A Thief and a Queen

By MackenzieWinner

A collection of my OQ one shots, mostly from OQ Week on tumblr. More

Masquerade
Caught
Forgotten
Assassin
Hades
Archery
Just Once
Convincing
Retirement
Snowball Fight (Missing Year Trilogy #1)
On the Balcony (Missing Year Trilogy 2)
Fever (Missing Year Trilogy #3)
Bath Time
Happy Ending
Pain Management
Comfort Food
A Purrfect Beginning
True Love
Family Matters
Lost Souls
The Nanny
Welcome Home
Teach Me
The Tattoo
Dad Quest (Part I)
Dad Quest (Part II)
The Ball
The Dinner Date
The Marriage Test (Part I)
The Marriage Test (Part II)
The Marriage Test (Part III)
What Child is This?
Not Just Another Day
An Education in Love (Part I)
An Education in Love (Part II)
Promposal
A Valentine's Day Surprise
What a Soulmate Feels Like
Lost in a Book
Abducted
Vacation Buddies
Muse
The Professor and the Bar Owner
Better When I'm Dancing: Injury
The Queen and Her Pet
Regina's New Problem
Skeletons Are Supposed to Be in the Closet
The Mausoleum
Breaking the Curse
Soulmates
Make Me Whole Again
Pixie Dust Doesn't Lie
Page 23
Comforting Regina
Second Chances
The Queen in the Attic
The Fire
The Hospital
Under the Sea
Sharing is Caring
A Special Connection
Baking Bread
Breaking Free
The Last Lifetime
Shooting Star
Finding Robin
The Tournament
Truth Revealed
To Be With You
Flu Season
Rain
Problem
Self-Care
Costume Contest
A Late Dinner and a Conversation

Hope

1.3K 53 5
By MackenzieWinner

“Hope” 

            Regina sat in her vault, books scattered around her. None held the answers to unfreezing Marian. She buried her face in her hands, trying not to scream. It was hopeless. She was letting down Robin and Roland and it killed her. 

            She stood, trying to walk out her frustrations. As she glanced over the books she had yet to check, she found Henry’s storybook sitting on a shelf. Regina pulled it out, flipping through it. She stopped at page twenty-three, showing her the night she ran from Robin and the tavern. How would life have been different had she gone in? 

            It did little to muse on that now. She had more pressing matters to attend to. Like unfreezing her soulmate’s wife. Why must her life be so complicated? 

            Putting the book back, she pulled out a thin book next to it. It might have something that could help her. At least, she hoped it did as she flipped through the pages. 

            Regina stopped as she came upon something promising. A potion that could counteract dark spells. Perhaps it could work against the Snow Queen’s magic? Hope filled her; perhaps she wouldn’t let Robin and Roland down after all. 

            She pulled out the ingredients needed for the potion, setting up her equipment to brew it. Dicing, mixing, heating—these were things she could do to feel like she was making progress. Regina watched as the potion bubbled, anxious to test the results. 

            Looking in the cauldron, she frowned. She didn’t think it should be bubbling so much. Turning down the flame, Regina checked the book to make sure she had done everything right. She missed how the cauldron began to shake and liquid splash over, hitting the flames. They danced higher, scorching the pot. By the time Regina turned back, she realized there was nothing she could do but take cover. It was going to blow. 

            Regina miscalculated and didn’t find cover in time. The force of the explosion propelled her forward and a sharp pain exploded in her head as she landed on the stone floor. Spots danced before her eyes before the black swallowed her. Her last thoughts were of Robin… 

***** 

            Birds chirped above her and she felt the warm sunshine on her face. Regina scrunched her eyes closed tighter, confused. Had the explosion blown a hole in her vault’s roof? She didn’t think it would’ve been that big. 

            Groaning, Regina decided it was best to open her eyes and determine how bad the situation was herself. She blinked a few times but every time, she saw nothing but trees. Turning her head, she realized she was in a forest, not a vault. Nothing felt broken, so she doubted she had been catapulted out of her vault. So what had happened? 

