CAST OF HEROES

By Nightmansid

James Orion Reese, a human-hybrid alien, who was chosen to save the multiverse from an unknown benefactor. Wh... More

Notice
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fiftteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Forty

Chapter Thirty-Nine

615 1 0
By Nightmansid

The pressure was mounting and James drove the vehicle five miles far out from the mansion deep in the woods. Driving it was similar to a go-kart from Earth 1. He turned his head to the side, praying Melidan wasn't behind him as his heart raced. He sighed, gripping the steering wheel, keeping his mind focused on the destination. Much was at stake. More than ever, finding the Orb of Tesina to save all Earths from entire annihilation was critical. James couldn't afford to fail in his mission for the sake of all life since everyone was counting on him. Hard Drive made James' heart jump out of his chest as he peeked through the rear view mirror.

"Hard Drive, what are you doing?" James asked.

"I need to go back and save Dr. Fern." Hard Drive snitched off his belt. "I may not like him for what he did to me, but he is still my father."

Haru San rubbed his head."We can't go back, Hard Drive. We would die and Melidan would win."

"Finding the Orb of Tesina is our main priority!" James mashed his foot down on the accelerator. "It is our only key to stopping Melidan."

James sighed. "Hard Drive, there was something Dr. Fern wanted me to give to you."

James reached for his pocket and showed Hard Drive the small red crystal with the silver tips on the end. "He wanted you to have this."

James placed the red crystal in Hard Drive's hand. A red light blinked from the crystal. Hard Drive's iris flashed when he did a deep scan on the crystal from his eyes. A hologram image of Dr. Fern appeared from the red crystal.

"Janos, if you received this message, then I'm probably dead. I know you and I wasn't the same since Jenna passed. Ever since that night of the explosion happened, I blamed myself for what happened to you and Jenna. This was something I haven't told you. My obsession with my work cost me your lives. I did all I could to save you and Jenna. Your mother was too far gone and didn't survive the surgery. My only regret was not being the father you needed me to be. I wanted you to know that I'm proud of the person you have become. When you activated the crystal, I was able to upload the coordinates to find the Orb of Tesina. Farewell, my son! Live a good life. Know that I will always love you." The hologram of Dr. Fern faded.

"Dr. Fern died an honorable death."Green Thunder held on to his shoulder.''He gave us a chance to escape Melidan. In my book, your father is a hero.''

"I second that," Charles said inside Green Thunder's head.

Hard Drive listened to James's last word echoing in the back of his artificial mind, "stopping Melidan" like it was the only thing that ringed true. Except for his connection to Finder. Finder was the one thing that mattered to him more than his whole existence. He would do anything to protect what was important to him, no matter the price.

"Going back for your father is a suicide." Green Thunder pulled back his arm. "Melidan will kill you."

Finder nodded."For once, I agree with Green Thunder. Going back there would mean your end. I don't want you to die." She reached for his face. "Janos, please stay. You don't have to do this!"

Hard Drive looked into Finder's eyes as tears rolled down her cheeks from her orange face. She sniffled and sighed with a fake smile. Hard Drive leaned in, touching his forehead against hers, holding on to her.

Finder tightened her lip as her eyebrows lowered."There is no way of talking you out of this."

Hard Drive turned to James."I set the coordinates to find the Orb of Tesina on the display. It will give the quickest route to get there."

The vehicle James was driving took a direct purple energy blast from the rear that shook it. Finder yelled, narrowing her eyes at Melidan. She fired multiple shots from her rifle at Melidan, hitting him with everything she got. Melidan hurled heavy balls of purple energy at the vehicle that shook the group.

Haru San fired his weapon at Melidan, gritting his teeth. He pushed Finder down."Take cover, Princess."

Hard Drive fired his sonic weapon up in the air, pushing Melidan back.

Shields at seventy-five percent!

"What the heck was that?" James asked, looking around the corner.

Green Thunder turned his head looking up in the air "Guys! We have a problem!"

