Contrasting Similarities

Av CarterIsabelle

How can people be so similar yet so different? How can situations be strange yet so familiar? Twins Amira and... Mer

A/N
1. The Shield.
2. Unfair
3. Dex
4. Levi
5. Guard Dog
6. Rules
7. Arguing.
8. Walk away.
9. A chance
10. Father
11. Superdad
12. Decision
13. Revelations
14. Muffin
15. Bruise
16. Apologies and Decisions
18. Scars
19. Picnic
20. Loving Gestures and Similarities
21. Paperweights and Answers
22. Therapist
23. Zoning out
24. The naughty step.
25. Stinky Butt
26. Yes or No
27. Ski-what?
28. Lil chef
29. Boo
30. Voice
31. Embarrassed again
32. Movies and Tickles
33. Jayden effect
34. Lucian and Ballet
35. Scary Asher
36. Awkward hugs
37. Verlice
38. Raising the walls back up
39. The frozen heart.
40. Translucent
41. I love you
42. Apologies and Permission
43. Muffin is back
44. Aurora or Rose?
45. Catching up.
46. Long way to go
Important!
47. Bunny Junior
48. Jerk
49. Confiscated
50. Let go of the fear
51. Not my father figure
52. Hurt
53. Miss you more.
54. Back there
55. Arguments
56. Date
57. Regression
58. Heart to Heart
59. Opening up.
60. Hate him too.
61. This storm will pass too.
62. It'll all end here.
63. Save her.
64. Stole his heart
65. Home
66. Bunny
Sequel!

17. Heartbeat

8.6K 344 99
Av CarterIsabelle

My legs gave out, as I fell backwards to the floor.

My eyes clenched shut and I backed away until my back hit the wall. Pulling my knees to my chest, I curled up, my elbows resting on my knees on both sides of my face.

Sobs won't stop escaping my mouth, no matter how much I tried.

Everything got ruined. Everything was taken away.

'Rose will leave too.'

A particularly loud sob echoed in the hallway, along with the same voice muttering things I couldn't comprehend.

Maybe it was telling me to kill myself before I go through the pain of losing someone again.

I barely coped with Dad leaving, I can't deal with Rose leaving me now.

"Levi."

I flinched when I felt hands on my shoulders.

"No no..." I kept repeating in between sobs.

"Levi. Look up. I'm here."

"I don't know what to do!" They cried out after a long moment, during which I tried to back away and make myself invisible.

Another presence near me. I flinched and tried to back away into the wall.

I felt myself being shifted forward and someone sitting behind me, their legs on either side of mine.

'They will hurt you.'

My elbows were pushed away from my face. I kept my eyes clenched shut, while keeping my forehead against my knees.

'Let them hurt you. Maybe you will die in the process.'

I went limp, still keeping my eyes shut but distancing my knees from my chest.

An arm slid under my knees, shifting my feet to the other side of the person's leg.

My fists clenched, bunching the hem of my shirt in it.

"Ssh." My head was pulled by a hand on the side of my face. It rested on a hard surface. I could hear a heartbeat so close. "Calm down, Bunny."

Strong arms wrapped around me and a hand came to rub my back, sliding gently along my spine.

I held onto the forearm that was just before my face, tightly.

I was trembling violently, shaking with every sob that escaped my throat.

"Close your mouth and take a deep breath," Someone whispered in my ear, placing a kiss on my temple. I flinched but they didn't stop and proceeded to run their fingers through my hair.

"Do it, Bunny. It will help," The soothing voice muttered again.

I closed my mouth and took a deep shaky breath, which was interrupted by my own hiccups.

"Good. That's really good. Do it one more time for me."

I nodded slightly, relaxing my head onto the chest, counting the heartbeats in my mind.

I whimpered when they tightened their hold.

"You're doing so good, my love. Keep going."

'My love did so good on her test. I'm so proud of my little heart.'

"I can't," I choked out.

"Yes, you can."

I took a breath in again, feeling the energy drain from me.

I put my hand on the chest, beside my ear, feeling the heart thumping loudly inside.

'Can you feel my heartbeat? There's a big heart and two little hearts inside. They beat together. That's why it's so loud.'

My head lolled forward as I felt the energy drain from me.

"Open your eyes, sweetie. You're doing so good. I'm so proud of you," they said, wiping my tears from my cheek with the pads of their thumbs.

"I don't want to," I muttered, not quite comprehending anything that was going on.

"Why is that?" asked the same soothing voice again.

A tear fell from my eye when the scene replayed before my eyes.

"We're right here. Rose is waiting for you to open your eyes."

I turned my head, so my face was buried in the chest, before I turned it back to the side and opened my eyes slowly.

I blinked, to get used to the bright lights and to shed the unwanted tears.

"Good." The voice said from above me. I looked up and almost shrieked when I saw Asher so close to me.

But I caught myself and instead tried to register it was just him and not Lucas or anyone who will hurt us.

I turned my head and saw Rose sitting between his feet.

My teary eyes locked with hers, as she wiped her tears away quickly.

"You- You saw that, right?" I asked, pointing to the opposite wall. My voice came out timid and just above a whisper.

