But It Still Hurts

Sungchan climbed up to Lucas's bed, laying down and covering himself with the blankets. He knew he couldn't be seen unless someone climbed up there, but that was the point. Especially since Lucas was wrapped up in something and wouldn't be able to come to the cafe today.

Even though he was the only one in the basement, Sungchan still clamped a hand over his mouth as a sob took over him. It just hurt inside.

He had worked so hard to make it to the finals with his soccer team, a game that would be aired on live television and scouts from professional teams all over the country would offer deals on site if they saw what they wanted. And yeah, he wasn't sure if that's what he wanted to do with his life, and he knew his parents didn't want him to go down that road, but he still thought they'd be there. They were always at his games. Yet right when it really mattered they were going to hike a mountain for the weekend.

Okay, there was more to it than that. His Mom's best friend since they were babies was finally going to be proposed to, and it was going to happen at the top of the highest peak in South Korea. Sungchan's Dad was going because his Mom wasn't that physically fit and he didn't want her to accidentally get left behind or hurt on the mountain. She was stubborn enough to not say anything and be there for her best friend, but that also meant she didn't check the calendar for previous commitments before agreeing.

Commitments like Sungchan's game.

So while he understood why they were both going and he knew he'd rather both of them go and come back safe than let something happen to his Mom, it still hurt. It hurt they had forgotten about the single most important game in a what could be career of his.

It didn't make complete sense because he was twelve and the scouts would be looking at the older kids on his team, but that wasn't the point.

Which is why he was now silently crying in Lucas's bed, hoping no one came down and found him. Because he was beating himself up inside for thinking so selfishly and it wasn't helping in the slightest.

"No, I am not going to do your homework for you because I'm better at it. Go do it yourself."

Sungchan froze. If he didn't move, Doyoung and Ten would continue bickering and hopefully leave.

"But I've got so many things to do! And it's not like you're doing anything anyways. Please?"

"I actually am doing something, thank you very much. Today's my monthly take Jeno out for ice cream and to get strawberries, so we've got to bother Jaemin and ask if he wants to come along."

That almost made Sungchan smile. Almost.

"Oh. That is pretty important."

"Has anyone seen Sungchan? We need a fifteenth player for twister!" Shotaro shouted.

"There's not enough room for fifteen people on a twister mat! Stop trying to break each other!" Doyoung shouted back.

"Never! If you see him, tell him we need him upstairs!"

"Will do!" 

Sungchan heard the basement door shut. He was clear for now.

"Alright, I'm leaving."

"See ya, bunny."

Doyoung then could be heard walking up the stairs, but Sungchan almost screamed when Ten stood on the bunk beneath him so he could see the top.

"Why are you hiding?"

Sungchan wiped at his eyes roughly. "I'm not."

Ten's face instantly softened and he climbed up onto Lucas's bed. He motioned for Sungchan to sit up, and he did, now wrapped completely in Ten's arms as he tried not to start sobbing again.

"Should I get Taeyong?"

"No, I'm just being childish."

"I don't think you are if you're this upset."

Sungchan then explained the entire situation, trying his best to keep his voice steady and his chin from wobbling. Ten simply listened, frowning the entire time.

"You're allowed to be upset. And I know it's not the same, but I'll make sure we all show up. I bet even the grandparents and their goats will show up to support you."

Sungchan laughed a bit at the thought of the goats trying to attack Mr. Suh while they watched on the sidelines.

"It won't be the same, but I'd like that."

Ten smiled and squeezed him as an attempt to hug him while still hugging him.

"Then we'll be there. But I think right now you're wanted for a game of twister." Ten nudged Sungchan off the bed and he jumped down, offering him a grateful smile before running upstairs.

It still hurt his parents wouldn't be there, but it hurt a bit less. Plus twister would be the perfect distraction.

Unfortunately, goats weren't allowed at the stadium, but everyone else was there to watch Sungchan play. Even if it was raining and they lost by two goals.