I'm not exactly up for a fun night right now.

"Your parents..." I trail off looking up at Daniel with my dad eyes. He just shakes his head at my words.

"Are here all week." He finishes for me and I blink slowly at him. "They agreed someone should check on you." He adds casually and I find myself pouting.

I'm glad it's him. I'm so glad he's here.

I just can't believe it.

Before I can protest anymore Daniel is setting down the flowers on the side table by the front door, scooping me up in his arms and taking me back upstairs to my room. I let my limbs wrap around him, pulling him close as we move through the house and focus on taking deep breaths in and out to offset the nausea the movement is causing. His hands grasp my thighs as he carries me through to my room and I snuggle my head into the crook of his neck. He's freshly showered and smells like soap and fresh aftershave.

Danie sets me softly back on my bed, taking the blanket and wrapping my body in it before pressing a hand to my head. "You're so hot." He almost grumbles and I snort quietly to myself loving the duality of his words. I most definitely do not look remotely 'hot' right now - I've been up since three am throwing up.

"Okay," he mumbles to himself, pressing another soft kiss on my head. I can see him looking around the room taking in the sight, the TV on low, curtains blowing softly in the breeze, my water bottle empty on the bed beside me. "I'll be one minute." He continues and I don't reply with words only a small whine as I pull the blankets of my bed back over me. I find myself pressing my head into his lips, my eyes fluttering closed.

Daniel disappears from the room, his body almost bouncing down the stairs. I hear him cluttering around downstairs in the kitchen, humming to himself as I slip in and out of a lazy sleep. At some point the front door is even opened and I hear Daniel's heavy footsteps pass out of the house. The clink of glasses from the kitchen makes my temples hurt even from my room.

Eventually, he returns. I'm not sure how long it's been, I've been dozing in and out of sleep, but it feels like hours. Friends is still playing on the TV quietly and it's at least an episode on from when I last cast my eyes to the screen.

There's a tray carefully balanced in Daniel's hands. The small bunch of orange Tulips he brought with him are neatly displayed in a small grey vase. My branded orange Mclaren water bottle, which he must've pulled from one of the cabinets, has been filled with cool, icy water. "Slowly." Daniel mumbles as a warning when he puts it in my hands. I nod fighting a grin at his care, unclipping the cap of the bottle and taking a small pathetic sip to test how the liquid feels lying on my stomach.

"I didn't know if you wanted to eat, but I'm starving so I made some toast." He explains gesturing to the plate still by him. My face twists a little at the thought. I can't think of anything worse. "Sorry it's nothing better, I'm a little tired." The lack of food choice isn't a bother to me.

"Will Michael not tell you off for straying away from his meal plan?" I ask attempting to make a joke. Daniel smiles in my direction and just shakes his head at me, grinning.

"I also got this." He says, moving on from my words,lifting a glass of purple liquid from the tray and placing it on my bedside table. "I've got a buddy who was in the navy, he swears by blackcurrant when you're sick." Daniel explains with a shrug and I pout, tears welling up in my eyes again. Did I mention this illness has made my every emotion heightened because of all the exhaustion? Did I mention that Daniel Ricciardo is the sweetest guy to ever exist?

"I can't believe you." I mumble, my lips pouting as Daniel rolls his eyes. "Thank you." I say my words genuine as I pout, a fluttering of warmth and comfort travelling through me. Daniel just shrugs and instead reaches to pull his orange and grey McLaren jumper over his head. There's a plain black tee underneath. He's already kicked off his shoes, and the jogger bottoms he's wearing look so comfortable that I'm wondering if I could convince him to source more of them for me - or steal them.

"What are we watching?" Daniel asks gesturing for me to shuffle along as he sets himself down on the usual side of the bed. There's a plate of buttered toast in his hands as he pulls my blanket partially over his body to cover his sock-clad feet.

"Friends." I mumble turning up the volume of my tv. Daniel's arm curls around me, pulling me closer into his body as he nods.

He feeds me small mouse sized bites of toast as he finishes slice after slice. I think about kicking him out because of the smell and thought of crumbs spilling onto my sheets at least five times before he finishes. The spare hand of his running against my scalp is what stops me from banishing him. We stay like this for what feels like hours, and for the first time all day I feel (slightly) human.

"So...Who was the girl you've been with today?" I'm sipping carefully from my water bottle when the question leaves me. I'm watching Daniel through my glasses carefully, he frowns for a moment before turning to me. I was attempting to make it a casual question, I'm not sure it came out that way. I'm not sure I have the energy in me to make anything casual.

"Girl?" He asks, sounding puzzled, and I roll my lips into my mouth.

"Lando said you'd been with a girl." I note, anxiety pooling in me. It's really nothing to be anxious about. This is the same man who's drove over an hour to just sit here with me and feed me toast when I'm sick. The same man who even when we were miles apart declared that he liked me a lot.

I really need to remind myself of that next time Lando tries to plant seeds of doubt in me.

