[26]

Dulcet:Sweet, sugary

Dulcet:
Sweet, sugary.

[◇]

The cashier stared at me weirdly when I cashed for the Hennessy black but I didn't care less. It was on the way to the rooftop which was convenient just for me. Now here I was, sitting on the edge of the roof, my foot dangling off the side while staring at the trees. The gushing wind was brutally cold but the Hennessy helped with that.

For my first time, it wasn't as bad as expected. I was desperate for the escape that everyone says alcohol gives them. I wanted to feel everything float away but I could still remember the events clearly. The tornado of dangerous thoughts hovered around in my mind still. Tonight, my mission was to feel numb while appreciating the beauty of forest nature under the bright moon sky.

Obviously, that didn't go my way. The iron door creaked open and shut. Not to my surprise, Covan Harington was staring at me confused with his hands in his pockets. Tonight he had no alcohol which wasn't a relief. Where am I gonna get more?

"What are you doing here, Covan?" I finally sighed out, breaking the silence. "Last time I checked this was my spot that you keep intruding on," he instantly told. That was half true. "Then maybe we can share," I shrugged. His eyes were glued on the bottle in my hand and I shamelessly took a sip, bringing his eyes to mine. "I knew you were lying, you do drink after all," he assumed but I guess now I do. "I don't. There's a first time for everything," I smirked.

His eyebrows knitted together, analyzing the situation and new information. "What happened?" He asked softly, sitting down next to me. I looked away, feeling some type of way now that he was sitting next to me. Overall, I did not want to answer the question in the first place since he was the one who made the break up so horrible.

If he had just listened to me when I said stay out of my business.

I felt his cold fingertips on my cheek, pushing my hair behind my ear so he could see me better. "Hale and I broke up," my lips betrayed me. His eyes lit up in shock and he pulled back slightly. The way he looked at me, I could tell there were tornadoes of thoughts in his head. "Finally, about time," he surmised.

"It's...it's," I tried to say something but the reminder of him beating up Hale couldn't get out of my head. "Why the hell did you have to go and interfere in my relationship, Covan? I told you I had it under control!" I finally broke, not holding back. Great, now I was getting angrier sooner than expected. Alcohol does things. His eyes widened and his face paled at the realization. "W-What?" He stuttered and I rolled my eyes annoyingly.

"I know you beat him up! Do you know how much trouble you could get into for that?" I revealed. "I won't! You have to admit he had it coming. You're a smart girl, you know he deserved it," Covan flatly said. I groaned, taking a huge gulp from the bottle when it was pulled out from my grasp. "None of this for you," Covan insisted, covering the bottle and pushing it away.

I huffed and turned back to the dark trees and bright stars. "Verena," Covan tried calling and I ignored him with talent. "Verena, let me take you home," he softly said, surprising me. My head turned to his, noticing the vulnerability in his eyes. Even through the darkness, I could see his dark soft eyes that were so compelling if I looked at them too long.

Why was I suddenly feeling this way towards Covan? It's not like I have a crush on him now but tonight and with the alcohol's help I'm finally noticing how attractive he is.

"You can't," I whispered, staring deep into his eyes. "Why not?" He asked and I shook my head, choosing not to answer the question. "Fine, then we'll go back to the motel. It was a nice one right?" He suggested. He was right, it wasn't any hotel but for a motel, it was five stars for me. "That is wasting money. I have my car and I'll drive home when I'm sober," I declined.

"You drank half of the bottle, just let me take you to the motel or back to my place," Covan desperately insisted. His house? Is he serious? That simple statement got me so angry. "I'm not one of your hoes. I don't want your parents to think of me like that," I snapped. "I know. Come on, get up. I'm taking you to the motel," Covan insisted, jumping to his feet and dusting off his pants.

I stared at his hand that was extended to me. My entire body flooded with anxiety and I was second thinking myself. However, my actions had a mind of its own since now I was standing up, holding Covan's hand. He refused to let my hand go, his touch was warm and soft. Through the darkness, our eyes couldn't look away, it was almost impossible.

"Come on," he whispered, breaking the connection first. His hand never left mine as he walked to the exit and down the staircase. I was thankful he didn't so I kept my balance. He took the car keys from me and we got into the car, him in the driver's side of course. I studied his features as he drove, I'm sure if I was 100% sober I wouldn't have the nerve to. His sharp jawline, the shade

Stop it, Verena. You're just using him to not think of Hale.

"Why'd you look away, Ver," Covan mumbled. My eyes widened in fear, my heart hammered in my chest and I tried my best to not look at him. He just caught me staring at him and didn't have a problem. "You're not my boyfriend remember?" I chose to say, hating that was the only thing I could come up with. I huffed and grabbed one of my water bottles from the back and chugged it down.

"You broke up with him remember?" Covan challenged. I rolled my eyes in annoyance and turned to my window. He said I broke up with him, how did he know that? "How'd you know I did? I never told you," I mumbled. Once again, not holding back like I usually would. "Well, I just hope you did and went along with it. It doesn't matter actually, once you're away from that scumbag," he sighed.

"I'm still not over that you beat him up," I pointed out. "Sure you're not, sweetheart," he smirked, already pulling into the carpark and I unbuckle the seat belt. He killed the car and we walked into the familiar lobby, this time we were asking for a room.

"One bedroom please," Covan asked the girl over the counter. She began to type away. Covan isn't staying? "Aren't you staying?" I blurted out. They both looked at me but my eyes were on Covan, noticing when they softened. "If you want me to," he softly said. I nodded my head and he changed the room to a double bed.

"Why are you letting me stay, Verena?' Covan curiously asked as we walked down the hall, towards the room. I shrugged my shoulders and for the first time this night, I didn't know what to say. "It's too far for you to walk back," I finally said. He remained quiet, probably contented with my response.

The room was a carbon copy of the one from Friday night. So therefore I knew exactly where the bedroom was. I jumped on the bed and sighed out in relief. The bed was impressively comfortable and I finally shut my eyes. "I knew you were tired," my eyes jolted open at the sound of Covan's voice.

He was leaning against the door frame, his muscles coming to show since his arms were crossed on his chest. "I'm not but I should probably get some sleep," I yawned out, raising to grab a bottle water from the set they had on the bedside table. "Sure, I'll go with that, goodnight Verena," Covan smiled and reached for the doorknob.

"Goodnight," I mumbled back after he already shut the door.