[7]

Thantophobia:The phobia of losingSomeone you love

Thantophobia:
The phobia of losing
Someone you love.

After Preston and I struggled to get all the burgers, fries and split the bill, we walked over to the large table in the corner where everyone was. "What did the guy want? Covan wouldn't tell us," Jessie asked, sharing with furrowed brows as Preston and I took our seats. I was happy to take my seat at the furthest corner away from all the popular people on the table.
"Just checking out Verena," Preston shrugged his shoulders.

I helped myself to the pack of fries I bought and nibbled on that while playing with my phone in my lab. The constant laughter and chatter around the table go silent and I look up to see everyone looking up at me.

I must have zoned out there.

"Uh- sorry, what?" I blurted out, staring at them for answers.

"Are you coming to the party?" My eyes snapped to Cherry who asked the question. She was one of the two closest people to Jessie. Of course, they would ask me that. I look down and shook my head. I've never been to a party and it makes me nervous. I've never been to a place with more than ten people so I'm nervous all the time. "Why not?" Preston blurted out.

"I have a family dinner," I lied. That's a good excuse, right? My confidence was smacked out of me when I saw Preston on the verge of laughing. "A family dinner? What, are your parents real strict? Are you a family girl?" He snickered playfully but it was sort of hurting my feelings for some reason.

"Leave her alone," Jessie swat Preston's head. "What the fuck?" He cursed, rubbing his head. "Some people take family seriously unlike you, Preston," another scoffed. I smiled, knowing that I was getting my way on everyone's good side.

"Whatever," Preston mumbled and continued eating. The main talk on the table for the rest of the hour was outfits for the party, the game with Fallon's High next week, and midterm test.

_♤_

After showering and soaking up all the excess water with my towel, I changed into a hoodie and sweatpants before making my way downstairs for dinner. "Hey," I mumbled to my parents. Both of them mumbled back a reply as I sat down opposite them. The hard stare of my father already made me sigh.

I could predict everything that was going to happen here tonight.

It's all going to end with me annoyed and my father upset.

My mother did the honors of sharing out the food and as we began eating, I was waiting for my father to speak.

"How was school?" My father small talked but I knew it was much more than that since today was Friday. They left me alone and waited patiently for this day to arrive because today I was supposed to spill the beans.

"Good," I mumbled back. "How was your first match? You looked so cute in your little uniform," my mother awed. She was always the innocent one in my father's shenanigans. When I came home from the diner, she was the only one that saw me in my cheer uniform.

"Yeah, it was fun...exciting," I truthfully say. I've been practicing the new routine for next week's game with my father's school.

"So, what did you find out?" He asked, dropping the fork and giving me his attention. I sighed, giving in because I know he wouldn't drop it.

"After every game on Fridays most of the cheer squad and football team go to come restaurant to celebrate and after that, there's a party," I told him. He nods, looking at me skeptically. "The school is amazing, punctual, clean. The teachers are fun and goofy but strict at the same time," I added. His eyes glinted with wicked amusement.

"Anything about the principal?" He asked. Of course, he would ask about him. "Barely see him but he seems nice and friendly though," I shrugged, picking back up in my eating and my father let his thoughts linger.

"They're treating you good right? You like it there? Have you made any friends?" My mother questioned and I smiled at her normal questions.

"Yeah it's fine and I like it there. In fact, I made a friend and her name is Ellie," a smile made its way on my face at the mention of Ellie.

"Oh really? Is she nice?" My mother shockingly asked before shoveling more rice into her mouth. "Yeah, she is," I confirmed before copying her.

"And what about Coby? Shawn Harington's son," my father asked and I choked, causing me to have a fit of coughing until I gobbled my glass of water. "Are you okay, Rena?" My mother worriedly asked while my father blankly stared at me.

"Uhm...Covan is fine. Just a typical popular student," I shrugged even though I knew nothing about Covan and how typical he really was. "Oh, well you should stay away from him, I heard he's bad company," my father casually say and I froze. I didn't realize I was offended for some reason.

"Oh really? How would you know that?" I snapped, raising my eyebrow at my father. He sighed loudly," he and his father must be the same kind of person and I don't need you hanging around someone like Shawn," my father replied.

I stay silent, not wanting to upset him or argue. That would only make matters worse. I learned that already.

Dinner progressed with more questions about the school's curriculum and syllabus until I was finished eating. After putting my plate in the sink, I climbed up the staircase and disappeared behind my bedroom door.