Up in the sky, Melidan was flying in mid-air, a mess of purple that flowed to his body, charging another energy blast from his hand. He aimed at the group again, firing a shot missing them.

"You think you can escape me!" Melidan fired another energy blast from his chest. James turned to dodge it while shooken up.

"We need to lose him. Any suggestions? Now would be good!" James felt another blow from a direct hit as he turned the wheel hard.

Shields were at thirty-two percent!" James turned the wheel, trying to keep steady.

"Take the detour to the caves on your right. There is a force field barrier that I can lower from the main defense protocol. It was something Dr. Fern developed. I need just five minutes to access it and lower the shields. To do that, I need access to the main computer terminal from this vehicle to tell the shields to lower. Then, raise it back up when we cross, keeping Melidan from entering. All you need is a quick acceleration. I will buy you more time." Hard Drive opened a small window from the vehicle and formed his golden hand into a weapon, while the other formed into long coils that intercepted the computer terminal from the screen.

Hard Drive started blasting Melidan with his soundwaves weapon. Finder and Haru San assisted him with automatic rifles. He sighed, clenching each shot. Melidan countered their direct attacks from the air. His purple force field deflected their attacks. His orange eyes squinted in annoyance. "Enough of your games!"

Melidan charged a large, orange ball of energy from his fist and threw it at the vehicle.

"If you got an idea, now would be a good time." Haru San fired his last shot.

"James incoming!" Green Thunder shouted.

"Hang on!" James turned the vehicle, moved to the side, and pressed the accelerator. He swerved the vehicle side to side, avoiding Melidan's blast.

"A little warning next time!" Green Thunder held onto his seat.

"Hey, I'm trying to avoid his attacks." James turned his wheel again avoiding another blast.

The vehicle took another hit. Shields at fifteen percent. James was fifteen feet away from reaching the caves. There was a narrow gap between the rocks and an overcast of fog, which was ideal for cloaking. Haru San and Finder ducked down from Melidan's blast and reloaded their weapons. Green Thunder diverted Melidan's blast with his sword. Finder aimed and fired her rifle directly at Melidan's chest.

"I'm running out of ammo!" Finder kept on firing her rifle.

"Computer, override accelerators!" Hard Drive commanded.

"Confirmed!"

"Everyone hold on!" James pushed his foot down.

The vehicle thrusters expanded and the vehicle moved at lightning speed. James turned quickly to the side of the rocks, creating distance from Melidan. Finder fired more shots at Melidan, clipping him in the shoulders, slowing him down. James waved Melidan bye with his backhand as he turned the steering wheel within the caves. He drove it deeper into the rocks going through a massive tunnel. James followed the light, leading to an opening.

"Everyone, hold on!" James did a forward spiral spin, dodging pillars. He redirected the vehicle to a steady incline closer to the rocks. The vehicle wheels scraped against the rocks.

James turned the vehicle, dodging and weaving from oncoming five-foot gigantic boulders. He turned the steering wheel and made a deep turn from left and right. He wiped the sweat off his face, trying not to lose his nerves. In a matter of minutes, James went inside the opening of the hole within the dark caves. He turned on the high beams. Green bats that hung above the caves opened and spread their wings in a frenzy. Each flew against the glass, making echo noises to alert the others. James turned on the high beams, the vehicle screeched to a halt when all the bats surrounded the glass, scratching and clawing at it. Their red piercing against the light, their carbon dioxide breath, fogging the windows.

"Oh, no! I hate these creatures." Haru San frowned aiming his weapon.

"What the heck? Bats?" James looked straight ahead, eyes bulged.

Finder nodded."Well, they are not the bat vultures of my world."

"No, these things are far worse." Hard Drive eyes scanned the bats to identify what species they were.

"What do you mean?" James asked, wishing he didn't inquire.

Hard Drive had his weapons pointed to the glass. "These bats are not your ordinary bats," Hard Drive explained. "These bats are lethal--"

The green bats vomited yellow goo from their mouth. The glass started melting. "James drive now!" Hard blasted green bats from coming inside. In a quick second reaction, James took the foot off the brake and drove the vehicle further into the caves.

