A Thief and a Queen

By MackenzieWinner

A collection of my OQ one shots, mostly from OQ Week on tumblr. More

Masquerade
Caught
Forgotten
Assassin
Hades
Archery
Hope
Just Once
Convincing
Snowball Fight (Missing Year Trilogy #1)
On the Balcony (Missing Year Trilogy 2)
Fever (Missing Year Trilogy #3)
Bath Time
Happy Ending
Pain Management
Comfort Food
A Purrfect Beginning
True Love
Family Matters
Lost Souls
The Nanny
Welcome Home
Teach Me
The Tattoo
Dad Quest (Part I)
Dad Quest (Part II)
The Ball
The Dinner Date
The Marriage Test (Part I)
The Marriage Test (Part II)
The Marriage Test (Part III)
What Child is This?
Not Just Another Day
An Education in Love (Part I)
An Education in Love (Part II)
Promposal
A Valentine's Day Surprise
What a Soulmate Feels Like
Lost in a Book
Abducted
Vacation Buddies
Muse
The Professor and the Bar Owner
Better When I'm Dancing: Injury
The Queen and Her Pet
Regina's New Problem
Skeletons Are Supposed to Be in the Closet
The Mausoleum
Breaking the Curse
Soulmates
Make Me Whole Again
Pixie Dust Doesn't Lie
Page 23
Comforting Regina
Second Chances
The Queen in the Attic
The Fire
The Hospital
Under the Sea
Sharing is Caring
A Special Connection
Baking Bread
Breaking Free
The Last Lifetime
Shooting Star
Finding Robin
The Tournament
Truth Revealed
To Be With You
Flu Season
Rain
Problem
Self-Care
Costume Contest
A Late Dinner and a Conversation

Retirement

1.1K 45 3
By MackenzieWinner

For LoveOutlawQueen, who asked for a sequel to my "Assassin" piece.

The life of an assassin wasn't an easy one. Especially when one was also a ghost. It was a lonely existence, unable to forge many last relationships. Being an assassin would put any friends and family in danger from those who sought justice, either on behalf of a victim or on behalf on his Majesty. And as a ghost, it was too chancy to let anyone know she wasn't dead. It could cost more than her life.

Yet Regina also found the life of a ghostly assassin a free one. She came and went as she pleased. She wore the breeches and shirts she had preferred as a young girl rather than the elaborate dresses her station required her to wear. There were no guards and servants watching her every move, reporting back to her husband. She didn't have to smile, laugh, flirt or impress anybody, pretending to be a happy queen, wife and stepmother when all she wanted was to burn the palace to the ground. Most of all, she was free from the fear of the old king coming to her and demanding she perform her wifely duties.

She did have some companions. There was Jerry, the beautiful stallion given to her by a peasant woman who had wanted her drunken, abusive husband dead. Regina had done with without expectation of payment but the woman insisted. Jerry helped her perform jobs faster and proved to be an excellent listener.

There was also a man who hunted in the woods near her cabin. While they had never spoken, he often left meat by her door. In return, she would leave him some gold coins. It was a business relationship but still it was some form of human contact. She didn't know his name and only called him "Huntsman."

Then there was Robin, the only person who knew her true identity. She didn't know what to call their relationship. He wasn't her benefactor—she never took money from him. While she often shared his bed, the term lover seemed inadequate for what else they had. So the best she could do was call him a friend, though even that seemed hollowed. He let her eat his food (and she noticed she always left Locksley with food hidden in her sack) and use his private bath.

Like now. She had just returned from a long mission—her latest target tended to move around a lot. It had taken her a month to track him down. But once she found him in a tavern, it had been easy to kill him. She gave the man who had hired her his proof of death, he paid her and she rode straight for Locksley. After six weeks of no contact, she knew Robin would be worried.

As the warm water soothed her body, she let her mind wander as she decided to take Robin to bed that night. It had been too long since she last felt his caresses and his lips on every inch of her body. Too long since she last raked her nails across his back drew her name like a prayer from his lips.

