[20]

Somniate:

Somniate:

To dream; to
Make sleepy.

[◇]

Verena Claire

Friday.

The big game.

I can do this.

It's just a normal football game later. In which my boyfriend's team was the competitor, but sure....normal. For school today I stuck with a cropped hoodie and a high waisted jeans. My stomach wasn't exposed unless I rose my hands up. Which is a low chance of happening? I completed my morning routine before slipping my phone into my back pocket and running down the stairs with my school bag and gym bag.

"Bye mom," I kissed her cheek on the way out. My father already left since he wanted to watch the boys practice before school started. I got in the car and set up the music and GPS before driving to school.

I had anxiety about today. I was nervous, constantly worrying and it wouldn't go away. I couldn't stop thinking about it. Something was going to happen tonight, I knew it. Hopefully, school would take my eyes off it.

When I arrived at school, we had forty five minutes before school started so we practiced the routine before showering and changing for the class within ten minutes. Thankfully, everyone made it to class on time.

However, it didn't make sense we changed since two periods later we had volleyball. I stuck with Ellie when I entered. After the teacher ordered us to stretch, we got into a pair and sat on the ground. "Covan isn't at school. I bet shit went down last night," Ellie commented while we stretched before starting.

I was confused by what she meant by that. "What happened last night?" I asked confusingly. The school was buzzing today. The students were more alive, rumors spreading about and more to talk about.

I should have known there was something going around and of course, Covan had to be involved. It wasn't the first time I noticed that Covan wasn't around today. I assumed we were still avoiding each other but this was confirmation he wasn't at school today.

But we have a game today.

He needs to be here.

He was the quarterback.

"Covan and Jessie broke up," Ellie flatly told me and I froze. Jessie and Covan broke up, holy shit. They were the perfect couple of this school. "Why?" I immediately asked, wanting to know more. "I don't know. People are saying he cheated but it's just a rumor. Jessie isn't saying anything. Someone said she was crying in the bathroom though," Ellie responded.

I had to remind myself that these things could just be rumors. Why did they break up? They seemed fine. "She seemed fine in practice though," I mumbled to myself.

"Yeah. So people think she broke up with him and that would explain why he isn't at school but she said he broke up with her," Ellie shrugged. She knew all of the gossip and today, I was living for it.

"Everyone up! Volley time!" The teacher ordered, cutting our conversation short.

_♤_

Holy shit, they did it!

Without Covan, they did it.

I was so scared that the Fallons were going to win.

I know I wasn't supposed to vote for my team because my boyfriend was on the other but I couldn't help it.

Fallons played extra good today, everyone was shocked over how competitive again. They were so close to winning when Preston took over the game and won for his team and school.

We ran on the field, the players hugging and spinning their girlfriends, others making noises while cheering for the team. Everything screamed happiness and I was happy to be part of something like this.

"Second game in a row baby!" Preston cheered and before I knew it, he threw me up, holding me below my ass as he spun me in the air. "Preston!" I screamed, slapping his shoulder so he would put me down, and eventually, he did. "You're coming to the party with us," he ordered with a goofy smile on his face. The team color paint on his paint was smudged and his body glistened with sweat.

"I can't," I straight up said. No way my first party was going to be today. "It was worth a shot! I'll see you soon!" He promised me before jogged away back to his football buddies. Squealing erupted and before I knew it Ellie pulled me into a hug.

"Preston just hugged you! Holy crap, Ver! He likes you!" She squealed. I pulled away and stared her dead in the eye. "Not gonna happen," I seriously told her. She rolled her eyes and nodded before we ran to the rest of the squad.

Everyone left early for the party, needing to clean up and stuff like that. I on the other hand couldn't wait to get home to shower and change into my pajamas. When I got home, my mother was already asleep. I should have known she would be since she was home alone.

After having my relaxing shower, I changed into shorts and a hoodie before flopping down on the bed. The moment where your back hurts when it's finally resting until it hurts into complete satisfaction and peace. An exhausted and relieved sigh left my lips.

I was so tired. I could knock out in two minutes yet I felt like I could still run a marathon. Sadly, my phone rang from where I threw it across the bed. I groaned, sending multiple curse threats to the other person while I got up to retrieve my phone. Confusion hit me when I saw it was Ellie.

Why was Ellie calling me?

"Hel-" she cut me off immediately. "What if something actually happened to him? He isn't answering his phone and the group chats are going insane," Ellie ranted. "What if something actually happened? Gosh, I already said that but seriously. People are actually worried. What if-" she continued before I stopped her in the middle.

"What happened!?" I asked her.

"Covan is missing."

•••
Thank you all for reading! This was a filler chapter, but a good one nevertheless. The next one is going to be amazing. This ship is about to sail y'all.

Stay tuned for next week ;)