57.

I hurried as fast as I could to get to her, staying on the phone until she had to hang up.

She was already in labor by the time she got into the room, my mom and another close friend of hers was with her and this wasn't the time to question why so I left it alone, I could tell she was having a breakdown. It scared me damn near worse then her, once I got to the hospital I parked and looked around for their car, I noticed a hellcat and immediately my stomach dropped even worse.

I rushed into the building stepping to the front desk, "Hey is- what room is Kalyce White in?"

"Room 10 to your right? and you areeee.." The lady looked to me and I stuttered despite telling the truth, "I-Im her close friend, we were just on the phone." She nodded and the moment I turned to go into the room I saw Kentrell and a few people behind him exit including my mom, her friends and older brother.

I tensed up when we made eye contact and quickly looked down, he looked down aswell to his shoes leaning against the wall and I took a deep breath walking past him to speak to my mom. I smelled the same scent I met him off of in his presence and it made me sick to my stomach, I kept my eyes directly on her despite seeing him out my peripheral vision. "Mom what's going on why is everyone leaving?" She looked back to me and I could see tears in her eyes, it made me realize a couple others were crying too.

"They want the room empty during the procedure."

"So, What's going on? What do you mean why would they..."

"Uhm." She looked to me and reached to hold my face, moving my hair over my ear.

"Mom?" My heart felt like it was thumping at my chest.

"Kalyce isn't looking too good right now..."

I turned from her covering my face, "Look Nique."

I shook my head keeping my hand over my face when there was a mumbled sound of loud crying, I prayed to myself there would be some kind of maricle. The door opened and a doctor made there way through us to Kentrell, thats the only time I think I kept my eyes on him longer then a second.

"Excuse me sir, Id like to talk to you for a minute." He nodded and Kentrell got up off the wall following him into the room. "We cant come to see the baby?" I asked, "Well not currently no, we'd like to keep the room limited for a while until we get everything sorted out."

"I need to be in there— wheres Kalyce?"

They didnt respond and I pushed my way through everyone to stop them from entering, "Excuse me Im sorry but Id like to have a moment with Kalyce...Just for a few minutes."

Kentrell looked to me and I kept my eyes on the doctor, "Unfortunately...We can't make that happen ma'am—" His words crushed me but I shook my head, "I know, I just wanna see her."

"Let her come in," Kentrell said and I kept my eyes off him looking down, the doctor took a deep breath letting the both of us in and I covered my mouth to see a doctor over Kalyce, I came closer to see something Id regret. I covered my mouth reaching down to touch her face moving her hair out the way and thats when Kentrell stepped in holding their baby boy in his arms, the doctors had already cut the umbilical cord for him and everything, "we just need a moment alone right quick."

The doctor did as he said exiting the room and I shook my head looking down to her trying me best not to cry while I played with her hair, she looked so lifeless. It scared me and hurt me.

"Yall was still close..?" I heard him say from acrossed the room, it would have been easy to respond. A simple yes or no, I didn't want to, I simply nodded my head.

Once I felt ready I came toward him still keeping my distance looking to the baby, he looked up toward me and hinted the question. I nodded holding my arms out and he stood up handing the baby to me, I held him and stepped back still to keep my distance, I could tell he wanted that moment but I refused to give it to him. Instead I came toward Kalyce looking to the baby then her and smiled trying to piece the features I could already see together, he had her eyes. Everything else seemed to take after his father...Or so I thought.

I looked to the fingertips and squinted, the baby seemed lighter then both parents. I looked to the nose seeing how pudgy it was, I looked to the lips and finally sighed, "I dont think Kalyce knew who got her pregnant."  "Whatchu mean?" He said coming toward me, I didn't need him near me, I just needed him to listen. "This isn't your baby Kentrell look at him," I said showing him the baby and before he could get mad I shook my head,"She didn't know. I think you should just get a dna test with three and if it comes out your child, you have another responsibility."

I kissed his forhead looking down once again, even if he may not have been his baby Id still want to take care of him. For Kalyce, I handed him back to Kentrell and took one last look at Kalyce before exiting the room, infact I was ready to exit the hospital. I wanted to just get home and forget everything unfortunately Id never forget those years of my life with Kalyce.

I regretted my wishes toward her.