Green Thunder sliced three bats with his sword. "I hate these creatures."

"So do I." Haru San punched one with the butt of his gun. "I prefer bat vultures over these creatures!"

                          * * *
Out of nowhere, a loud growl was heard from the top of the caves. James looked to his right and saw a giant orange bear with red eyes. It stood out of the shadows with yellow fur. The bear leaped from the top of the edge of the cliff onto the vehicle biting and clawing the bats away. A loud vibrational sound, heard from up top, made the bats fly away. A man in a silver cloak, with glowing green marks on his head, waved his head. "You must hurry. This way!"

James, Finder, Haru San, Hard Drive, and Green Thunder got out of the vehicle and started running. James's eyes glowed with blue energy as he summoned his blue aura to surround his body. Everyone stormed toward the opening inside another cavern. The orange bear strode with the group. James blasted down five angry green bats with his blue energy balls. Hard Drive fired his Soundwave weapon at the green bats. Finder ducked out of the way, firing multiple shots at the green bats. Their bodies disintegrated on impact. Green Thunder sliced through a handful of green bats, with his sword mid-swing, they came at him with full fury. Haru San fired his sidearm gun at a few that spat out yellow goo and missed.

Hard Drive picked up Finder off the floor."It just gets better and better."

Hard Drive eyes blinked and smiled. "Yes, it does.

Hara San ran to Finder."Princess, are you alright?"

"I'm okay." Finder walked forward.

"I hate bats!" Green Thunder hacked his way clear.

"Come on, team! We got to keep moving." James led the group.

The man in a silver cloak placed his hand on a black panel. It flashed red, closing the door before the green bats entered. The door made a clang against the wheel. Everyone caught their breath.

"Who are you?" James asked, while his hand charged with blue energy ready to blast the man.

"I am Koren. Keeper of these caves. I have been watching all of you and the one called Melidan. I know the evil that he has caused throughout multiple Earths. I also know you are looking for the Orb of Tesina."

James' eyes sparked of hope. "Do you know where it is?"

"Yes, I do." Koren guided them.

"Hey, wait for a second James! How do you know if he won't lead us into a trap?" Green Thunder inquired, staring at Koren, his hand gripped the hilt of his sword.

James sighed."The guy just saved our lives! If Koren wanted to do us harm, he could have left us out there with these bats."

Finder nodded. "James got a point on this one Green Thunder. He risked his life to save ours. I say we will go with him."

"Green Thunder sighed. "Fine, I will follow your lead."

Hara San picked up his pace. "Let's get on with this."

Everyone followed Koren through the corridors of the halls. The humming sounds of the machine emitted a musical melody that was foreign. Rays of red and blue lights streamed above them. Koren placed his hand against another panel on the wall. It scanned his hand while a green light flashed. The door opened. James was star struck at what he saw. An advanced laboratory that was remotely advanced with state of the art technology from the likes he had never soon until now. Alien symbols hung at each corner of the wall with gold symbols.

"Behold my laboratory." Koren raised his hand. "There you find what you are looking for." Koren pointed to a round red orb.

James knew right away what it was. He felt the power that called out to him. The raw power that glowed a yellow light at the center of the orb as James strode closer. Destiny has led him to this finale moment, a moment that would change the lives of billions across multiple Earths.

James's eyes bulged while everyone was riveted in one spot. "Is that what I think it is?"

"The Orb of Tesina." Koren smiled. "The very thing you need to stop Melidan."

"Do you know how to activate it?" James raised his eyebrows.

"Only a Superior with great power can operate it at its true potential." Koren looked at the Orb. "All you have to do is touch it."

The alarms went off, the force field failed and the walls were breached. "Oh, that is not good." James looked around. "Melidan is inside."