            She sat up and tried to take stock of where she was. The woods looked like every other forest she had ever been in: full of trees with green leaves that filtered the sunlight down on the grassy ground. But it told her she couldn’t be in Storybrooke, where the Snow Queen made sure it was even colder than the usual winters in Maine. So where was she? 

            Childish laughter echoed through the trees and she tried to figure out where it was coming from. Looking over her shoulders, she saw the tiny figures running amongst the trees. A young boy, about ten, led the back. He had dark hair that flopped into his brown eyes and his skin had a tan from being out in the sun. 

            On his heels was a young girl, not much older than Roland. She had dark blonde hair that was braided in two plaits. Brown eyes and similar facial features indicated that she was related to the boy she chased. She laughed as she closed the gap between herself and him. 

            Their clothes showed they were peasant children but with parents who made sure they were well-clothed. His shirt and breeches were not ratty and her linen dress was well made. Both were barefoot, but what child didn’t like running barefoot on such a beautiful day? She remembered Henry at their ages doing the same in the backyard. 

            “I’m going to catch you, Henry!” the girl shouted. Regina straightened up to hear his name. She believed she was back in the Enchanted Forest somehow and Henry was a common name there, but it seemed strange that she would see a boy with it. 

            The boy—Henry—glanced over his shoulder. “No, you’re not, Hope. I’m still bigger than you.” 

            “But I’m faster!” Hope burst forward, leaping in the air. She landed on her brother, pushing him to the ground. He ended with his back on the ground as she sat on his stomach, triumphant. “Ha! Got you!” 

            “No fair. You tackled me.” Henry was panting. 

            Hope laughed. “I still won.” 

            “Not yet. We have to get back to camp.” Another boy ran up to them. “You know the rules, Hope.” 

            The children circled around Henry and Hope, ignoring her. She reached out, trying to get one to talk with her. Her hand passed right through the young boy closest to her. They couldn’t see her. She was just a witness to whatever this was. 

            Everyone froze as hoof beats grew louder. Henry grabbed his sister’s hand as he told the others to hide. Children dived behind trees and bushes, silent. Henry first hid Hope behind a shrub, motioning her to be quiet, before he darted behind a tree. Just like that, Regina was the only one in the clearing. Not that anyone could see her though. 

            A black stallion broke through the trees and its hooded rider reined him in. Regina recognized him even though his face was obscured—this was Robin. She watched him dismount and lower his hood as blue eyes scanned the clearing. For a moment, she thought he would see her but his eyes darted right past her. He looked the same, though with a proper beard of the scruff he preferred. 

            Robin nodded before letting out a low whistle. Someone—she believed Henry—answered with a low one and Robin let out two quick whistles. It was an all-clear signal, she realized as the children emerged from their hiding places and swarmed Robin. 

            Hope popped up from behind the shrub and raced toward Robin, arms outstretched. She smiled as she called out: “Papa!” 

            Regina’s heart clenched as Robin swung the girl up toward the sky. Hope giggled as he let her fall a bit, catching her again. She wrapped her arms around his neck and rubbed noses with him. “I missed you, Papa.” 

            “I missed you too. Were you a good girl for Mama?” he asked. Hope nodded and Robin narrowed his eyes. “You did all your chores?” 

            “She did, Papa, as did I. That’s why Mama said we could play.” Henry stepped forward, looking at his father. 

            Robin nodded, shifting Hope to his hip so he could pull Henry in for a hug. “Good lad.” 

            “Robin, do you have any stories?” a young boy asked. The other children echoed the question. 

            Chuckling, he nodded. “But I’ll tell them back at camp.” 

            The children cheered before taking off, racing past Regina. Robin watched them go as Hope held onto him. She looked at him with her big brown eyes. “Can I ride with you?” 

            “Of course.” Robin turned to Henry. “How about you?” 

            Henry nodded. Robin motioned toward the horse. “Then you mount Rocinthe first. I’ll put Hope in front of you.” 

            Once his children were settled, Robin mounted behind them. He pressed the horse forward and the stallion trotted away. Regina was once again alone. 

            With the woods silent, she tried to make sense of what she had seen. The explosion had somehow sent her back to the Enchanted Forest, but to a time where Marian hadn’t died and had more children with Robin. 

