Chapter 6// Scars

The next days were like a nightmare. He tried to break me on the daily, treated me like an animal and made sure that I hated every second I breathed.

I never felt this way, not even when I was a slave as a kid. But things were different then. My powers didn't show when I was chained up, just like now but now I'm scared from life, and the true face of this cruel world is showing more than ever.

Bruised up I walk around, hiding behind my hair and holding my arms to keep the cold away from me. I was entering the main hall which was filled with celebrating Vikings.
I wasn't sure what they were celebrating but I honestly couldn't care less.

A few were still looking at me but most have gotten used to me, the wandering shadow of Ivar. I search for him but since I couldn't see him on his place so I decided to walk to his Chambers. I'm a few steps from the door when I hear someone walking behind me.

I look behind me to see Ubbe. He was slightly drunk and happy looking when his arms wrap around me to give me a hug.

"What are you doing there? Leave me alone I don't-" I panic looking around for the creeping monster.

"Relax I just wanted to look out for you, maybe drink a cup or two with you." He slurs looking really excited.

"I don't have time for your little games."

"What happened to you? Where is that funny adventurous woman I once knew."

This hits me like a punch in the guts and as I remove myself from him, I look in his genuinely sad Eyes.

"She died the second she stepped foot in Kattegat." I spat at him in Norse looking him into his eyes. He didn't even know me how could he then talk about me being adventurous?

He lazily lifts his arm holding my bruised cheek. He steps forward giving me a sloppy kiss on my lips. Something jumps inside of me, for a second I kiss him back, before I remove myself from him.

"I want you Hella. You know if you were a free woman..."

"But I'm not. Forget that you said this and go to sleep."

"Good night."
he said but I didn't answer him. I pushed the already slightly opened door open. When I step in I see Ivar sitting on his desk, not looking at me.

"I'm sorry I didn't want to disturb you."
I stutter looking at the floor.

"Come in." he says still concentrating on the dagger he has in his hand.

"I just wanted to make sure that you got everything you wanted for tonight."

"Yeah thank you." I look up to him amazed and suspicious by his behaviour.

"So how is my brother?"
He asked leaving the blade on the table as he turned around to look at me.

"Which one?" I ask looking at his evil smirk in fear of what he might do to me.

"The one you kissed?"
He said harshly, his eyes colder than ice.

"I didn't. Please, he kissed me I didn't I-"