The thoughts stirred feelings deep within her, feelings better tended to in bed than the bath. She pushed herself from the water, wrapping a towel around her body.

She smiled as she heard Robin's voice, glad she wouldn't have to wait much longer to give into the feelings growing stronger with each passing moment. Until another voice—a woman's—stilled the hand she had wrapped around the doorknob. She had only opened it a crack, letting her see into Robin's private parlor.

Robin escorted a beautiful woman into his rooms. She appeared to be about Regina's age—maybe younger—with blonde hair that was done up in an elaborate hairdo comprised of braids, curls and ribbons. Her fine silk gowns showed she was at least a noblewoman, like Robin, or at most royalty, like Regina had been. She had pale white skin and big blue eyes, which she batted as she laughed at something Robin said.

His eyes sparkled as he smiled, handing her a glass of wine. They tapped their glasses together before drinking. Regina watched as the noblewoman put her glass down to whisper something in Robin's ear.

Closing the door, Regina rushed to grab her clothes. She wasn't going to stay to see Robin court another woman. He deserved privacy for that.

Regina wasn't needed anymore.

*****

She returned to her cabin in the middle of the woods—the one Robin had given her when she took up his title of assassin. It was simple place to live, having only one room that served as her bedroom, parlor and kitchen. It wasn't much but it was enough for her. She only slept and ate here when she wasn't at Robin's. Which was now going to be more often.

Regina pulled out a bottle of scotch she kept stored under a loose floorboard with other things she deemed valuable. She laid on her bed and drank straight from the bottle. There was no need for glasses—who was she trying to impress? The furniture? The squirrel sleeping in the corner of her house, acorn tops scattered about it? No, there was no one there to watch her unladylike behavior.

As she took another pull of the scotch, she chuckled at the image of her mother's horrified face should she see her drinking like this. But her mother was far away, which was a good thing. Regina didn't need to hear Cora's evaluation of her life, knowing full well what it had become. She was an assassin who was supposedly dead, preventing her from ever having a meaningful relationship again. She had exchanged a crown and a palace for a hood and a cabin. Exchanged a marriage to a king to warm the bed of a nobleman who had once been hired to kill her.

No, she mused after several more sips, she was more than a bed warmer to Robin. He had to consider her a friend. Why else would he put up with her comings and goings? Demand to know she made it back safe from missions? Clean up her wounds from the wounds that get messy? He could've killed her, like the king had wanted, but he hadn't. And it wasn't out of pity, like she had first told herself. It was out of respect. Robin realized she was just as broken as he was.

Or maybe she had been a fool all along, Regina thought as she stared at her half-drunk bottle of scotch. Maybe she wasn't as harden to love as she thought she had become after Daniel's death. Maybe she was still the soft girl her mother used to tie up—the girl who believed people could actually want to be with her because they liked her, not because they wanted something from her. Foolish girl, she heard Cora say. It was like she was in the cabin.

Cora was wrong. Robin did care for her, Regina decided after consuming more scotch. Deep down, though, she knew this day would come. He was a nobleman again and he needed to have an heir to carry on the title. Meaning he would need to find a woman he could marry. Regina certainly couldn't be that woman.

Did it mean that their relationship had to end? Yes, they weren't going to sleep together anymore. But did it mean he wouldn't want to see her either? To talk to her? To let her visit? Or was it better to cut off all contact? For him, for his new wife...and for Regina's heart?

The scotch bottle was empty. Regina had somehow ended up on the floor, limbs akimbo as she stared at the ceiling, contemplating her life. Maybe it was time to make some changes. To find a way to start really living again.

One more mission, she decided. She usually gave away the money she earned for her kills to the people who needed it the most—just like Robin before her. But if she asked for enough and combined it with what she had gotten for her last kill...Regina's fuzzy mind did the math and she determined she'd have enough to book passage on a ship out of Misthaven. She knew the only way to live again was to go someplace where they didn't know what the late Queen Regina looked like. She could go, get a house and re-enter society.

