[Season 3] Ep. 10 - The Crucible of Convictions

After a lengthy week of treatment and recovery at the hospital, marked by numerous visits from my parents and grandparents, I was finally discharged. While my wounds had healed, The Hunter's final strike had left a deep scar on my abdomen. Oddly enough, that hospital week brought me closer to my parents, who showed more concern than ever before. Our extensive conversations helped them grasp my unwavering determination to become a true hero, while I gained insight into their fears about the dangers of this profession. They were scared—for me. Fearful that my quirk would subject me to public ridicule, that I would sustain injuries on missions, or worse, that I would lose my life. For years, their only wish had been to protect me, even if it meant stifling my dreams.

In the end, we reached a mutual understanding, and I pledged to do my utmost to minimize any risks to myself, provided they continued to support me. Reluctantly, they agreed, leaving me with fond memories of my hospital stay.

Upon returning to U.A. after my absence, I headed straight to the classroom for the morning assembly. Arriving slightly early, most of my classmates were already there, likely anxious not to be late or because my return had been eagerly anticipated.

Before I could even settle in, Ren, Shiro, Kaito, Goro, Miyako, Ema, and Masako swarmed around me, nearly everyone present eager for updates.

- "Ken! Are you alright?! How did it go against The Hunter?!" Ren's concern was palpable.

- "And your wound? You've got a scar? Let me see it!" Shiro's curiosity was evident as he leaned in.

- "You've seen the monster with the crystals? What was he like? I heard it knocked out Kenshin and Katsuro!" Kaito's voice was filled with excitement and awe.

- "About The Ray, what was he like? Your internship wasn't too hard?" Goro's inquiry was accompanied by a genuine interest in my experiences.

- "Dude, you missed the rescue run with Ultra Bright! You should have seen it, it was insane!" Miyako's eyes gleamed with excitement as she recounted the thrilling event.

Amidst the clamor, I found myself unable to get a word in, bombarded by questions from my comrades. Until Ema and Masako, forging a path through the crowd, positioned themselves in front of me like protective shields.

- "Shh! Let's give Ken a moment. He's had a tough couple of weeks, so let's not overwhelm him with questions right now. He'll share when he's ready," Masako interjected with a soothing tone.

- "Exactly. So back off, unless you want to experience the heat of my quirk," Ema added with a playful yet firm tone.

With that, the group dispersed, offering half-hearted apologies, though clearly disappointed that I hadn't immediately addressed their questions. As I made my way to my seat, flanked by Ema and Masako, Kazuo approached.

- "Excuse me, but can we talk, in private?"

- "Uh, yes, of course. I was actually hoping to speak with you too," I replied as the girls stepped away, keeping watch.

- "So, I wanted to thank you for having my back and helping me against The Hunter. Without you, I don't know what I would have done..."

- "You're kidding, Kazuo? If anything, I owe you a massive debt of gratitude! You shielded me and sacrificed your drone to protect me. Without your quick thinking, I might not be standing here today... And about your drone, I'm really sorry..."

- "Don't worry about it. I already have another one. When I told my dad what happened, he just laughed and said, 'Do you think I'm senile enough not to have a backup plan?'"