"What?" She asked, looking at me with confusion clear on her face.

"Dad," I said. Her eyes widened as she shook her head.

My lower lip trembled as tears fell from my eyes again.
"He looked so real," I muttered, weakly. "It all felt so real."

I sniffled again, causing Asher to tighten his hold and bring my head back to his chest. He held my hand, which was still resting on his heart and squeezed gently.

After a long time of crying, I just kept my head there and stared at nothing. My hand would've lowered to fall on my lap again, if it wasn't for Asher holding it against his chest.

He was moving back and forth gently, rocking both of us.

My other hand, which was on Asher's side was rested on the floor beside him and behind me, because I was sitting sideways to him. Someone had intertwined their fingers with it, while rubbing the back of it.

There was complete silence, except for the occasional sniffle I let out.

"Is she asleep?" Someone asked from behind me. The deep voice was gentle and calming.

Asher shook his head, never stopping the rocking.
"Go to sleep, bunny. Close your eyes," He said, softly.

For some reason, I didn't find it in me to part myself from him. Even after getting scared from how close he was. I was scared of the lack of this soothing warmth I'd feel.

I turned my head to see Rose still sitting there, looking at me with tears flowing down her face.

Lucian was sitting behind her, his back against the opposite wall. Jayden and Damien were sitting against the same wall but a few feet away from Lucian.

I turned my head to the opposite side, to look over my shoulder that was pressed against Asher's torso. Josiah was sitting beside Asher, my hand in his. He was lost in thought, just like the others.

"Everyone's here, baby. Go to sleep," Asher said, softly, running his fingers through my hair.

I closed my eyes and let out a sigh.

~Aurora Rose Mazzanti.~

Asher kept moving back and forth, for a long time.

"She's asleep," I said, quietly. Asher looked up at me and nodded. Raising his hand slowly and cautiously, he rubbed his eyes to get rid of the moisture.

"She was close to your stepfather?" Jayden muttered, quietly.

I nodded and moved aside when I felt Lucian approaching from behind me.

He crouched down beside her and stroked her cheek with his thumb softly.

She must be extremely exhausted or she would've woken up by that soft touch.

"Let me put her to bed," Lucian muttered, before sliding his arm under her knees and the other under her back.

He stood up slowly, when she was safely taken into his arms and her head was tucked into his neck.

I trudged behind him as he walked towards our room. Asher followed me, along with the others.

He handled it so well and I'm surprised how Levi didn't push him away.

Lucian laid her down gently on the bed. Before pulling the covers over her though, he stopped for a moment when she turned to lay on her side. His eyebrows furrowed as his eyes focussed on her before he tucked her in.

"Follow me outside, Rose," He said, when he stepped back and turned around. I tensed up and looked at him wide eyed.

When I didn't follow him, he turned around and raised an eyebrow.

I gulped and shuffled out of the room with him.

"What bad has happened for her to have hallucinations and panic attacks?" He asked, crossing his arms.

I fiddled with my thumbs behind my back and stammered for an answer.

"I don't know really. She doesn't talk about anything," I said, quickly, internally panicking when he raised an eyebrow.

"Stop lying to me, Aurora Rose," I jumped a little at the tone.

"It's not my place to tell, Lucian," I squeaked out.

He was silent for a moment.
"Hm. So something did happen."

"I don't know much." I shrugged. "She knows if something happened or not."

"It's confirmed something bad happened," He said. I looked up then looked back down, when I saw him staring back at me. "Did Lucas abuse her?"

I shrugged, staring at the floor.

How can I tell him something I have no place to tell?

"That's not a proper answer, Aurora," He said.

"I told you it's not my place to say anything. I don't know much. Levi knows everything and she will tell you if she trusts you enough. She didn't even tell me," I muttered, feeling sad inside.

She should've told me about it.

But when I knew, I did the foolishness of going to Lucas, thinking he's a kind human who took care of us for two years. Well, that's how he presented himself before me.

He sighed and stepped back.
"Tell her to meet me in my office after she wakes up."

I nodded and watched him leave, before walking in to our room again.

Asher was seated on the desk chair while Josiah sat on the foot of the bed, away from Levi, who was sleeping peacefully. Asher kept staring at the floor but Josiah looked up when I entered.

"Has this happened before?" Josiah whispered.

I shook my head.
"Never," I said. Not that I know of.

"Maybe we should see a therapist," Josiah said, now looking at Asher. Asher looked up and nodded.

"Thank you," I said. Asher looked up again and made eye contact with me.

"You don't have to thank me, Honey. I'm your brother," He said, smiling sweetly. He looked at Levi for a second before turning to me again.

"But we need to know what's wrong," He said, reminding me of the conversation I had with Lucian.

Poor Levi. I'll go with her.

~Amira Levi Mazzanti~

My throat feels sore. I opened my eyes and blinked. A sigh escaped my mouth as I turned to my side. Putting force on my forearm, I lifted myself up a little only to be stopped.

"Are you feeling okay, Bunny?" Asher asked, standing up from the chair and rushing towards me.

"Yes," I said, proceeding to get up. He took a step forward extending his arms, but stopped. I sat up and saw Rose on the bed beside me and Josiah on the foot of the bed.

