Meetings

The last thing Xiaojun had expected to happen when he left for school in the morning was for the head of the school to call him down to the office and sit down to have a talk with him. Just the thought of having to go to the office terrified him, having never gone there for any reason yet. So he tried to think of what any of his friends would do if they were in this situation, but then decided trying to muster the sass Haechan had or YangYang's brains wasn't the best idea. 

Instead, he sat in the empty office and read the inspirational quotes that were hung on the wall, watching the kids out on the playground from the window. Exactly what he would've been doing if he wasn't called in just to sit here and wait because the head of the school had an emergency to take care of for a minute. 

"Sorry about that. I hope you weren't bored for too long." 

The head of the school entered the room and sat down across from him in his desk chair. When Xiaojun didn't respond he offered him a sucker from the jar that was kept on his desk. Xiaojun happily took the offer, instantly unwrapping the green apple sucker and sticking it in his mouth. 

"You're not in trouble, I just have a couple of legal things I have to ask." The head pulled up Xiaojun's file on his computer and tried to take as long as possible to avoid this conversation. 

"Like what?" 

Xiaojun already knew what they were going to ask. He'd been waiting for it since his parents died, knowing the school was going to need to know who was taking care of him. He just didn't think it would take this long. 

"Well... with your parents no longer... here, your guardianship papers will need to be changed over to whoever is taking care of you now. Do you know the number of your guardian?" 

"Call Limitless Cafe." 

The head was slightly confused, but he looked up the cafe number anyways and dialed it regardless, handing the phone over to Xiaojun.

"Limitless Cafe, how may I help you?" Mr. Suh answered, surprising Xiaojun. Normally Mrs. Suh answered the phone.

"Hi, it's me. I think the head guy at my school wants to talk to you."

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, he just wants to know who's taking care of me."

"Alright, I'll send my wife over to you in a minute. She's just dealing with something with Jaehyun's teacher. Something about how he isn't participating enough. Hang in there, kiddo."

"Okay, bye."

"See ya soon."

Mr. Suh hung up and Xiaojun passed the phone back to the head. He didn't question it when Xiaojun said someone would be over soon, and the two just sat there. Well, the head tried to talk with him to keep him entertained, but the only responses he got were one words. Until he got him talking about Bella, Leon and Ruby. That kept Xiaojun entertained until Mrs. Suh came into the office looking like she was ready to fight someone.

"Hello, I'm Mrs. Suh. What's going on here?" She took a seat next to Xiaojun, kissing the top of his head in reassurance because she could tell he hated it in that office.

"I just needed to change over guardianship papers for Xiaojun. How are you related to him?"

"I'm not. Not by blood at least. My son is one of his friends and he's been staying with us. It's a crazy story."

The head looked surprised, but pulled out new paperwork regardless for her. Xiaojun sat next to her with his sucker as he watched her fill out the paperwork, helping her with a few of the things about him.

The head then asked her a couple of things, mainly about how she came to be his guardian, and she happily answered all of them. Except the one about if she would be contacting his blood relatives to send Xiaojun with them. She didn't care for that question.

"That's all, Mrs. Suh. Thank you for coming in. You can take Xiaojun home with you if you want, or I can send him back to class. There's only an hour left."

"I'll take him home. Have a good day."

Mrs. Suh took Xiaojun's hand as they walked out of the school, but they didn't head back to the cafe. She took him to the closest ice cream shop and they sat down inside to eat it.

Not at all what Xiaojun was thinking when he got up this morning.

"Xiaojun, my quiet prince," she started, pausing to take another spoonful of ice cream. "do you want to go with your relatives? I can work something out and get in touch with them if you do."

"But they're in China."

"I'm just asking."

"Can I stay here? With you?"

Mrs. Suh couldn't stop the bright smile on her face. "Of course you can."