On the Farm Again

Because Mark wasn't allowed to step into the Limitless Cafe without being disowned by his Mom today, Jaehyun and Jungwoo knocked on his window until he finally noticed them and snuck out of the house.

Jaehyun had been planning to bring Mark to the basketball court to play, but then Jungwoo tagged along. So now they had no idea what they were doing.

"We could go kidnap Shotaro," Mark suggested, the other two instantly raising their eyebrows.

"After his parents called the police? I don't think so."

"Well then what's everyone else doing today?" Mark countered, Jungwoo and Jaehyun both subconsciously waiting for Jeno to start on his spiel before they remembered he wasn't with them.

"Taeyong and Jaemin are at the school volunteering, Ten's probably got dance, I think Renjun has a couple clients, and Xiaojun might've gone to his parents' grave. I have no clue what everyone else is doing."

"Jeno and Doyoung have their monthly outing today." Jungwoo added to Jaehyun's list.

"We could kidnap Shotaro, say it's for a research project, and then go to the grandparents!" Mark exclaimed, catching the attention of a few other people on the streets.

"It could work." Jungwoo mused, both Mark and him now looking to Jaehyun to see if he'd agree.

"Jungwoo and I could head back to the cafe, pack up sandwiches for the trip while you get Taro. We look to old to be in middle school with him."

Agreeing to Jaehyun's plan, the three of them split up to complete their tasks. Jungwoo had to use the excuse of having a picnic in the park to make sure no one else tagged along with them, but that didn't stop Taeil from coming anyways. He was practically begging to get out of there.

Someone wasn't watching the coffee machine, so Sungchan, YangYang and Lucas were off the walls.

Mark cautiously approached the Osaki household, hesitating before knocking on the door. 

Within a minute a man opened the door, staring down Mark. The Canadian did his best to not shrink back on the spot.

"Hello, sir. Is Shotaro here? We have a research project together and I was wondering if he was free to work on it."

"I'll go get him."

Mark flinched as the door shut, followed by yelling in Japanese. When the door opened again, it was Shotaro standing in the doorway.

"Research project?"

"Yeah, on the care of goats, remember?" Mark asked with a teasing smile, a light flicking on in Shotaro's head as he figured out what that meant.

"I'll get my notebook."

He came back within a second, practically running out of the house with a notebook tucked under his arm.

"Having only one child should be a hate crime. It's way too quite in there."

"I feel you. My house is the same." 

Mark rested his arm on Shotaro's shoulders, bringing him in front of the cafe where they met up with Jungwoo, Jaehyun, and the newly added Taeil. Jaehyun had a backpack with him, presumably where the food was.

"Mrs. Suh packed us two extra scones. I think she somehow knows it wasn't just us three." Jungwoo commented, still a little freaked out about that.

The group just shrugged, heading to the bus stop. Unfortunately, the bus wouldn't take them all the way to their grandparent's farm, but it'd be close enough. They'd just have to walk the last mile.

"I thought you guys were having a picnic in the park." Taeil said skeptically, confused why they were at the bus stop.

"Nah, we're going to the grandparents. Except now I will have to do a project on goats because my Dad will ask to see it." Shotaro gave Mark a subtle glare, but it wasn't like he minded.

The bus ride was filled with nonstop talking and joking around, all of them subtly using the opportunity to see if Shotaro was okay. They ate their lunch when they got off the bus and started walking, which slowed them down a little bit, but they didn't want to eat on the bus.

Jungwoo, Jaehyun and Mark raced each other the last few meters to the farm, Taeil and Shotaro taking their time.

Grandpa looked up from the garden plot he was getting ready for winter, a smile breaking out on his face as he set down the bucket of weeds and opened his arms for a hug. Jungwoo and Mark reached him at the same time, almost knocking the man over. Jaehyun came a second later, followed by Taeil and Shotaro, each of them getting their hug.

"Is this it, or are there more hiding somewhere?" Grandpa teased, turning around to see if they were coming from behind.

"We're it. Shotaro has a research project on goats, so here we are."

"We have a research project on goats." Shotaro corrected Mark. He was not about to let him get out of it that easily.

"Well go say hi to the little old lady in there, and then I'll help you with whatever you need."

The five gave him a salute before running into the house, grandma instantly enveloping them into a tight hug. She made them each crouch down so she could kiss their heads, upset they had gotten too tall to do that while hugging them.

"It's about time you kids visit me. With that old man out there working all the time, I've been left alone."

The boys laughed, but she was dead serious.

Jungwoo, Jaehyun and Taeil stayed inside to help her with a few things and keep her company, but they just ended up making cookies and sharing stories. Mark and Shotaro ended up helping grandpa with taking care of the goats as part of their lesson, Shotaro occasionally breaking away to take notes.

Once that was finished, they came back inside with grandpa and had still warm cookies and milk. They would've stayed the whole day if it hadn't been for Shotaro having to go back to his own house.

Grandma Suh made sure they had enough cookies for everyone at the cafe when they headed back, though.