11.

A M A R A

Frankie, (if that was even his name), said that he would be carrying out his plan at eleven. It was currently 10:30 and I was still freaking the fuck out.

I didn't have a gun or any weapon of the sort. I tried to find Gabe, but he was nowhere to be found.

I caught Frankie watching me from time to time, so I knew telling Lucian was out of the picture.

The only other idea that came to my mind was using the pickpocketing skills I learned in Italy. Some of the men in the room had their guns strapped on the back of their belts or suspenders.

I walked over to a group of men and pretended to drop something out of my purse.

"I'm so sorry, I'll be out of your way soon. I just dropped my bobby pin," I lamely said.

The man I was in front of didn't even acknowledge me. I got up and quickly swiped the gun out of his holster.

I checked the time. There were only five minutes to spare. I noticed that Frankie had his eyes completely on Lucian. It was about to happen.

I saw him reach to his side to grab his gun, and Lucian appeared completely oblivious to what was happening behind him.

I made my way around a pillar so that I could get a better angle. Just as Frankie lifted his gun to Lucian's head, I fired, hitting him right in the forehead.

It seemed no one in the room but Lucian reacted to this. He turned around and casually picked the gun out of Frankie's hand. Then he turned to me.

He looked angry. Why would he look angry? I just saved his life. Lucian grabbed me by the arm and pulled me into an empty hallway.

"Why the fuck did you do that?" He yelled.

I slightly flinched and I saw his face contort.
"What do you mean? He was going to kill you! Why wouldn't I have done that?!" I was dumbfounded.

"Why the hell did you flinch?" He probed.

"It's just a natural human instinct," I said, trying to come up with an excuse.

Lucian sighed, "Gabe and I had it under control. We knew about his plans."

"You knew?"

I rolled my eyes. Of course he knew.

"Just go back to your blonde bimbo then. It's not like it matters anymore," I sneered.

He started backing me into the wall, his physique towering over me. He pinned one arm next to my head.

"You sound a little jealous Amara.."

"I would never be jealous of you with another woman," I lied.

"Oh, really?" He asked in a seductive tone.

He leaned in closer to me. His lips just barely hovered over mine. I wanted to kiss him so bad.

I looked at his lips and he looked at mine. Before taking a second thought, I leaned in and placed mine onto his.

L U C I A N

Her lips were warm. They tasted like strawberries and sugar. Her hands tangled in my hair, and I pulled her closer to me.

A small moan escaped her lips. I smiled in between breathes. Taking the hand that was around her neck, I brought it to her waist and held her tight.

Eventually, we both needed to breathe, and we mutually pulled away. As soon as her lips left mine, I knew how much of a mistake I was making. Or, what I thought I was making.

She pursed her lips and stared at me innocently. Fuck.

"I'm sorry, this was a mistake. I shouldn't have kissed you back," I confessed.

I could see her whole demeanor change. She scoffed and shook her head. "Fuck you," she said before walking out of the room. I could see the anger in her eyes.

A M A R A

"Gabe, can you give me a ride home?"

"Why? What happened? Are you shaken up from killing someone?" He asked, stupidly. Apparently he forgot who I was.

Sure. Let's go with that. I nodded and he put his hand on my back, leading me out of the mansion.

Gabe tried questioning me about tonight, but I kept silent. I just needed to sleep.

He pulled up to Lucian's home. "I told Lucian why you left early. Are you sure you don't want me to come in with you?"

"I'll be ok. Thanks Gabe."

I hopped out of his Jeep and walked to my room. My dress was feeling a little too tight, so I slipped out of it immediately and took my heels off. I sighed and laid in bed.

It felt like hours before I heard another person step foot in Lucian's penthouse. I could hear heavy footsteps come closer to my room, so I flipped away from the door and pretended like I was asleep.

I could hear my door handle turn. I stayed still. The feeling of a weight on the opposite side of the bed startled me.

"Amara Hale... I'm sorry," Lucian hiccuped.

Was he seriously drunk right now?

Another hiccup, "you and I would never work. Relationships don't end well in this life." I could hear him sigh. "At least, that's what I've always heard." The sound of a liquid filled my ears. He was still drinking. "You're too good for me."

The weight on the bed lifted and I heard his footsteps drag out of the room, the door closing behind him.

The rest of the night I spent awake thinking about what happened. He thought I was too good for him?

After a few long hours, I was able to fall asleep eventually, but I barely got any sleep.

I woke up bright and early. Lucian had more business meetings to attend to today. I still couldn't stop thinking about last night.

He's thought about the idea of us before. Granted, he thought it would never work, but he still thought about it.

I took a shower and got ready for the day.

Lucian sent me a text saying that a driver would be taking me to the meeting building. I figured he was too hungover to speak to me in person.

I learned that the driver's name was Alex and that he was just hired by Mr. Moretti. Apparently Lucian was short staffed.

The building we pulled up to was lined with gold trim. It was effortlessly beautiful.

As soon as I stepped out of the car, Alex sped off. I made my way to the entrance. Two large, heavy double doors waiting for me.

I was greeted by an older receptionist. I told her who I was here for and she understood immediately. She led me to a private elevator and told me to go to the 60th floor.

The elevator ride seemed like it took hours, but I finally made it to my destination. Lucian and two pairs of men and women were sitting at a large round table, their eyes piercing at me.

I noticed Lucian had sunglasses on. I smirked Served him right.

I made my way over to the leather seats. "My name is Amara," I reached my hand out to shake theirs.

"I'm Casey and this is my wife Esme," They both gave me warm smiles. Who were these people? They didn't seem like the mafia type.

The other pair addressed me, "My name is Laurens and this is my sister Dannika. Nice to meet you."

Lucian spoke, "Amara, these people have informed me that they have reason to believe your father is alive."

My eyes widened, "What?"