[28]

This chapter is horrible. I apologize in advance:(

 I apologize in advance:(

Kismet:
Fate, destiny

[◇]

We drove for probably three hours. I slept for two and woke up ten minutes before our surprise destination. It was a small trail in the mountains that he was driving on, a lot of trees, and the thought of him bringing me out here to kill me ran in my thoughts twice.

However, he stopped in front of a cabin and drove to the side of the house. "What is this place, Covan?" I asked, staring at the cabin in the woods. He smiled at me, happy to see I was so confused in my thoughts. "My parents cabin, ours for the day. It has access to a private beach area," he revealed and a smile tugged my lips.

"The plan is, spend the day at the beach and then show off my awesome cooking skills before we leave," he confessed, wiggling his eyebrow. A day at the beach, that sounds lovely. I haven't been to the beach in two years. I love the beach. "That sounds too good to be true," I admitted and he smiled wider.

"Well, it's happening. Under one condition, no phones," he deadpanned and I happily handed him my phone before getting out of the car. "Thought that would be a struggle. I guess not," he mumbled to himself. "You guessed correct," I told and helped him with the bags.

He showed me inside and I was blown away by how amazing the inside was. Especially, the decor. I loved it all. "I feel so out of place here. What do I do?" I revealed. "Well, I got some sandwiches if you're hungry. So you can help yourself to that while I get the house ready. I suggest you go change because I'll take you to the beach very soon," he answered.

"Then where is my room butler?" I playfully said. He rolled his eyes and showed me to the small bedroom. It had a beautiful view of the big trees that surrounded half of the house. When he left, I took the clothes out of the target bags. I changed into the black and white bath suite and just stared at my body for minutes after minutes. I'll never be good enough. I threw on the flannel I bought to hide my arms right now before leaving the bedroom. Covan was in the kitchen, filling some drinks into a tub of ice when he saw me.

"Verena," he mumbled and I held my breath nervously when his eyes dipped further down my body, lingering on my legs. "You look um...you look beautiful," Covan struggled to say. "Uh, thanks?" I replied and he went back to the drinks. He also changed into an unbuttoned shirt and short pants that ended on his knees. He finished up with the drinks and handed me a sandwich before we made our way outside. The backyard was full of neatly cut grass with flowers on the borders. A wooden fence accompanied by a wooden door that led to the shore of the beach.

We weren't too far out to see. My feet couldn't touch the ground though but Covan could. It was safer that way. I just floated above the water, trying to take a break from all the splashing around with Covan. He's genuinely a good guy, I see that now more than before. I've been making the most of today when in reality I didn't have to try that hard.

"So you smoke and drink," I noted. He looks at me weirdly but nodded anyway. "Sorry I'm not innocent enough for you," he chuckled and I slapped him on the arm. "Innocent is too overrated. Guys want innocent girls that do bad things in bed, they want a girl with ass and boobs but no thick thighs, they want a badass girl but can't handle her badass attitude," I rambled off, moving my fingers around underwater while looking at the clouds.

"You're with the wrong guys then," he mumbled softly and I had go agree with him. "There's only ever been one guy," I correct and he was silent for a few seconds. "I guess we both made bad decisions for our first love. Only I didn't love Jess," he finally realized. I'm not sure I loved Hale also. I'm not sure what is love anyway.

"I guess so."

"Can we talk about him? Can we talk about Hale?" Covan tested the waters of the topic. He already did so much for me today, so I nodded. I owed him something. "Are you planning on telling the cops?" He hesitated. I looked at him and shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know, haven't thought about it much," I honestly said.

"You have to tell the police. You cannot let an abuser and rapist like him get away with something like this. Imagine all the other daughters he could do this too. No one deserves to be treated the way you did Verena," Covan reminded me. "I know, I will if you come with me," I surprised myself by saying and I couldn't take it back even if I wanted to.

"Anything. I will."

_♤_

"What are you making?" I questioned. It was six in the evening and he still insisted on making dinner. So while I cleaned up he showered and while I showered, he got dinner prepared. "Something... there are only a few things I learned from my mother's dinner and this is probably the best thing ever," he mumbled.

"Your mother owns a diner? Do I know of it?" I questioned and he smirked. "Use that brain of yours, Rena," he grinned. My eyebrows furrowed. I don't know any diners. What is he-

Holy shit.

"No way, why...why didn't you tell me!" I scolded him. He basically owned the diner, that's why he's never worried about getting caught and that's why he had the access. "In my defense, no one knows besides you. Not when Preston," he revealed and my face paled.

That couldn't be true.

Wow.

It was only minutes later then I realized he was making lasagna. He insisted on it and was extra relieved when he found out I love lasagna. We watched sponge Bob while it baked and once it was done, we sat down at the table together. "So why the rooftop, that's your place you go to which I admire. It makes me want a place like that...but why do you go there?" I brought back the topic.

"I don't really have the answer you're looking for. I ran away from home one day. The diner is a walking distance from my house and I...I don't know. I just found the place and kept going back there since it was the only place I knew," he shrugged, taking another forkful of the lasagna.

"And it's our place now," he added. My heart clenched and I chose a nod as my response. "So we're leaving after this?" disappointingly said and he nodded with a frown. "I really like this place, it's homey yet gives you an escape vibe," I admitted. "Yeah, it does. I can bring you back anytime you want. All you have to do is ask," offered Covan and I smiled widely.

The evening progresses and we finally finished cleaning up and threw away the trash before leaving. I didn't enjoy it enough, I wanted more. It wasn't any high-class house by the beach. It was a modern beachy cabin, cozy and cute. We drove back to my house and I was tired but I refused to sleep. The conversation was light, mainly talking about school tomorrow and of course, how I'm tired.

He was nearing the street when I got ready to exit the car. "Thank you for today Covan," I politely said, meaning every word. "Still can't drop you at your house?" He frowned and I shook my head. "Nope." He sighed and stopped in front of the street. We looked at each other, unable to look away. "Goodbye," I grabbed my bag. He seemed like he wanted to say something and I frowned but quickly hid it. "Goodbye, Verena," he repeated and I opened the door and shut it behind me. He drove off and I quickly walked to my house, holding my bags tightly.

Today was a freaking awesome day.

The door was open when I arrived home. I pulled it open and sighed in relief once I was inside. "You are grounded and I'm taking you out of that school!" My father screamed at me the second I shut the door.