29.

A M A R A

All I could see was black. I was standing, but I couldn't see on what. I was cold, and my skin was pasty white.

When I looked up from my hands, I was shockingly greeted with the sight of Marco. My mouth flew open and immediately I sprinted towards him.

He embraced me in a warm hug before speaking, "Amara, what are you doing here?"

I pulled away. "I- I don't know."

"You shouldn't be here. You should be home. Alive," he stated. I grew confused.

"What do you mean?" I queried.

"This is the afterlife. You have to fight. For your child, for our family, for Lucian," he started, "they won't survive without you."

"But what about you? Why can't you come back with me?" I interrogated.

"My time has run out. If you don't go soon, yours will as well. Goodbye Amara. I love you," he finished.

Before I could get in another word, he disappeared into nothing and I stood there dumbfounded.

I knew he was right, so I fought.

L U C I A N

Memories of Amara's car accident flooded my mind, and just like the last time, we ended on a bad note.

If she died I would never forgive myself. I would never be able to come back from it, and I wasn't sure if I'd made it another day without her. I sure as hell would torture Rachel until she was unidentifiable.

Her parents and brothers sat in the waiting room. I paced the hallway.

A doctor was making his way towards me. "Is she going to make it?" I asked him.

"We're unable to answer that right now. It's not looking too good. I suggest you take a seat. I'm sorry," he regretfully informed me.

Normally, I would have punched him dead in the face, but all I felt right now was dread and regret.

I clenched my fist as tears flooded my eyes. I couldn't fathom what was happening.

Another doctor made her way towards me. "Sir, we're going to need you to choose."

"What?" I choked out.

"If it comes down to it, you need to choose Amara or the babies," the doctor repeated.

"Amara. Always her," I said with no hesitation. It might have been insensitive, but a baby was replaceable, she wasn't.

I was having a small panic attack. She was the love of my life, and now all of our history could be erased in the blink of an eye.

"Lucian, come sit," her mother ordered. I complied and walked towards her, placing myself down in the seat next to her.

I didn't know what to say, and I was sure as hell that her parents weren't happy with me.

"I called your mother. She and your father are on their way here," she followed up.

I raised a brow. "What did she say?"