Amber & Honey ~ [DR3]

By rudimentals

Daniel knew he'd messed up the moment he saw her again in his teammates room. Amber knew it was a mistake fr... More

Summary & Playlist
1. Monza
2. Insane
IG - Good Luck Charm
3. Reintroduction
4. Friendly
5. Driver Rooms
IG - Good Evening
6. Movie Night
7. Breakfast
IG- Orange
9. Welcome Home
10. Farm
11. Think About Us?
IG - Together?
12. Imola
13. We shouldn't...
14. Preoccupied
IG- Think About Me
IG- Miami
15. Catch Up
16. Take a Hint
IG-Ferrari
17. Secret
18. The Wedding Guest
19. Traitor
20. Monaco
21. More Than That
IG-Favourite Place
22. Ride
IG- Update
23. Jump
24. Promise Me
25. Baku
26. Lando
IG- Montreal
27. Dare
28. Forget
29. Convenience
IG- 33
30. Silverstone
31. My Girl
IG- Sick
32. Date
33. Austria
IG- Birthday
34. 26
35. France
IG- Hot
36. Girlfriend
37. Liar
38. Sunday
39. Ignored
40. Hungary
IG- Santorini
41. Holiday Mode
IG - A While
42. Spiralling
IG - Summertime
43. Jet lag / LA
IG - Spa
45. The Gala
46. Raise a Toast
IG- Holland
47. The Water Bottle
48. Understanding
49. Bad Idea
IG- Como
50. Fast
IG- Monza
51. All Good
52. Three
53. Champagne
IG - 2022/2023
IG -2024
DR1. Monza
DR2. Australia
DR3. You + Me = 3
BONUS CHAPTER: What Happens in Vegas

8. Australia

15.3K 360 61
By rudimentals

Make sure to comment and vote! And as always thank you so much for reading!
Hope you enjoy this super long chapter ❤️

As expected the jet lag kicked my ass. I'm adjusting, but slowly. I attempted the gym with Lando yesterday morning, but as soon as I got back to the room I crashed, my body confused by the bright sunshine outside when it was only 2am at home.
After that I struggled to stay up very long, spending the day snoozing until dinner time when I ate then, because of the darkness outside, went back to sleep. I have no idea how Lando can even function nevermind be in control of a car at 200kmh after going through this.

I'm currently dozing the afternoon away, my eyes closed as I lay on the bed the sun streaming in through the window. There's a gentle breeze running through the room, the cool air keeping me the perfect temperature. Even with my attempt to sleep at a 'normal' time last night I couldn't help but toss and turn meaning that I'm still tired today. I'm vaguely aware of a buzzing, my phone but I can't bring myself to reach for it. It's on the other side of the bed and picking it up requires an amount of effort I simply don't have right now. A happy sigh leaves my lips when the buzzing stops, my happiness short lived when the buzzing quickly resumes.

I tap around the side of the bed reaching for my phone, when I feel the cool screen in my fingers I peak an eye open and slide my finger across the screen placing the call on speaker.

"Hello?" My voice is a little hoarse, I'm trying my best not to sound annoyed.

"Amber Norris." My name is said at the other sound of the phone, a thick Australian accent hitting me. I blink myself awake a little more, trying to fight the wave of tiredness hitting me. His accent has most definitely gotten more Australian since last time I heard him.

"Danny Ric." I mumble, my voice quiet. There's a laugh at the other side of the phone, it's infectious and it reminds me that I've missed the sound over the last two weeks. I don't think I'd realised that until now.

"You've not called me that before." He says through quiet laughs. It's the version of his name I've heard thrown around most lately.

"I've never been this tired before." I hum with a slight grunt, shifting in my bed. Today has went a little better than yesterday, I should probably head outside to get the sun on my skin and fresh air inside of me but I can't fully bring myself. "You have a long name." I complain, fighting a yawn. Daniel chuckles thinking I'm joking. I'm not.

"How would you feel about opening the door to your room?" Daniel asks and I groan.

"Not great." My words are still a little croaky because of my voice boxes lack of use over the last two days.

"Well that's too bad." Daniel says and a knock echoes through the hotel room. I pull the phone from my ear my eyebrows furrowed before groaning and lifting my head from the pillow. "Surprise." Daniel's voice is soft through the speaker of the phone.

I mumble curses to myself as another set of knocks echo through the room. I fight through the sheets of the bed  at the repeated sound, trying my best to sort out my clothes - which currently only consist of a very oversized tee which reaches my knees - and tame my hair as I take the four steps from the bottom of the bed to the door.