*****

Pounding woke her up the next day. And it wasn't just in her head.

She sat up as her door rattled off its hinges. Maybe she could just wait for whoever it was to go away. Then she could sink back into oblivion, where her so-called life wasn't falling apart.

But maybe it was Robin, coming to check on her. He was going to break her door (again) and demand to know if she was hurt in any way. Then he was going to lay into her for not checking in and letting him worry. Her lips curled at the thought.

Then the memory of the night before crashed over her. Robin wining and dining the pretty blonde. The two smiling at each other. It made her sick.

Or maybe that was the scotch.

Her door was knocked open, but not by Robin. Standing in front of her was the young huntsman who supplied her with meat. He swept the cabin before checking Regina. "Are you hurt?"

"No," Regina said. "Just drunk."

The Huntsman sighed. "I was worried. I hadn't seen you for a while and last night, it looked like you were stumbling."

"You were watching me? Why?"

"I don't know. I guess I consider you the closest thing to a friend." He shrugged. "I don't get out of the woods much. Not fond of human interaction."

Regina smirked. "I guess we're kindred spirits then."

"So is there anything I can do for you?"

"Yes. Can you get me some cold water from the kill? I think it might help sober me up some." Regina rubbed her face.

The Huntsman stood. "Of course. I'll be right back."

Once he left, Regina magicked herself a clean set of clothes. She was glad she had managed to get a bath in at Robin's before discovering...No, she was not going there. She wasn't sober enough to control her emotions in front of the Huntsman. She still had her pride.

"Here you go." The Huntsman returned with a bucket of cold water. "Is there anything else I can do?"

"Yes. Hold my hair back," she said, kneeling in front of the bucket.

After a few seconds, she felt him take her long dark hair in his gloved hands. With a deep breath, she dunked her head into the bucket. The cold water stabbed at her face but she kept it there until her lungs burned for hair.

When she sat back up, the Huntsman released her hair. "Feel better?" he asked.

"A bit," she said, sitting on her heels.

The Huntsman shifted from foot to foot. "Anything else?"

"Hmm." Regina leaned back on the floor, studying him. "Have you ever considered a career as an assassin?"

*****

She spent the next week training the Hunstman to take over for her. They went on her next mission together, Regina planning to hand over her job to him afterwards. She was also giving him her cabin as she would be heading straight to the docks to leave Misthaven for good.

Before she left, she stopped at the house belonging to the woman who had given her Jerry. She seemed surprised to see The Ghost standing on her doorstep unbidden, but let Regina in anyway. "Is...Is something wrong?" she asked, nervous.

Regina shook her head. "I just wanted to tell you I was leaving. There's a new assassin and he's promised to look after you for me."

"Oh. Thank you."

"I also wanted to ask if you'll do me a favor." Regina pulled out a sealed letter and held it out to the woman. "Can you post this for me? I can't risk sending it myself."

The woman took the letter and nodded. "I'll post it next time I'm in town. Promise. You stay safe."

"I promise. Thank you."

"Godspeed, Ghost."

*****

Regina made it to the small harbor town before night fall the next day. She arranged for passage on the next ship leaving Misthaven but was dismayed to learn she'd have to wait a few days. "Powerful storm is moving in. It'd be too dangerous to launch a ship in that type of weather," the captain told her.

He pointed her to a nearby inn where she could find a room. "It's a reputable establishment and you won't have to worry about any unwanted visitors other unaccompanied women might have," he said.

So she rented a room and waited out the storm. On her second night, she put on her breeches and cloak in order to go to the tavern. Dressed like that, she was mistaken for a man and was able to drink her ale in peace. As she stared into the amber liquid, she heard the door slam open and the howling wind the storm brought with it chilled the establishment. It was silenced just as quickly, though the chill remained. Regina didn't bother to look up—people were coming into the tavern all night to escape the storm. As long as they left her alone, she was fine.