A loud boom rummaged through Koren's lab that sent everyone hurling against the wall. A hand gripped Karen's neck with great speed. James fired his blue aura ball of energy at Melidan's head. Finder and Haru San fired their weapons, not making a dent. James charged in with a blue aura fist. Green Thunder jumped in mid-air with a forward slash at Melidan's torso. Melidan deflected Green Thunder swords and head-butted him, cracking his helmet. He Blasted Green Thunder with an orange energy ray from his hand against the wall. Melidan smacked James against the wall and fired an orange energy blast at Finder.

"Princess!" Haru San stepped in front of the blast, taking a direct hit at the chest for Finder. He went down, falling to the side.

"Haru San!" Finder yelled, kneeling down, pulling him closer to him. Heat burned a hole deep into his chest. Smoke had risen to the surface.

"Princess, are you hurt?" Haru San asked, looking into her eyes.

"No, I am okay." Finder gripped his hand and tears streamed down her face.

"You are safe. That's all that matters." Haru San smiled and reached for her face.

Haru San coughed out blood and then silence. The life of his eyes faded. Finder cried holding his hand.

Hard Drive blasted Melidan with his soundwave weapon, pressing him back fifteen feet. "James, go get the orb."

Koren laughed. "Your too late Melidan! The Orb of Tesina has a new chosen one! James grab the Orb now! We believe in you!"

James got back up slowly. His blue aura grew brighter with intensity. He glanced at the Orb of Tesina that glowed with a pure yellow light, standing in the middle.

"Your faith is misguided!" Melidan glared at Koren and blasted him with his orange energy rays until there was nothing left but smoke and ash. Koren's orange bear ran up to Melidan and attacked him with claws and teeth. Melidan blasted the bear with an orange ray from his hand wounding it in the gut. James ran toward the Orb and Tesina. He knew that the Orb of Tesina was his only shot at stopping Melidan.

"No." Melidan fired multiple orange energy rays at James, trying to slow him down. "I will destroy you, Creature!"

James ducked and dodge, running up on the wall. His blue aura shield provided some protection against the orange rays of Melidan's hands.

Ahead of him, James saw the Orb of Tesina. It was twenty feet away from his grasp. He breathed heavily, running toward it with all of his might, his hand reaching for the Orb and touching it. All of the yellow energy from the device entered James. The level of power was overwhelming. Melidan flew up in the air with punches and kicks towards James.

In a last ditch effort, James deflected all his attacks and struck Melidan's head and chest with his blue flaming fist that shattered his armory. Melidan went down hard on the ground. His body burned from the inside. He hissed at James. Shock formed on their faces when Hard Drive, Finder, and Green Thunder were amazed at how calm and powerful James had become. "Your evil ends Melidan!" James pointed his finger at Melidan with green glowing eyes. "It ends today!"

Melidan got back up."No, I will not submit to you! You will die!" Melidan fired his heavy beam of orange energy with both his hands at James, with intense rage. His orange glowing eyes glanced at him in defiance.

From the side, James fired his blue aura power against Melidan's immense powerful orange ray. They were in a deadlock. James' body tightened, increasing the output of his blue aura power into a wave of massive energy that overshadowed Melidan's orange-ray beam. In mere seconds, Melidan's body was engulfed in James's blue aura power and was destroyed. There was nothing left but a piece of dark metal from the armor he once wore. Smoke escaped the metal alloy. James collapsed to the floor, his blue aura power faded.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171 12 40
Zoé Orion is the generic nerd of her school, always with her head in a book. Quiet, smart, funny when she wants to be. Her only friend is Mei but eve...
458 40 18
The first installment of the Sentinels World, a part of the Alpha Universe where superhumans exist, many of which created by freak scientific acciden...
12.3K 947 15
A legend once said, 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓱𝓮𝓵𝓵 𝓲𝓼 𝓮𝓶𝓹𝓽𝔂 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓮𝓿𝓲𝓵𝓼 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮. And he was right. In a world where extraordin...
43 0 8
(Own Story) The year is 2023 and a high school student named Ryan Leviath found out he had powers in middle school. Bullies were picking on him and h...