"Lando's such a-" he huffs stopping his words, his hand has paused against my hair. I shift up in my spot to look at Daniel who's shaking his head, my eyes are slightly narrowed as if daring him to say anything negative about my brother. Perhaps hitting Lando in the face with that space hopper yesterday wasn't such a mistake from him. I fight another laugh at the thought of the videos.

"That makes it sound like it's something it's not." He continues with a shake of his head. "It was Layla - Michael's sister. She's visiting from home this weekend too." He explains and I make a quiet 'oh' sound.

On the screen between us Ross and Rachel fight, the uncomfortable feeling I've been carrying with me since Lando spilled the information this morning disperses. "Are you jealous?" He asks and my cheeks heat.

"I mean, you keep calling me 'your girl', shouldn't I be jealous?" I ask feeling embarrassed at being caught out. "Does that not come with the job description?" Daniel pauses, it's not in shock but in thought at my words. He looks a little smug that I've eventually referred to myself as 'his girl' - whatever that means.

"I didn't know you had a job." He says lightly poking fun at me and I scowl.

Ouch.

If his fingers didn't feel so magical against my scalp I'd kick him out of the bed. "But yeah, okay." I laugh weakly at his words. I mean the laugh I just don't have the energy in me to engage. I like that he can tease me. I like that the lack of job thing is also we can joke about now.

"Maybe not for much longer." I hum, Daniel's joke about my job suddenly reminding me. "I forgot to tell you, I applied for a masters."

"What?" I nod on return to his question. I hadn't actually spoken to anyone about it apart from one of the media team members at Mclaren. And my Dad.

"In advertising at NYU two weeks ago." I clarify feeling excited to finally share this news with someone who isn't my Dad. I chew down on my lip with nerves. "It's stupid, I'll not get in." I ramble nervously, taking a sip of the blackcurrant juice left by my bed.

"You don't know that!" Daniel urges and I continue to chew on my lower lip. His hand wraps around my own and he squeezes lightly. "They'd be stupid to not take you." Daniel says his voice firm, and reassuring and it makes the nerves in my body settle. A gentle smile gracing my face at his compliment. "I'm so proud of you!" Dan cheers, pulling my body into his side, his head dipping down so that his lips can brush against my cheek. I feel the skin there immediately heat.

Ugh, I miss kissing him properly. I would like this virus to immediately leave my body so I can at least do that!

"It's nothing." I dismiss his cheer.

-

"We should really sleep." Daniel states and I nod sleepily. He begins to move from the bed to close my curtains which still have the last glimmer of sunlight shining through them as I huff. I'd been snuggled into him for the last thirty minutes fighting waves of exhaustion, I immediately miss the feel of him against me. Friends is still playing on the TV, neither of us being bothered to change it after Daniel's long day and the weakness running through my body.

We've been quietly talking about the last two weeks apart. There's been no need to watch the TV, the highlights of Daniel's trip to Montana were more interesting than an episode of friends could ever be.

I had managed to keep the nibbles of toast in my body for exactly 40 minutes. Then I was running back to the bathroom to throw up once more.

I was mortified to look up and see Daniel holding a cool flannel for me to press against my face and a toothbrush when I was done. 'Not my best moment.' I told him embarrassed, he only shrugged and passed the toothbrush to me. 'I'm not going anywhere.' Is all he said sliding his long legs down on the door beside me for ten minutes until I gained the strength to pull myself back into my feet.

"Oh, wait!" I don't know where the sudden burst of energy has come from to be able to say the words so loud. Daniel pauses in his spot, wide eyed looking at me. It wasn't what he was expecting from me at all in this moment. I've even surprised myself.

His black boxers hang deliciously low on his hips, the hard worked muscles on his body on full display for my greedy eyes. Any other day I'd be eating him up (literally running my tongue or mouth against them), now I just get to appreciate from a small distance. I can't wait to rejoin the land of the living to do that. "The desk. I got a gift for you." I explain, pointing to the other side of the room.

A slow smile creeps up on Daniel's face as he moves from his spot by my window to collect the gifts.

He brings the the neatly wrapped gift to the bed and I watch him from my pillow excitement and nerves buzzing through me. Well, as much excitement as I can manage.

Daniel takes in the wrapping paper mumbling a quiet 'sick' to himself in appreciation of the drawings on it. I'd ordered it especially on Etsy, ensuring that the F1 cars he'd driven over the years were neatly sketched into the brown paper. Blue Red Bull cars, grey and yellow Renault cars and even some orange (or papaya) McLaren ones dot around in random patterns and Daniel's eyes drift over them carefully. He recognises the cars immediately. "This wrapping is enough, shit Amber." He says to himself, fingers rubbing against the side of his face as he continues to take it in.

Butterflies swarm in my stomach and pride fills me. The hours I spent brainstorming ideas suddenly feel worth it.

"I have some left over, I thought you could maybe frame it? I thought it could look good in your garage in Perth?" I suggest and Daniel nods quickly at the suggestion. He carefully eyes me whilst neatly in tearing at the corner of the gift. He looks a little moved by the thoughtfulness of it all. "If you don't like it then...I don't know." I lose track of my words halfway through making Daniel smile to himself as he continues to carefully unwrap the present as if he's scared he might break it if it's opened too fast.