"Howdy!" Daniel grins, a small grin on his face when I open the door. I blink at him slowly sleep still in my eyes, a small smile on my lips as he raises a bunch of flowers to my chest. I take them, thanking him and wave him inside. They're beautiful orange (or should I say papaya before Lando tells me off again) Tulips, freshly wrapped in brown paper. I have no idea how I'll keep them alive in the hotel room but the unexpected and unnecessary gift has me pink in the cheeks. "I didn't think you were here for a moment." Daniel says brushing past me his hip brushing against mine, his arm against my shoulder.

I can't help the way my face is lighting up.

I place the flowers down on the bed and scrap around my suitcase to at least find some joggers to cover my lower half more than my underwear currently is. I'd be humiliated if I didn't know Daniel had seen every part of me before.

"Yeah," I huff, reaching for the grey sweats in my suitcase which was left flung open at the bottom of my bed. Things are strewn out across the floor, I kick a bra out of Daniel's view. "The jet lag has been ruining my life." I explain pulling the pants up my legs as Daniel very skilfully averts his eyes.  "I haven't heard from you for weeks."

"Sorry about that." He says quickly, like he expected to have to say it. "I was busy." I hum softly at his words, scraping a hand through my hair and cringing at how it feels. I haven't washed it before our flight on Tuesday it's now...Friday evening (I think) and it feels disgusting, especially after being on the plane that long.

The thing is, from what I heard, Daniel had been very busy with his newer friend than me before coming here, so no wonder he didn't have time to think about me. I scold the snarky voice in my head. I had no right to be so irritating (or jealous), Daniel and I are friends, new ones at that, and he owes me absolutely nothing. Least of all updates on his sex life.

"Well I'm looking forward to the race!" I do my best to sound enthusiastic and change the subject as I pull myself together. There's sleep in my left eye and I'm sure my hair is just flying all over the place. In my brief time awake here Daniel's face was the only thing I've seen on the news. They adore him here, not that I can blame anyone for that.

"Looks like it." Daniel says, an edge in his voice which makes me pause in my place. "You missed practice." He says accusingly, and I nod my head. Can he not see I haven't been coping well? "You've not missed practice all season." It's like he's been taking notes on my attendance.

"All season is two races." I point out, rubbing at my eye again, fighting a yawn. I hold up a single finger so he knows it's my first point. "Also, I've been fighting for my life." Another finger is raised and Daniel laughs at my complaint. I'm not entirely sure he actually finds it funny, it doesn't reach his eyes.

He and Lando seem to be taking this better than me, I suppose it's not helping that I've been sat in my room whilst they've had things to get on with. I suppose they've also got more practice with these things than me too.

"It's not that bad." Daniel says as I flop back into a seated position on the bed glaring at him. "I'm just glad you're here, I thought you ditched me." I place a hand to my chest in hurt as Daniel places himself on the other side of the bed, in the same spot he was three weeks ago. I wouldn't start saying I'm here for the season then ditch after 2 races.

Daniel fills me in about practice, apparently nothing too exciting happened but he was very excited to be back at his home race. The fans had really shown up for him here in waves of the signature McLaren orange. His whole family had made the journey to Melbourne to support him and he was just buzzing with excitement. "I'm going to dinner tonight with my family, I actually came down here to invite you." He says his fingers touching the petals of the flowers he brought me which are still on the bed. Maybe if I rang down to reception and requested a vase..."And bring these."

"Daniel," I say softly, feeling touched to be classed important enough to attend a dinner with his friends and family he rarely gets to see.

"Lando's coming with a couple of guys from the team, and Michael too, so you won't be completely overrun by strangers." Daniel says quickly, as if he's scared I'm going to reject his kind offer. I think he's mistook my pause for uncertainty.

"I'd love to join, as long as you're sure." Daniel grins at my answer, looking relieved that I haven't ditched him in this aswell as practice. Getting out of this room before qualifying tomorrow will be good for me.

Daniel tells me everyone is meeting downstairs at 6.20, his family meeting us at the restaurant which is a small drive away. My eyes almost fall out from the plans. With a gasp I reach for the hairbrush on the table, immediately dragging it through my mid length brown hair in preparation for washing it. It's almost five now. Just over an hour to get ready will be a rush. I huff that Daniel should've told me about this before now and he points out that unlike me he's been very busy today. At this point I push him out of the room, instructing him to text me when he's heading downstairs so I'm not embarrassingly late.

I play some music on my phone, shoving the charger into it as I jump in the shower to wash my whole body with watermelon scented gel I'd packed. I slather enough conditioner on my hair to keep it smooth for weeks and scrub any trace of sleep from my eyes. When I hop out I waste no time combing and drying my hair into soft waves. The way it should have been looking two hours ago.

