[23]

Reverie:Absent minded dreaming While awake

Reverie:
Absent minded dreaming
While awake.

[◇]

"I need to go check on something," I awkwardly announced, shoving my phone into my back pocket. I needed to go meet Hale now before he decides to come find me himself. "What? You don't believe me that your car isn't harmed?" Reena assumed.

"No, no," I immediately corrected her," I just need something from the car. I'll be back in five minutes," I continued. She seemed skeptical but nodded her head. I wasted no time leaving the motel and walking down to the lobby. Hale's car was right at the front and through the glass, I could see he was staring straight at me.

I took a deep breath before opening to door. "What the hell are you doing here?" Hale snapped at me immediately when I got into his car. I shook my head, fingers raking through my hair as I thought of something to say. "Are you cheating on me?" It sounded more like a statement than a question.

"How can you think that? I'm not," I defended. He stared at me, his eyes dropping to my outfit and he scoffed. "Yes you are and you know it. I know this place, all the rich people come here to hook up, why are you lying to me?" He hissed, gripping his steering wheel tightly enough to get me scared.

"I didn't cheat on you, god damnit," I shouted this time, hating the way he accused me.

In a quick motion, before I can say anything else, he grabbed me by the throat and pulled my face closer to his. "Look me in the eyes and tell me you didn't cheat on me, Verena," he lowly dared, his grip on the base of my neck slightly yet noticeably tightening.

My hand covered his, trying to pry his hand away from my neck but he only tightened his grip. "I didn't cheat on you, Hale. I swear," I truthfully promised. He tilted his head, bringing his face closer to mine. "Then tell me what you're doing here," he demanded.

"My mother sent me out to the grocery when the rain started to fall and then she told me to stay at the motel because of the rain. It's dangerous and she was just being a good mother," I blurted out the lie easily. I had to lie. Hale was very possessive and sometimes it's a bad thing. Covan would be dead if I told him the truth.

He grunted, squeezing my neck tightly causing my heart to race and red flags to go off in my head. Breathing was becoming a problem. I tried, I really did but he didn't let go. Screaming would only make things worse but I deserved this.

"You're h-hurting me," I gasped out. His eyes widened and the darkness was gone as he let go of my neck. I gasped for air, falling back on the seat. "I'm so sorry, I just needed to make sure you were telling the truth," Hale blurted out, checking me worriedly to make sure I was okay.

I glared at him and said nothing. Instead, I reached for the door handle but he was too quick and locked it from the controls on his door. "Please. I'm sorry Rena. It's honestly not a big deal, couples choke each other all the time," he hopelessly brushed off.

"Okay, whatever," I mumbled even though I was fuming inside. "Do you still love me? I didn't mean to do that babe," he pathetically asked. "Yes, now open the door before I scream, Hale," I demanded. He still held back, reaching for my hand, and sadly I flinched away from his touch.

"Kiss me, first baby," he mumbled. I leaned in and kissed him with my eyes open. His were shut and his lips moved against mine, trying to throw all he got into the kiss. I didn't care, only moving my lips slightly before pulling away. He opened the door and I got out. "Call me," he hoped before driving off and I glared at his car as the waterworks started.

God damn it, I really need to break up with him now. This was the final straw. I needed to stop ignoring the signs and dump him. I deserved better than this. I wiped my eyes and spun around, ready to go back upstairs when my heart dropped.

Covan Harington stood between the open double doors with his hands already rolled into fists, his eyes glaring straight at me. "Covan," I hesitated, walking closer to him. "What are you doing coming out of Hale's car, Verena?" He spat.

I couldn't let him study me enough, knowing Hale, he probably left a mark. I walked around him, into the lobby, and, on my way to his apartment for the day. "That's none of your business, I really need to go," I simply brushed off, hoping it would stop there. But knowing Covan, he followed me behind. "Answer me, Verena. I know you kissed him," he insisted.

I cursed myself for allowing that to happen. Did he see the choke too? "Is that all you saw?" I asked, still walking forward with him walking behind me. "He's your boyfriend, isn't he?" He asked instead. Covan is a smart guy, I'm sure he already put the puzzle together and I'm doomed. "I'm not stupid, I know he is but I need you to say it. Why would you go with such a dick like him? He's the worse kind of guy to be around and to top it all, he's a Raven. We don't mix with Ravens, and you're one of us so you are forbidden from being with a Raven."

That's where he got me and I turned around. He stopped walking directly in front of me and I didn't want to pick up on how close we were handing in the corridor. "You don't get to tell me what to do! He's my boyfriend and my problem. Stay out of my life, Covan. I was with Hale before I came to Cresent High and I wasn't going to break up with him because of some stupid feud," I snapped.

"He abuses you! Are you blind!?" He admonished, his eyes widening at my stupidity. "You are blind. Every relationship is different. Get out of mine, Covan. I told you they were marks from our nights," I argued. "Bullshit! Did he just fuck you in that five minutes because I see the handprint around your neck and mark my words I'm going to kill him," he grunted out. I sighed, looking at my shoes.

"It's none of your business really. I need to get home. I'll deal with Hale myself," I ended, turning on my heel and walking back to the room. "I knew something was up when you went for something in your car without your car keys," I hear Covan mumbled behind me. That explained why he was here in the first place. Once again, this was a result of my stupidity.

However, I ignored him and got to the room quickly. I marched in and grabbed my clothes and food before locating Reena. "I have to go, I'm so sorry. It was nice and I'm sure your food is delicious," I sadly told her, trying my best to hide my neck.

She frowned but nodded her head, accepting the fact. "I'll see you soon dear, take care," she says. I smile at her before walking out the door where Covan was still waiting. "Verena, we should talk," he tried as I walked away.

"Fuck off, Covan," I offered before turning the corner.