The book encased in the paper is eventually fully unwrapped. His dark eyes take it in carefully as I adjust my glasses watching for any hint of a reaction on his face. "I struggled with pictures from testing." I admit chewing down on my lower lip as I raise my water bottle to my lips to take another gentle sip. Daniel shakes his head at my words, his eyes scanning page after page of the photo book a smile growing on his face.

There's images from everywhere we've been so far this year, with enough empty space to finish the book at the end of the season. Pictures of Daniel, the race track and sights we've seen along the way line the pages. I made extra care to include ones with his friends and family, getting Michael to send me his favourite pictures from the season so far as well as Scotty and Blake. I even called his Mum to collect some pictures of his time at home before the Australia race. It gave me a bigger pool to select good images from; especially after my avoidance of him over the Miami and Barcelona races.

"Amber," Daniel says my name his tone disbelieving. His voice is hushed and tinged with disbelief.

"I spent hours looking for something for you, you have everything!" I complain feeling awkward, nerves swimming through me as I play with the material of the quilt infront of me. It wasn't an expensive gift, but it was thoughtful and it's the thought that counts, right.

"I don't have this...well, I didn't have this." He explains gesturing to the photo book in his hands. I smile softly at his words, reflecting the grin on his face. "Thank you." I don't know what to do with that, his words are so soft and gentle I feel like I'd ruin them with anything I can possibly say. So I just nod softly, my fingers tracing where Daniel's move on the page until they interlock with his.

-

There's gentle light streaming against the window when I notice daniels shifted from the bed beside me and when I flicker my eyes open lazily he's crouched down beside me. His thumb drawing circles on my bare shoulder. "G'day!" he greets me in that gentle caricature way he seems to, taking full advantage of any Australian stereotypes. His voice is quiet and the ache in my head, behind my eyes, thanks him.

"What time is it?" I hate how croaky my voice sounds, I almost cringe. He doesn't seem phased.

"Six twenty, I have to leave now to beat traffic." I make a small groan of acknowledgement. "Your temperatures gone down, hopefully you'll start to feel better." He almost muses to himself.  I only nod in agreement, I don't feel any better but we can hope. I'm doing my best to remain positive! I just nod at the words after a moment, silence echoing between us.

"Will you watch?" He asks fingers still brushing soothingly against my skin. They're cool and...nice, especially when they skim over the back of my neck.

"Of course." We have every sports subscription going in this house. A race could never be missed even if the whole of sky sports crashed, Mum made sure of it. I flicker my eyes open at the right moment. Daniel is smiling at my words and it's making my chest ache in that gorgeous way I'm beginning to get used to. My words are what he wanted to hear. If he keeps looking at me like that I'll forever tell him everything he wants to hear.

"Be safe, Good luck!" I encourage weakly, my voice as pathetic as I feel.

"Thanks Ambs." Daniel pressed a gentle kiss to my cheek with the well wish. I only wish I could manage to cheer him (and Lando) on in person. "I'll be back later." He promises and I'm about to groan and say he doesn't need to return and I can look after myself just fine when he quietly whispers about fresh water and juice by my bed. I'm about to tell him to not waste his time when his fingers interlace with my own, giving a firm squeeze.

No, I want him here, if he's offering I don't have it in me to turn him down. I'll be more generous on Sunday after the race, he won't have to return to me then. My eyes flicker closed.

There's a pause.

"Daniel?" I hum a wave of exhaustion hitting me, sleep is pulling at my toes trying to drag me back under but I'm fighting it. My eyes are closed. He makes a small 'hm' noise and relief fills me, his fingers are no longer tangled in mine. I was a little worried incase I'd been dozing and he'd snuck off to the track already.

His lips graze gently on my forehead with the call of his name and I hum in pleasure at the feel of him. I wish we could kiss, but I refuse to get him sick, especially before this weekend. We'll be lucky if he doesn't catch it (whatever it is) from sleeping beside me all night.

"I think maybe...I might love you." The words are quiet, almost whispered, my voice weak from lack of liquid and exhaustion. But he hears it, I'm sure. His lips freeze against my forehead and I'm clawing to just stay awake and hear his response. I need to know his response.

"I think I might love you too Amber." Is the last thing I hear before sleep pulls me back under.

——————
Hello

First of all, (once again) I did what had to be done!

Second, the amount of reads just forever blows my mind. 60?! Thank you so much!

Third, can we collectively fight McLaren? Because...I can't!

❤️❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140K 2.1K 100
Leaving behind a past she'd rather forget, Elizabeth, now known to her new colleagues and friends as Libby starts the journey of her new life. Fast...
69.1K 2.6K 35
Georgina Preston has heard everything about Daniel Ricciardo. Whispers from friends of friends have kept her endlessly up to date with his life even...
330K 6.7K 48
Lando's best friend, Alya Ricciardi, is a YouTuber and influencer with many fans all over the world. When she realizes that just traveling the world...
3.6M 85.6K 72
"The only thing i want from you is to see your name under mine when the race is over." "Pretty sure you want me under you more than you want that." ✼...