            She frowned. That seemed wrong. While a common name, she didn’t know any reason why Robin and Marian would name their son Henry. Of course, she didn’t know much about Marian. Maybe the name held some significance for her as well. But then there was the fact his horse shared a name with Regina’s own beloved one… 

***** 

The sounds of conversation startled Regina and she looked around to find she was now in the center of a tiny village. Tents surrounded a clearing which served as a town square, judging by the people gathered there. A well sat in the middle and several women stood around it, talking. When looked toward the sky, she found several houses built into the trees. Did Robin and his family live in one? 

            Robin entered as several Merry Men darted forward to greet him. Little John took charge of the horse as Friar Tuck helped Hope and Henry dismount. “Welcome home, Robin,” Little John said. 

            “Good to see you back in one piece,” Alan-a-Dale added. 

            “Your faith in me is astounding.” Laughing, Robin dismounted. He patted the saddlebags. “See these supplies are distributed amongst the people.” 

            Alan and Tuck saw to the saddlebags as Robin stepped forward, searching the crowd. He frowned. “Where is my wife?” 

            The crowd parted and Regina prepared herself to see Marian emerge. Instead, she saw herself step out of the crowd. This version of herself was wearing a beige shirt paired with brown breeches and a brown leather vest. Her hair was twisted up in a bun and she carried a baby girl—perhaps six months—on her hip. That Regina had the other hand on her free hip and she stared at Robin with an exasperate look. “I have a name.” 

            Robin chuckled. “That you do. A beautiful name…Regina.” 

            He cupped her cheek before kissing her. Her free hand went from her to grabbing his arm. The baby squirmed against her mother’s hold but Regina was not too lost in her passion and she tightened her grip on the girl. 

            Was this a dream? Or a nightmare, sent to her to torment her over not choosing Robin all those years ago? To show her that she could’ve been in love and very happy, with three beautiful children? Everything she ever wanted was right there in front of her. And she had been too afraid to take it. 

            They broke apart and Robin turned his attention to the baby, taking her from her mother’s arms. He kissed her forehead as he bounced her, eliciting a laugh from the baby. “You have a beautiful name too, Honor,” he told her. 

            Regina raised an eyebrow. In this—timeline? Universe? Life?—they gave their children all “H” names? She didn’t think they would be so gimmicky. But as she thought about it, the names all had special meaning to them—Henry, after her father; Hope, the very thing Tinkerbell promised her; and Honor, the thing Robin prided himself on. So they were special…but still gimmicky. 

***** 

Everything became a blur and Regina closed her eyes to fight off the nausea crashing down on her. When her stomach calmed, she opened her eyes. She was now standing in one of the treehouses. Night had fallen and several lanterns lit up the house. 

            Robin sat in a large wooden chair, rocking Honor as the baby tried to fight off sleep. At his feet, Hope played with a doll. Henry dried off the dishes the other Regina washed. It was a sweet domestic scene that further added to the ache in her heart. Why was she being tormented like this? 

            Glancing down at Hope, Robin smiled. “Would my girls like to hear a story?” 

            “Yes, Papa!” Hope turned around to face her father, resting her doll on her lap to also face Robin. 

            “What story do you want to hear?” 

            “The one about the princess and the thief!” Hope exclaimed. 

            Robin laughed. “You’ve heard that one so many times, I believe you can tell it to me!” 

            “But I love it. Please, Papa.” Hope folded her hands and gave him puppy dog eyes. 

            “Whatever you want.” Robin cleared his throat. “Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess. She was kind, smart and loved horses. While riding, she met a handsome young man and they fell in love. But her mother was a cruel woman who wanted her daughter to marry the widowed king. So she killed her daughter’s love, forcing the princess to accept the king’s offer of marriage. 

            “One night, before her wedding, the princess made a wish on a star. She wanted to be happy. Her wish was answered by a fairy, who offered to help her find her soul mate. The princess agreed and the next night, the fairy used pixie dust. It led the two to a tavern in a nearby town. The fairy left the princess outside the door, telling her that her soul mate was inside.” 