The chair across from her scraped against the stone floor as it was pulled out from the table. Someone sat down there and before she could look up, a tattered letter was shoved into her line of sight. "Care to explain this?" Robin's familiar voice asked.

Regina looked up at him. His blond hair was wet from the rain and his blue eyes dark with anger. Before she could respond, he continued on. "You were gone for weeks and didn't bother to check in. Then I get this letter saying you're leaving? I don't even warrant a goodbye in person?"

"I thought this would be easier."

"Easier? Why?"

"A clean break. I could disappear and you could go on with your wife." She nearly choked on the last word.

Robin looked confused. "My what?"

"I saw you. Laughing over a glass of wine with that pretty little blonde thing. She'll be a perfect lady for your lands."

"I still don't..." Realization dawned on him. "Oh. Oh! You were there?"

Regina nodded. "I was going to surprise you in the bedroom when you surprised me instead."

"Regina..." Robin's voice was soft and she saw his fingers twitch, as if he wanted to reach out and hold her hand. She wanted the same thing but not now. It was too dangerous.

"You don't have to explain, Robin. I get it. You need a wife and an heir. I need to go start someplace where no one will know I'm supposed to be dead."

Robin shook his head. "No, Regina. I'm not married. I'm not even planning on getting married. We were just sealing a business deal, nothing more happened after supper."

"Really? You two looked pretty intimate to me."

"You're the only woman who has shared my bed since I returned to Locksley. Honest." He gave in and took her hand. "Can we talk about this? Please?"

Regina melted under his earnest gaze. She nodded. "Not here though. Too many people. I have a room at the inn across the street. We can talk there. You'll just have to sneak in. I don't think the innkeeper will be happy that I'm bringing in a man."

*****

Robin was waiting in her room before she got there. He smiled at her surprised look. "I remind you I was the best assassin around. Scaling a building is nothing for me."

"Of course." Regina stared at him before rushing into his arms. She crashed her lips onto his and he responded in kind, holding her close. Pulling back a bit, she glanced up at him. "I think we should get out of these wet clothes. What do you say?"

"An excellent idea, milady." Robin undid her cloak before going for the laces on her vest. Her own fingers began to undo his clothing as they resumed kissing.

*****

Their clothing was laid out by the fire, drying, as they laid entwined in bed. Regina rested her head against his chest as he toyed with her hair. He kissed her head. "Where are you going?"

"Arendelle. It had very little business with Leopold, so I don't think anyone will recognize me as his dead queen." Regina lifted her head to look at him. "Why?"

"How long did they say the voyage will take?"

"About a week." She frowned. "You still haven't told me why you want to know."

Robin kissed her forehead. "If I return to Locksley, I can have everything settled and a new lord named within a week. We could be reunited in under a month."

Clutching the blankets to her chest, Regina sat up. "What are you talking about? You've worked hard to get Locksley back."

He chuckled. "I pretended to kill you and technically extorted the king. That doesn't fit my definition of working hard."

"You know what I mean. I can't ask you to give all that up. I won't ask you."

"I know." Robin sat up, cupping her cheek. He rubbed his thumb across her skin. "I want to. I'm not going to lose you."

Tears pricked Regina's eyes. No one had ever sacrificed for her. She had always had to sacrifice for others—her mother, Leopold, Snow. Still, she shook her head. "That's too much."

"Maybe. But do we have any other choice?" Robin rested his forehead against hers.

Her lips curled into a smile. "You know, you once offered me a compromise that helped both of us. I think I can offer another one of those compromises now."

"Do tell, milady. I am all ears."

*****

After his week away, the people of Locksley were surprised when their lord returned with a new bride. Her name was Marian and she hailed from distant shores—some island country whose name no one could pronounce. They all jockeyed for a good spot to see the lady as she rode next to Robin into her new home.

She had a darker complexion than people were used to and it enhanced her beauty. Her long black hair fell in curls to about her mid-back. The women were surprised she left it down despite being married but waved it off as a custom from her land. Dark brown eyes swept the crowd, smiling at those who came to see her. As Robin helped her from her mount, a cheer went up through the crowd. They were accepting her as their lady.

