[31]

This chapter lowkey makes me sad but hope you enjoy it😖❤

Ethereal:
Invisible but detectable.

[◇]

She was already waiting outside for me by the one glimpse she got of my car. "Mondays isn't good enough for you, so you had to show up on a Tuesday," Ellie grinned and I ran into her arms, hugging her after the week I didn't see her. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that honey, I wish you told me," she frowned, pulling away from the hug and I looked at her with confusion. "What are you talking about?" I asked.

"We know about the assault. Preston told us," she revealed, making me more confused. "Who's us? Why would he do that? How did he find out?" I blurted out. Does the whole school know? How did Preston find out? God, I wish it wasn't Covan who started all of this. "Preston's dad is a cop. He cared about you so...he spilled. That doesn't make any sense but I'm happy he spilled so I know," she ramped and hugged me tighter than before.

"Who else knows?" I asked, the fear of the whole school knowing made my heart race in the protection of my ribcage. "Besides Preston and I, Covan and Jessie," she revealed. Jessie? Why Jessie. She'll tell the whole school, I'm doomed. "Let's just forget it yeah? I'm over it and I don't want to be constantly remembering it," I hoped and we pulled away again, this time walking into school. "Already forgotten but if you need me, I'm here," she assured me which was very much appreciated.

_♤_

The day has progressed until lunchtime. I haven't seen him in any of my three previous classes sadly. So when Ellie enlightened that we will be sitting with him and Preston to eat, I got excited. We bought two chicken sandwiches before walking to the table.

His eyes locked on me. His jaw was already clenched and he looked madly angry yet ve composed himself. What's wrong? I frowned and looked away, opening up my sandwich until Jessie sat down to Preston. "Verena! Oh my God, how are you?" She blurted out worriedly. I opened my mouth to say something when Covan beat me to it.

"I thought we agreed not to mention it," Covan huffed softly. "I didn't!" Preston held his hands up in surrender, leaving Covan to glare at Ellie and Jessie. "Oh come on! We can't just ignore it!" Ellie defended. "Exactly, it's assault," Jessie added and that's where I lost it.

"Can you guys just shut up and forget it?" I snapped and they all shut their mouths. I focused on my sandwich as the tension rose, everyone waiting for someone to change the topic. "So Covan, wanna tell us why you ditched us Sunday? We had plans to go to the Carnival," Preston spoke. I inhaled sharply, looking down at the sandwich. Sunday was the day he took me to his parents' secret cabin by the secret beach. He ditched them for me, fuck. Here come the butterflies.

"Wasn't feeling up for it," he cryptically said, not really lying I guess. "But you're the one who made plans in the first place," Ellie added softly and Covan glared at her. "So how was your Sunday? You went to the cops the day after right?" Ellie changed the topic. Of course, we're talking about this. I can never get rid of Hale as much as I want to huh?

"I was um around. Yeah, doesn't matter," I shrugged. "So since we all have a free next you wanna go to the library?" Preston changed the topic again and I mentally thanked him. "Sure," I agreed right away like my life depended on it.

"So is this your hookup spot?" I said, walking closer to Covan. He put the book down and smiled softly. "Maybe, maybe not. How was your first day back?" He changed the topic. I shrugged my shoulders in response. It was pretty normal I guess, it was an easy day back. It was hard not to think about him like we were on the roof. If I think about it too much, I'm screwed so I've been trying not to think about it.

"What's on your mind?" Covan asked, grabbing another book to lose concentration over. "So are we just going to ignore it?" I softly asked and his eyes finally snapped to mine. His eyebrows furrowed and my lips parted in shock. "Ignore what?" He questioned, proving my thoughts correct. I sighed and shook my head in disbelief. Is he serious right now? I know he wasn't high or drunk because his actions weren't so and I didn't taste any of it when we kissed.

We kissed. And I fucking loved it.

"You know what I'm talking about, Covan," I sighed, becoming disappointed that he was being like this. Am I a bad kisser? Does he regret it? Of course, he regrets it otherwise this wouldn't be happening. I'm so stupid. "I don't know what you're talking about. I seriously don't," he revealed. "The rooftop," I recalled, and yet he continued to play oblivious. "I don't know what rooftop you're talking about, Verena," he lied and I got furious.

"If you regretted it then you could just tell me. I'm not a pity damsel case, stay away from me," I say as I walked out of the aisle. "Goodbye, Covan," I muttered softly.

Vulnerable.

To be vulnerable around someone you thought that you could trust and rely on. Someone who protected you and cared for you. Someone who broke your walls down.