            Regina knew this story. There was some liberties taken, but it was her story. Up to the part where she had to make a choice—go inside or run away. She had chosen to run away. But what did this Regina do? 

            “The princess took a deep breath and opened the door,” Robin continued. “She was dressed in a simple but still elegant gown and everyone stopped to look at her. Including the thief who did not know he was glowing in pixie dust, telling the princess he was her soul mate. All he knew was that she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen and she was looking right at him. 

            “He walked over to her and asked her to dance, overjoyed when she accepted. They spent the night dancing, talking and laughing. As the sun began to rise, he gathered his courage and kissed her. With the tavern set to close, he asked her to come with him. The princess hesitated but remembering the unhappy life that awaited her at the castle, she first confessed her true identity to the thief. But he didn’t care, asking her again if she wanted to go with him. She agreed. 

            “When the servants failed to find the princess in her room, a search party was sent out. They were able to track her to the tavern, where people recalled her with the thief. But after that, no one was able to find them. The king and the princess’ mother did their best to try and find them, but after several weeks, the search was called off. The princess and the thief were nowhere to be found.” 

            Hope scooted closer to her father, eyes wide. “Where did they go, Papa?” 

            “The thief had long made his home in the woods and knew it well. He took the princess there and they moved about until they were certain the king was no longer looking for them. By this time, she was as accustomed to the woods as he. They made their home in the trees and they lived happily ever after.” 

            The other Regina stepped forward. “All right, Hope. You’ve had your story. Go wash up and get ready for bed.” 

            Hope nodded and ran up the wooden steps to the treehouse’s second level. Robin placed Hope in a crib by a large bed Regina assumed was their marital bed. Meanwhile, Henry watched his sister go up the stairs and shook his head. “She still hasn’t figure out that you two are the princess and the thief.” 

            “Says the boy who only figured it out last year.” Regina ruffled her son’s hair. “Now, you go clean up and get ready for bed. I’ll be up in a few minutes.” 

            “I want Papa!” Hope’s voice wafted down the stairs. Robin chuckled and began climbing the stairs, Henry on his heels. 

            Time sped up until Robin came back downstairs. He sat next to his Regina on the bed, running a hand through his hair. “We’re going to have to tell Henry the true story soon.” 

            “I know. He’s gotten so big.” She sighed, rubbing Robin’s back. “It seems like just yesterday he was a babe sleeping in that crib.” 

            She motioned to the crib where Honor slept on. Robin smiled. “How time flies when you’re busy being happy.” 

            He kissed her before pulling away. “But still, Henry is ten. In two years, he’ll be old enough to begin trading and soon be going out on missions. He needs to know how dangerous it is for us.” 

            “It’s been years, Robin. King Leopold certainly has moved on. And I banished my mother to another world before that. No one has any reason to look for us.” 

            Robin sighed. “You would think. But even on this mission, I saw the reward posters. They’ve upped it.” 

            “Why? I’m not that important.” 

            “I beg to differ.” Robin pulled her closer to him. “You’re very important to me. And to our friends and especially our children.” 

            She smiled, resting her head on his shoulder. “I missed you. I always worry when you go out on missions.” 

            “I know, but I have to. It wouldn’t be right to ask the others to go on them and never go out myself. You know that.” 

            “Of course, but still…I’m always afraid this mission is the one that they’ll find you and kill you for treason.” 

            He cupped her face. “But I would die knowing you and the children were safe. I’d never reveal your location.” 

            “I know, Robin. I just don’t know what I would do without you.” She laid her head against his shoulder. “I don’t know how I would go on.” 

            “You would. You’re a strong woman, Regina. And I know if something were to happen to me, you’d raise our children and lead our village.” He tilted her head up and kissed her, pulling her until they were reclining on the bed. 

            Everything dissolved into blackness once more. Regina felt as if she was falling as a beeping noise echoed through the emptiness. She tried to find the source but all she saw was nothing. 

***** 

            “Mom? Mom, are you waking up?” Henry’s—her Henry—voice echoed with the beeping noise. She fought her way toward the sound as a white light engulfed her. 

