Dumplings

Kun got up extra early. Almost two hours earlier than he normally did. So it was roughly four in the morning, just so he could make dumplings before his chores he did for his grandma before school. He didn't need  to make dumplings, but after Johnny's parents let them stay for dinner he felt the need to make something.

While he was at the cafe yesterday they started playing a game of Monopoly with a lot of extra pieces, so when his grandma said it was time to go, YangYang managed to convince her to let them stay longer. Chenle wasn't the happiest about that, but Kun wasn't about to give up an afternoon where he didn't have to clean his grandma's house. He'd been doing it for as long as Chenle had been sent to live with her, which wasn't that  long, but he wanted a break.

It was almost six thirty when he finished cooking the dumplings, putting him twenty minutes behind on the chores. That would have normally been a problem, but Chenle ended up waking up earlier than normal and started helping. The six year old had a tendency to only do things he absolutely hated, so he went straight to washing dishes while standing on his personal stool. Which is why he colored with Mark and Jungwoo during Monopoly.

"Why dumplings for breakfast?" Chenle pouted when Kun slapped his hand away from the dish.

"They're for the Suhs. I'm going to drop them off before school if you want to come." He immediately started shaking his head with fearful eyes. "Now you have to give me a good reason why you won't."

Kun had found that was the easiest way, other than taking Chenle by force, to get him to do something. If he could come up with a solid reason why he couldn't, Kun would leave him alone. That only happened maybe twice, but he stuck to his word.

"Granny won't know where we are."

"We'll leave a note."

"What if the Suhs aren't up?"

"Their cafe opens at seven, they're already up."

"Maybe they don't like dumplings."

"It's the thought that counts, then." Chenle frowned, knowing if he couldn't come up with another reason in less than ten seconds that he'd have to go. He did want to go and see them again, but that went against everything his Mom taught him.

"Good. You're coming with me. Go get dressed."

Chenle reluctantly got down from his stool and went to the room he shared with Kun. Trying to hide the fact that he was excited. There was no way he'd ever let Kun think we was right in any circumstance.

With the tray of dumplings in hand and a note on the table to let their grandmother know where they were, the two cousins set off into the just awakening city to the Limitless cafe. It sounded a lot more adventurous than it really was, but they never went out somewhere on their own unless it was to the store for something small. Plus the fact that they both had their backpacks on made it feel like even more of an adventure.

"Why dumplings?"

"Because baking them sweets is a strange thing when they own a cafe, and it's like a dinner for a dinner." Dumplings were also Kun's favorite thing to make, but he rarely had time for them.

Just as Kun had thought he remembered, the cafe was already open by the time they got there. Only one person was sitting down to enjoy their cup of coffee with only the adults behind the counter. They both smiled when Kun and Chenle entered, a very welcoming sight.

"The boys are almost done getting ready for school if you want to wait up here for them." Kun's brain paused as he translated her words.

"We came to give you these. Please enjoy." Kun bowed as he handed over the container of dumplings, Mrs. Suh taking them and proudly showing her husband.

"Did you make these?"

"Fresh this morning." Their proud smiles were almost too parent-like for Kun to handle now that his lack of sleep was catching up to him.

"Sit down, then. You look like you need a cup of coffee to wake you up." Mr. Suh went to brewing one before he could protest and say he was only eleven.

"Thank you very much, Kun. These look delicious." Mrs. Suh gave him a one armed hug, patting Chenle fondly on the head.

Johnny and Yuta came up from the basement as Mr. Suh handed Kun his coffee in a paper cup rather than a mug so he could take it with him if he needed too.

"Oh hey! You came to walk to school together?" That was another thing Kun learned yesterday, that he went to the same school as Johnny.

"I came to bring dumplings as a thank you. I have to get Lele back to grandma."

"Why? He can walk with Jaehyun and Mark when they go." Kun looked to Chenle for approval to just hand him off like that, but the six year old was distracted by Johnny's height.

"If they don't mind-"

"Of course not! They loved him!" Yuta happily ruffled Chenle's hair.

"Jaehyun and Mark will take you to school, okay? Tell them where your class is and behave." He nodded, not wanting to protest and make extra work for Kun.

After saying goodbye, Chenle headed to the basement where Jaehyun and Mark were more than happy to watch him and bring him to school. Johnny ended up stealing Kun's coffee as they walked, the younger not used to the taste. 

"In case no one told you, you're welcome to come over any time you want. There's a back door with a key under the mat if you need something when the cafe isn't open."

"But my grandma-"

"I'm just letting you know." Johnny gave him a quick smile before taking another sip of coffee, offering Kun some just for him to shake his head.