Chapter 12// Saviour

This morning I woke up with a heart only half as heavy as it usually was. Ivar's kindness not only confused me but made me suspicious. Falling in his quite warm embrace was exactly what I needed in this moment, but why? Why didn't my whole body, mind and soul break away from him but rather searched for his touch. These question just added up to the countless other things I was having a mental war with. I was still recovering from the accident, I was unsure what to do with August and the other ghosts who seem to be hiding from me, and Bjorn hasn't talked to me ever since I met him that night. I felt like I was stuck, I wasn't going anywhere.

When I woke up I checked Ivar's room in hope I could talk to him but it was useless. He wasn't there. I then decided to look for him or just anyone to keep me company. I entered the hall where the Queen sat on her throne. Even in the early mornings she looked so effortlessly beautiful I wonder if she ever felt tired or ugly.

"Hella right? Come over my child." her stern and powerful voice speak up making me nervous. she never addressed me personally so what made her wanting to talk to me now?

"Yes my Queen." I ask bowing in front of the living stature she was.

"I wanted to talk to you. Would you mind if we walk for a bit?" she asks shooting me a sly smile.

"Of course my Queen." I answer obediently like I probably should.
 It's not my nature to behave like this but seeing the power she holds, it's the only way of not killing myself here.

She stands up and walks towards me and I only now realize how tall she really is. She walks with such grace, that I can't imagine her being anything else but a queen.

As we leave the warmth of the halls she begins to speak.

"I don't know if you know this, but I'm a Volva. I see things and I know certain things." she begins her words always wisely chosen. What if I'm one of her kind? What if she can help me?

"And I noticed that there is something special about you too. Tell me, what gift did you get from the gods?"
she asks leaving me speechless. I'm unsure if I should trust her or not but she seems like my only hope. Even if this is a trick I have to give it a shot. What do I have to lose at this point.

"I see the dead and they see me.
They usually interact with me, sometimes even try to harm me. And as far as I know I can control peoples mind and dreams to a certain point. I also heal faster than usual."
I explain hoping she could help me in any way. Something about her makes me feel save and sane and I just hope her kindness isn't faked.

"That is really interesting.
You are truly blessed." She assures me slightly squeezing my arm. I'm startled by her behaviour which isn't usual for her. 

"Queen Aslaug what do you know
about this? Could you help me to free myself from this curse?"
I ask hoping I don't sound too desperate. I'm just so tired of this pressure on my chest.

"Oh your curse is something entirely different, this is one of your greatest gifts."

"I don't understand."
I say confused as we walk on the long pier.

"You're a strong woman who has been broken by gods and countless monsters.
But giving up or trying to run away from your fate is the worst you can do. I see a ruthless ruler in your future. A King so cruel, that you need to be the missing kindness for the people. The gods bound your souls together Helena."
She says with such certainty, it scares me. What is she seeking in me?