The servants threw together a proper supper to welcome her and people packed the Great Hall. Marian was a natural hostess and entertained her guests well. Everyone who saw her and Robin left speaking of the great love that filled their every gaze and every touch. "Makes me believe in love at first sight," one woman said to another.

As the night wore on, Robin excused himself and his bride. The guests who were still there applauded and some let out whoops and hollers. Robin gave them cheeky smiles while Marian lowered her eyes, a blush rising to her cheeks.

Once up in their rooms, Marian's dark skin gave way to olive skin. She shrank a few inches but her eyes and hair remained the same. Regina stood in front of her husband, smiling. "I think it worked."

"Of course it worked." Robin wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her close. "It was your plan and you are brilliant."

"Flattery will get you everywhere, good sir."

"Like bed?" He wiggled his eyebrows in a suggestive manner.

Regina laughed. "I think that would be the perfect place."

He picked her up, carrying her to bed. As he hovered over her, he smiled. "Here's to the first of many nights together, Lady Locksley."

*****

Almost ten months later, a midwife was sworn to secrecy as she was ushered into Lord Locksley's room. She was surprised to find a woman quite different than the one she had been seeing to the past few months lying in bed, gritting her teeth in the pain of labor. But it was not her place to ask questions, so she went to work.

Trying to get Robin to leave proved futile. He stayed by his wife's side, even as Regina's labor continued long into the night. She held Robin's hand, crushing it with every wave of pain that washed over her. He still managed to wipe her brow with a cool rag at the same time while whispering reassuring sentiments to her.

The sun began to rise as the first cries echoed through the chambers. "It's a boy!" the midwife shouted.

Robin beamed, kissing Regina's forehead. "You hear that? We have a son, milady."

"I'd celebrate but it still hurts." She glanced over at the midwife. "Is it supposed to hurt even after the baby is out?"

The midwife checked, frowning. "There's another one. You're going to have to push again, Your Ladyship."

"Another?" Regina gasped out. "I don't think I can."

Robin kissed her forehead again. "You can do it. Just a few more pushes."

"Easy for you to say. You're not the one pushing." But Regina did as she was instructed, pushing as hard as she could until another set of cries were heard.

"It's another boy!" The midwife held the mewling infant up for his parents to see. "Congratulations."

Once the two boys were cleaned up, they were presented to their parents. Robin took one while Regina held the other close. She laughed, looking up at her husband. "You don't do anything half-assed, do you?"

He chuckled. "I think you played some part in this as well, milady."

Regina beamed, rocking the baby in her arms. "We do need to name them, Robin."

"I know," he said. "Any ideas?"

"What if we named them after our fathers?"

Robin frowned. "Do you think that's wise? That it won't tip anyone off?"

"Robin, my father had a very common name. No one is going to think twice about it." She shook her head. "I'm supposed to be the paranoid one in this relationship, remember?"

He chuckled before glancing down at the sleeping baby boy in his arms. "Hello, Roland," he whispered.

Robin then gazed down at the boy in Regina's arms, whose bright blue eyes were taking everything in. Regina knew his eyes, like his brother's, would darken to take after hers but she found herself wishing this boy's eyes would stay blue, for him to have his father's eyes. She watched Robin crouch down to be eye level with his other son. "And hello, Henry."

Henry yawned in response as his father slid Roland into Regina's arms. She held both her boys close, smiling so hard she thought her face was going to shatter. Robin kissed her forehead as she whispered: "Everything is perfect."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

213K 4.3K 13
Here are a collection of my hetalia reader insert oneshots. Will add more as time goes on.
39.7K 1.2K 33
An alternate universe story inspired by Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander." On a much needed vacation to England with her husband Daniel, Regina...
21.4K 568 21
Regina Mills is focused on bringing her best friend back from the darkness after she sacrificed herself for her happy ending. Preoccupied by this tas...
424K 7.2K 200
This is a book where its once characters and you.