[40]

Their outfits for the gala in case if anyone was curious:

Verena

Covan

Balter:To dance graciouslyWith excitement

Balter:
To dance graciously
With excitement.

[◇]

"You look so beautiful, honey," my mothered admired through the mirror. She's right, I felt beautiful in my own skin. This dress makes me look like a princess and makes me feel powerful. "So do you," I truthfully say, looking at her satin red gown. With all her jewelry and the red heels, she looks more than beautiful. My father walked in shortly after wearing his grey suit. "Look at my two girls, looking all beautiful. I'm trash compared to you guys," he grinned, sliding his hand around my mother's waist and he pressed his lips to her forehead.

Dad has been more affectionate with mom, it makes me cringe but I like seeing her so happy. Her eyes would light up every time he would compliment her or kiss her by surprise. "Are you ready to go?" I changed the topic and shoved my phone into my mother's clutch. She agreed to put my phone in there so I don't have to walk with a purse myself. "Yes, of course. Let's go," my father announced.

_♤_

It was a sight to see. Beautiful royal blue and gold decorations draped across the walls, golden chandeliers hung from the ceiling, the live orchestra didn't sound too bad as I imagined. What I did predict was the delicious food and they certainly did not disappoint. Something seemed to be bothering my father all night. He seemed disappointed? I couldn't tell. I saw Reena a couple of times throughout the first hour we were here, she avoided me like the plague afterward and I have to admit, it really hurt.

So with the possibility of Covan being here, it wrecked me. Tonight I was also sort of in the spotlight because no one really knew about me. Now that they know my father had a daughter, they wanted to know all about her. I didn't like all the strangers pushing themselves in my face so eventually, I had to take my break. My mother understood I needed some fresh air and alone time so she showed me to the open balcony on the second to last floor. It was dark when I opened the doors.

The music from downstairs was immediately silenced when I shut the door. I let a shaky breath and walked to the banister that wrapped around the porch. When I came into the light, that's when I saw the familiar tall figure standing there. Upon hearing me, he turned around and shock flooded into his irises. "C-Covan," I stuttered. He looked so hot. He looks so deviously hot in the black tuxedo that hugged his muscular body perfectly. He wore a blue tie and a small handkerchief was tucked into his jacket pocket.

"Hi," he smiled softly, his hands buried into the pockets of his black pants. He looked so happy to see me, his smile brightens my entire world and he doesn't even realize it. "You look pretty," he continued, giving me a full body look from head to toe. "Thank you...you look pretty too," I mustered out even though I had a much rather inappropriate vocabulary for what I would really describe him right now.

"I believe I owe you an apology," he cleared his throat, looking me deep in the eyes. I held my breath, wondering why the hell would he think that. "No...I owe you an apology for not telling you. I'm sorry for what I did...when I was with you I would forget about everything else, it all seemed irrelevant in the moment and so did the fact that you didn't know the real reason why I was at the school or who my father is. But that reason is not the reason I was with you, I promised. The words were easily flying out of my mouth because it's how I truly felt and it's what I've been repeating to myself over and over for the past couple of days without him.

"I'm sorry for hurting you outside Esther's house. You didn't deserve that. I feel horrible to see you hurt and knowing I hurt you just completely ruined me, Ver," he mumbled softly as he walked. Now he was directly in front of me, his palms on my cheeks and his long fingers in my hair. "I'm sorry," he staggered out while deeply studying my face, noticing every flaw and beauty I had to offer. "We both fucked up. I overreacted, just, please. I can't go longer without you. I'm not myself without you," he continued. His fingers held my jaw, forcing my face to look at him at the perfect angle.

I love you, Covan.

I really flipping love you.

I was okay with that confession, though I didn't say it out loud, I accepted the realization and I loved it because Covan will be there to catch me.

Without saying another word, I inched my face a little higher so our lips finally met. It felt like a breath of fresh air. When he kissed me back and slid his and around my waist, it was a slow and appealing kiss and first. But then I didn't want that, I wanted all of him. We kissed each other harder, my fingers slipping into the roots of his dark hair. He moaned as I tucked on them and pushed our bodies closer. His tongue slips into my mouth, not hesitating to slide along my own. Covan is an intoxication, but hell. He's my favorite addiction.

When we pull apart, I didn't like the space so I dipped my head onto his neck and slid my hand to rest around his neck. "I missed you," I whispered in his neck, shamelessly inhaling his scent as my fingers playing with the hairs on the nape of his neck." I missed you too, If that wasn't already obvious," he laughed, holding my waist closer to him. We just stood there, embracing each other without a complaint. Minutes passed when I finally pulled away before he got annoyed.

"What now?" I asked, looking into his grey eyes. "Whatever you want to do, you're mine forever, Verena. I'm not letting you go again," he mumbled the last parts softly. "I love the sound of that, how about we go dance?" I suggested. He frowned, his eyes looking a bit distant. His thumb stroked across my cheek soothingly. "When I was fifteen, my first year here, my mother's friend tried to rape me. It's how I knew what rape drugs feel like...she spiked my wine," Covan revealed to me without hesitation.

My lips parted in shock, my heart pounding hard in the protection of my ribcage. "She fled the state. She never got through with it because Jessie walked into the room. She was drunk so she doesn't remember everything but my mother's friend is gone. Never seen her since," he continued. Jessie? I was relieved but it was still unsettling to me. I kissed his jaw and hugged him again. "I'm sorry you had to go through that," I softly say. He hummed in agreement. "Kinda don't bother about it because it was the reason I picked up football and focused on lifting weights. Though things like that never leave you so when I see this place it's hard," he explained.

"Let's get out of here then. Forget about the dance," I immediately say, hating the tugging in my heart when he told me about his past. "Hmm I rather dance somewhere else with you," he grinned. The rooftop popped up in my head. That place is a beacon for us. I'm sure if we told some people about that place they'll be annoyed but I'm happy we have a special place.

"So then what are we waiting for?"