            She opened her eyes and closed them again. The white light was harsher. “It’s okay, Regina,” Whale’s voice said. “Try opening your eyes again. Blink a few times to try and adjust them, okay?” 

            Regina did as he instructed and his face come into focus. He smiled. “Welcome back, Regina.” 

            She was confused. Did they know she had gone to that other time? How long had she been gone then? “Where am I?” 

            “There was an accident, an explosion. You’re in the hospital,” Whale said. “You’ve been out for a couple days, Regina. I need to do some tests.” 

            Whale guided her through some basic tests and nodded. “You’re responding normally. I’m going to keep you here for one more night, just for observation. But I think I can send you home tomorrow. 

            “Now, there are some people anxious to see you.” Whale stepped over to the door and opened it. Henry tumbled in, catching himself before he hit the floor. The doctor smiled. “I’ll leave you guys alone.” 

            Henry rushed to his mother’s side. “Mom, are you okay? I was so worried.” 

            “I’m fine. Just a little accident, that’s all.” She laid her hand on his cheek, ignoring all the tubes running around her. “Sorry to worry you.” 

            “I’m just glad you’re okay.” Henry glanced at the door. “The others want to say something. Are you up for it?” 

            Regina sat up a bit and sighed. “I guess so. I wish I had I hairbrush.” 

            “I’ll bring you some things from home tomorrow,” Henry said as he opened the door. He looked out. “She said you can come in.” 

            Mary Margaret led the group into her room, coming to stand by Regina’s bedside. She peppered her with different questions as David tries to convince his wife that Regina needed her rest. Emma just stood against the doorframe, one arm around Henry’s shoulders, watching until they saw how tired Regina was getting. At that point, Emma helped her father usher Mary Margaret out while Henry said his goodbyes. 

*****

            Regina fell back asleep and awoke a few hours later when she felt as if she was being watched. She sighed and rolled over without opening her eyes. “Aren’t you supposed to be with Emma? I’ll see you in the morning, Henry.” 

            “I’m not Henry. To my knowledge, he is with Emma.” 

            She opened her eyes, finding Robin sitting next to her bed in the darkened room. His elbows rested on his knees as he was hunched over, watching her with a somber look. “I’m glad you’re finally awake,” he said. 

            “What are you doing here?” 

            “Checking on you.” Regina tried to sit up but he placed a hand on her shoulder, applying enough pleasure to only keep her from rising. He frowned. “You need your rest.” 

            “And you need to stay away from me so you can fall in love with your wife. We’ve discussed this.” Regina frowned.

            “Nearly blowing yourself up can’t be ignored.” 

            She glared at him. “I didn’t do it on purpose.” 

            “I know, Regina.” He took her hand. “But it scared me nonetheless.” 

            “Robin…” 

            “I found you, Regina,” he continued, grabbing at his hair. “I heard the explosion and traced it to your vault. My heart stopped when I saw you unconscious on the ground and it didn’t start again until I found your pulse. I thought I had lost you.” 

            He cupped her cheek. “I know what you’ve told me and it does seem like the only option. But I don’t think I’ll ever stop loving you.” 

            Tears ran down her face as she remembered the—dream? Vision?—of her life had she chosen Robin. Now, he was choosing her. She tried to keep her voice steady as she asked: “What do we do about Marian? I can’t find any other way to cure. My last hope literally blew up in my face.” 

            “We’ll figure this out together.” He took her hand, careful of the tubes. “And if we have to defeat the Snow Queen to save her, we’ll do it together.” 

            She smiled and closed her eyes again, comforted by his presence next to her. As she drifted back off, she knew he would be there in the morning. Maybe she could have a happy ending after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

411 16 1
A flash forward to Christmas time in Building a Family. Robin, Regina, Sophie and Roland get ready to celebrate the holidays with a few surprises alo...
7.5K 315 25
*Written mainly from Regina's POV.* When certain events in life occur, they have the power to write the next part of life. And everything that has ha...
5.1K 112 13
a collection of my favorite one shot stories, i am not taking credit for any..... just a collection of my favorites that i want to keep! enjoy!
424K 7.2K 200
This is a book where its once characters and you.