[48]

Ellipisim:A sadness that you'll Never be able to know howHistory turned out

Ellipisim:
A sadness that you'll
Never be able to know how
History turned out.

[◇]

The water dripping. I heard water dripping. My body felt cold and naked. My head was a mess, I had a strong pounding headache.

"Sweet, sweet Verena..." Hale snickered. I'm strapped to a chair with a cloth stuffed in my mouth. I scream as he dragged a knife down the middle of my naked body. It only grazed the skin but it got me extremely scared. "I can't believe you let Covan fuck you so easily," he groaned and pressed a little deeper on the knife as it ran across my shoulders.

I kept screaming and screaming, wet tears cascaded down my red cheeks. "I was nice to you...I gave you everything," he continued as he brought the knife to my collarbones. "You fool everyone with your innocence when you're nothing but the devil wearing white," he growled out and pressed the tip of the knife to the base of my throat. "Please, please, please," I chanted into the rag through my sobs but it was resulted in muffling words.

"You ruined me. I gave you everything. I tried to teach you a lesson and what did you do? You tried to throw me in prison. You fucking slut!" Was the last thing Hale screamed at me before driving the knife into my heart.

I jolt off the bed, sweat glistening my skin thanks to the sun rays beaming through the drapes. It was all a dream. No, a nightmare. I flopped down on the bed again, my hair spreading on my pillow. My eyes remained glued to the white smooth ceiling as I kept replaying the nightmare over and over.

Hale.

This reminds me of the accident. I still haven't told anyone about that even if it's months later. When a cold wind blew into my bedroom, my eyes snapped to the window. What I saw made me drown with fright. I jump off the bed and slowly walked to the brown glass pieces on the ground. My window is broken. It wasn't like that before.

Something on my desk caught my eye. A red rectangular box. That's also...foreign. my hands shook as I removed the cover of the box which made the process even slower. With the nightmare, I was on edge. And the broken window wasn't easy either. It was big enough for someone to slip right through. Inside the box were a flash drive and a small folded piece of paper. I first grabbed the flash drive since it was the most curious one. What's on it? I bolted to my laptop and immediately turned it on.

My heart continued to race in my chest, the note clenched tight in my hand. I hurriedly plugged on the flash drive and there were two videos stored only. I clicked on the first one. At first, it was dark, then the more the camera settled, I felt the life drain out of me. Well, that's what it felt like. It's me sleeping in my bed last night. The irregular breathing was the only thing you could hear while the camera shook in his hands.

Hale.

Hale is back, I just know it.

I quickly skipped through the thirty minute video of me sleeping and went to the other one. My fists formed on the mouse when I saw it was the same video. Only in was Covan sleeping. Crazy thing was that the video was the exact amount of minutes and seconds as the first. I skipped to the end, making sure it was nothing too strange. "He has to pay," Hale's deep voice grunted before the screen went black.

Covan's home alone. His parents were out for the night and return this afternoon. I didn't have time to brush my teeth, I threw a gum into my mouth and bolted out of the house with my phone and car keys in my hand. The note. I never read it. I pulled it out from my back pocket where I had shoved it in the hustle.

He had it too easy. Now he has to pay. I wish you said your goodbyes. I decided against it because he isn't worth you. I am your worth that you deserve.

He'll be gone by the time you read this love, no worries.

-the love of your life.

That only press on the gas pedal harder on my way to Covan's house. Fuck, I knew I should've stayed over yesterday. I could've protected him. Countless times I tried to call him on the way but he wouldn't pick up. So instead, I called the cops and told them what I had to. This bastard cannot get away with this. Once I pulled into his driveway I ran to the door, leaving my car idling and open for anyone to slip into. The cops weren't here yet but that didn't stop me from running in.

"Covan!" I screamed, my feet already running as fast as I can up the stairs. "Ve, stay away!" Covan shouted and I definitely didn't listen to him. I ran into the room and froze in my tracks when I saw Hale pointing a gun at Covan's head.

Gunpoint.

"Hale. I got your gift. Don't do this," I staggered, walking closer to him. My heart was beating off the charts, my mind was a tornado. I have no idea what's the plan or what to do. Now I realize that calling the cops probably wasn't the smartest idea. "Get out, Verena! He's here for me, not you!" Covan demanded. "He's here because of me," I helped Covan realize the truth. "Don't you try to sweet talk me, Verena. I've seen the movies. You fucking turned me in to the cops!" Hale screamed and the gun shook in his hands.

He's being so careless with such a dangerous object.

"Because you hurt me! You basically raped and abused me! Our relationship wasn't going to work out either, we weren't meant for each other. Come on Hale, you really don't have to do this. Covan is innocent," I defended and pleaded at the same time. "Yes, it is his fault because he's the one who twisted hour mind into going to the cops in the first place! I was just gone for a couple of hours and then I heard I was wanted. What the fuck, Verena!" Hale doesn't hesitate to scream back.

The sirens.

They were near, he heard them too. Covan acted fast and he jumped off the bed and tackled Hale to the ground. The gun dropped out of his hand and I kicked it across the room. The sirens got louder and louder, Covan managed to keep Hale's weak body on the ground. He looked much worse than he did a couple of months ago. His hair was a mess, his face was messy, his clothes were dirty and he looked too skinny to be healthy.

The cops ran into the room and took Hale. I wanted as my body was now in the protection of Covan's arms, they handcuffed him and escorted him out of the room. Well almost. Covan kept repeating words but all I could hear was the buzzing. The officers moved their lips as they spoke to Covan and I or even Hale, I heard nothing.

Hale was a smart and determined guy. He outsmarted us in a way. Even in handcuffs, he managed to grab the officer's gun from his holster. It was so unexpected, we were holding each other, neither of us expecting the bullet. At his first aim, he released the trigger, sending the bullet straight at Covan's chest.