I looked back at Asher to see him picking up a glass of water from the nightstand. He put it before my mouth and smiled.

I clutched the glass in my hands tightly, careful not to touch his hand.

The water sent relief to my throat as I gulped down the whole glass.

"Are you really okay?" Josiah asked. "Can we check for fever?"

I nodded.
"I'm okay. You didn't have to worry so much."

"Don't say that," Asher said, softly taking his seat again. "We have the right to worry for our sister."

I ripped the covers off me and swung my legs down the bed. Asher panicked.

"Woah! No. Don't do that!" He said, standing up and rushing over to me. "You should rest some more."

"I rested enough. I'm fine," I said, standing up and walking towards the bathroom.

I'm not even feeling tired.

"How long did I sleep?" I asked, splashing the cold water on my still tear-streaked face.

"It's morning." Josiah informed. I looked up sharply, coming face to face with my own reflection.

"Did you sleep?" I asked.

"Yes." All three of them muttered. I walked out to find Rose in different clothes.

I nodded, relieved that I didn't make her stay up.

I walked back into the bathroom to shower. After changing into the clothes Rose put on the counter while I was showering, I stepped out. Surprisingly, the two guys were still sitting there.

My stomach growled, reminding me of the meal I missed.

"Let's go have breakfast." Josiah stood up, stepping aside when Rose rushed to me.

She held my hand in hers and we walked behind our two brothers to the kitchen.

The already silent kitchen fell more silent when we entered.

"How're you feeling, bunny?" Lucian was the first one to ask.

"Good," I said. I didn't look at anyone, feeling the pitiful looks.

"Meet me in my office after breakfast," Lucian ordered. I nodded and walked over to sit between Jayden and Damien.

I'm not scared of Damien.

Rose looked at me for a moment before moving to sit between Asher and Josiah.

I looked up when the plate was put before me.

'Fat bitch. How will you die if you keep eating?'

"What happened?" Damien asked from beside me.

Lucian looked up with raised eyebrows.

"I don't want to eat," I said.

'King Elijah Verlice orders you, Princess Amira Levi Verlice, to please eat. He also insists that you stop pouting so adorably before he decides to use his most dangerous weapon and pulls his pout and puppy dog eyes on.'

"But you haven't eaten anything after Lunch yesterday," Asher said. I looked at him, then looked away.

"I'm not hungry. Maybe an upset stomach," I said, leaning back against my chair.

"Eat, Bunny." That's all Lucian said. I looked at him and shook my head. He raised an eyebrow.

"How about half of it?" Asher compromised.

I picked up the spoon hesitantly and took a bite.

I am hungry.

'Stop acting like a victim.'

"Exchange seats with Rose please." Lucian sighed, looking straight at Jayden.

Poor him. Always being asked to move.

Jayden scowled and stood up. He threw himself in Rose's seat and stabbed his food.

"What happened?" Rose asked, quietly, after she was settled in the seat beside me.

"Nothing. I just don't feel like eating," I muttered, pushing food around the plate.

"That doesn't happen. You're hungry," She said. I nodded slowly.

"If someone eats their food, they go on a cool date with the great Dex Mazzanti," Damien said, making his voice heavier.

I turned my head to give a deadpanned look to his failed attempt.

"Who wants to go on a date with you anyways?" I muttered, looking at him ridiculously.

Instead of being annoyed, he smirked and leaned down to whisper.
"You'll beg to go if you knew what this date consists of."

"And what is it?" I asked, giving him the best 'I don't give a flying fuck' face I could.

What he whispered made my eyes go wide slightly, before I controlled myself.

I cleared my throat. It's embarrassing how I want to go now.

Damien looked at Jayden and they shared a knowing look. Jayden looked at me and smirked.

"Take the offer. I had to beg for months," He said, nodding his head.

"The offer still stands," Damien announced, before going back to eating his food.

"If someone eats their food, I'll give them the biggest imaginary hug." Asher put his side of the deal forward.

"And I'll take them to an amusement park," Josiah said, smiling at me encouragingly.

"And I will pretend I didn't hear what Dex offered," Lucian said, surprising me. I didn't expect him to add something.

I just picked up my spoon and started taking small bites.

If they're trying so much.

'They're just trying to make you fat, so you're more hideous.'

Rose held my hand and squeezed tightly. I looked at her to see her smiling at the guys, who were sharing victory looks with each other.

Do they really care that much?

---

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

271K 6.2K 33
Aurora grows up with abusive foster parents until her biological father learns about her existence and steps in to save her. But what happens when 6...
995K 23.9K 33
"Aurora, get in the goddamn car before I throw you over my shoulder and put you in there myself", One of my brothers say. I roll my eyes at them. Thr...
564K 12.1K 38
She hated them. They loved her with everything in them. The universe truly has a sick way of telling you it's there, doesn't it? From being kidnapp...
Saved Av Madison:)

Allmän skönlitteratur

814K 16.2K 33
Isabella Rose Romano A 13 year old to which love is something very unfamiliar to her. Having grown up in the foster system, it didn't come very often...