I feel panicked when I look at the clock. It's 5:57 and I have exactly 23 minutes to head downstairs. When trawling through my suitcase my stress only heightens when I look at my outfit options. I always pack for every occasion on these trips, you never know where you'll end up after a race. To save myself time and any further stress I text Daniel 'Dress code?'. He reads the message immediately, replying 'smart casual - no stress.' Which is about as much help to me as I am to him around the race track.

After various try-ons I settle on some jeans, a black bodysuit vest and a blazer. It was casual enough whilst still being smart and appropriate for meeting family members. It's after pulling my converse on and grabbing the small bag I'd somehow prepared in the chaos of it all that I make my way towards the door.

-

The restaurant is beautiful. It has sleek black marble floors, floor to ceiling glass window panes and the seats are some of the most comfortable I've ever sat in. It's dark by the time we get here but there's a gorgeous terrace section with plants and gentle lights.  I'd love to see it as the sun goes down, or even in the early morning sun. I take note of the restaurants location incase I have some time free to visit myself.

Daniel is sat to my right, at the head of the long table and and Lando is to my left. He's already chatting away with Michael, Michelle (Daniel's sister), and his dad, Joe, having already met them a few times across races it was easy for him to slip into conversation.

"What's everyone having to drink?" Daniel asks, eventually opening the drinks menu which was placed in front of him. He'd spent the first five minutes after our arrival greeting everyone and introducing me, the new face, to those around the table I hadn't already met.

"You like red wine right? It's not on the list of alcohol's you hate?"Daniel turns to me to ask. My cheeks heat at the reference to the first time we met. He keeps checking on me tonight, I think he's scared I'm going to be overwhelmed by all the unfamiliar faces around me and run away.

"I love it!" I say with a grin, it's the one drink I enjoy which makes me feel like a sophisticated adult.

"I knew I liked you." Daniel's mum Grace hums, looking at me with warm eyes that only a mum seems to have. She's sat directly across from me, to the other side of Daniel. "I'll let you choose of course." She says waving at Daniel who grins proudly at her words. I'm slightly confused by it all but go along with it anyway. Her and Daniel are so clearly close despite his busy schedule. "So what do you do Amber?" Grace asks me.

"Oh mum," Daniel says, his voice a little warning as he shakes his head softly obviously already knowing my work situation.

"It's alright." I say to Daniel, my hand brushing against his warm arm as I shift in my spot a little. It was an accidental touch, I swear. "I used to work as an Executive Assistant, my degree was in business and management." I explain to Grace, it's a complete 180 from what Lando and Daniel do. "There was an issue with the company I was at and they fired me." I explain with an eye roll. Daniel has ordered the wine for us as the conversation between myself and his mum continued. I don't miss the way he's eyeing me with caution, as though I might burst into tears recounting my career woes. I won't, I don't think, I'm over it.

Maybe.

"I'm sorry." Grace says, the familiar pitiful look in her eye at my words.

"No, it's okay." I reassure her, a small smile on my face. It's a face I'm getting used to pulling. "It means I'm here and get to see all these places." I gesture around us, his mum is still listening to me intently.

"What she really means is she gets to spend time with me." Daniel grins, the tension on our side of the table quickly dissipating with his words.

"Yes, exactly." I reply dryly to Daniel, smiling at him. "I also think I want to try something different too, I've been looking into advertising, or marketing."

"She's also been helping out with our sisters business." Lando pipes up and I blink at him slowly, I didn't even know he was listening. I don't know if it would be classed as helping out, I checked Flo's business plan and made sure her projected accounts added up. It was nothing really. Everyone being so interested in my business is making my cheeks heat. I didn't even realise Lando knew I'd done that.

"Oh you have a sister?" Grace has a warm smile on her face. I think she reminds me of my own mum with her kind eyes and polite questions.

"Yeah Flo, and a more sensible older brother Oliver."

"She means boring." Lando butts in and I swat his shoulder.

"He's not boring." I counter, looking between Daniel and his Mum who are watching us with entertained eyes. Out of us all Oliver and Lando are closest, it's because of Ollie that Lando even started racing in the first place. So I know his insult isn't genuine, but I still feel the need to scold him. Oliver isn't boring, he's just settled - he has a family now.

Our drinks arrive, and there's a buzz around the table as people receive their drinks. I'm glad for the topic change, I don't entirely love being the centre of attention. The wine is delicious, fruity and not too heavy, a Rioja if I caught the writing on the bottle correctly. Daniel chats with his mum about the race tomorrow, I listen intently to their conversation, enjoying daniels excitement about his home race. The crowds have already been insane and I know they were only expected to get bigger tomorrow and Sunday. His mum is so proud, you can see it in her smile which is almost as infectious as Daniel's.

