The Rice Essay

Because Siren_Song45 wanted to see this

Trying to get into National Honor Society is like trying to make rice for the first time with the chiming in of someone else who has no idea how to make rice. Neither of you know what you're doing even though it appears like a seemingly easy task. After all, it is rice. How much different can it be than cooking noodles?

Spoiler alert: very

I mean, just chuck some water in a pot and then dump some rice. Right? But no, it's not that simple. There's a ratio for water to rice, and if you mess that up then the end product is not what you wanted at all.

Trust me, I know.

For the sake of this essay and this analogy, water is procrastination and the rice is the information packet to be filled out, recommendation letters and this essay included. If you add too much water, the rice won't be done in time and it ends up soggy. Not exactly the quality someone wants in a bowl of rice. However, if you don't add enough water, the rice doesn't get cooked enough. At least it's done though, right? What you truly need to make rice, and to complete this packet of tasks, is the perfect ratio. Time management. 

Now hang with me, I'm getting to the point.

Regardless of whether or not you failed or succeeded in the cooking of your rice, you still want something to show for it. After all, you did just spend all of that time and effort, and it may or may not be the side to go with your chicken nuggets you had also been cooking this whole time. Chicken nuggets are always the perfect pair to rice. However, having something to show for either of those efforts is the goal, and if there is nothing because it all had to be scrapped, you're left with a feeling of disappointment.

Joining National Honor Society is the reward for all of that effort. Not the reward for making rice, but for all those years of effort put into the accumulative average of 90 or above, along with the effort put into reaching out to people for the recommendation letters and remembering what you did throughout the years to put on the list of activities.

Asking teachers to write you a recommendation letter is stressful. Just in case you weren't aware.

By getting into National Honor Society, not only would it be a demonstration of all the hard work I have put in, but it opens the door to new opportunities such as community service projects and gives me a boost by putting it on a resume or college application. Through National Honor Society I would be unlocking opportunities for further rice making endeavors rather than throwing out the batch I just made.

I would like to point out that I did fail in making rice two minutes before writing this, so I really hope this goes better than that did.

Kim Jungwoo