"Have you been to Australia before Amber?" Grace asks and I nod my head swallowing the final mouthful of my food. Much like everything about this place, it was glorious.

"Only once, for Lando's first race." I explain, gesturing towards my brother. "It was a very fast trip though, similar to this one." I say with a small eye roll. I love travelling to all these places and I would never complain but sometimes it would be nicer to have a few days extra in one place. I'd love to explore a little. Especially when my body clock is as battered and bruised as it currently is.

Daniel looks at me, his eyes all concerned. "When are you leaving?" He looks worried for the answer, he clearly thought we'd be spending more time here than we are.

"Tuesday...I think. You're not?" Daniel shakes his head, as if I've just said the most insane thing he's ever heard.

"No!" I can only shrug, surely he realises how little control I have over this? "I'm staying for another week." He says slowly, looking confused by myself and Lando's plans. I suppose it makes sense for him to stay here longer. It's his home. I don't decide anything, I just show up with a packed suitcase when and where I'm told.

"I'm going on holiday with Luis. I need to be back." Lando explains, once again dipping into the conversation. I don't know if she would see it as a holiday seeing as he's going to visit her in her home in Portugal, but I don't point this out. It would only make everything more confusing.

"That doesn't mean you have to go." Daniel says simply, I roll my eyes at him a quiet 'yeah, sure' leaving my lips. I think it does I'm not staying here on my own. "You should stay." I fight the scoff that's in my throat at Daniel's suggestion.

"I'm not staying in Australia on my own, are you insane?" For one I have no idea where I am and I have nowhere to stay. My flight is already booked.

"I drive cars at 300 kilometres an hour of course I'm a little insane." Daniel is sarcastic in his words and it makes Lando and his mum laugh to themselves. "You wouldn't be alone, I'm here. You said yourself the jet lag is killing you. Why make your trip so short after struggling?" This is the one thing that sways me, it's always worse going back home. The thought of going through this again makes my stomach churn.

Then Daniel is looking at me with that bright dazzling smile of his that makes his eyes light up. It's daring and sweet at the same time and it makes me want to do whatever he says.

I look to Lando who shrugs at the suggestion. Is he not even going to question it? What happened to his overprotective 'Daniel is after something' attitude which was in play on Tuesday? "You don't have any plans." He points out with another shrug as if to say 'it's up to you'. Seriously?!

"No, I couldn't." I say with a shake of my head, unable to look at Daniel. If I do I know he'd be giving me pleading looks with his big brown eyes and I don't think I'd be able to say no. "You barely get to see your family, I'm not getting in the way of that."

"Honey, he's been here for ten days already and he's driving Michelle insane. All he does is get those kids riled up. If he's got you to take care of, you'd be saving us." Grace says and there's an echo of 'that's true' from Michelle and 'thanks Mum' from Daniel. He's obviously not so flattered by the comment, it does make me laugh though.

Surely nobody could be that tired of Daniel. I'm not sure I could.

"What my lovely Mother meant, is that you don't have to worry about that." He says with a quick narrowing of his eyes in his sisters direction. The action makes me think of myself and Lando's relationship. "I'd love it if you stayed." Daniel says, his voice sincere. It's now that I make the mistake of actually look at him. His face is all serious, eyes big and soft and it makes my stomach swirl and body warm in a way it definitely shouldn't.

"Only if you're sure." I concede, my voice unsure.

"I'm never sure about anything with you Ambs." I take a deep breath at the shortening of my name, I don't think I've ever heard it from him before and it's knocked something in me.

"That's probably the right decision." Lando chimes in and I elbow him quickly for the comment, a prepared 'oops' leaving my lips as he groans from the contact. Daniel only smirks at me, and I find myself grinning back at him.

I love it when he looks at me like that.

———
Ugh! I love them sm, are we excited for them to be alone?! Lemme tell you it's gonna get 🌶 (or will it 🤪)

Happy quaili

More soon
x❤️x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.3K 496 21
Tamera Ricciardo has all she's ever wanted. She's a lawyer, she loves her son, Leo, she's an influencer and more. There's just two things she doesn't...
22K 640 17
When Matilde Schumacher joined the Red Bull team as a reserve driver in 2022, the racing world was shocked. Mick had only ever expressed interest in...
255K 4.5K 49
Speed and Secrets Book #2 ˏˋ°‒*β€βž· Olivia Sainz never thought that visiting her brother during some races will change her life. Lando Norris, an F1 d...
500K 5.6K 110
"Sometimes, love isn't enough" In a world where love traingles, toxic relationships and drama can't seem to leave her alone. Warning: some chapters...