5.

A M A R A

I sat at my desk and pretended that I didn't just hear what they were saying. Thousands of questions filled my head. What mafia did he control? Did he know my past? Was I in danger?

They knew my family. They knew where we were hiding. Well, where some of us were hiding. Holy shit. I'm working for a fucking mafia leader.

I'm not fucking useless either. I was trained just like the rest of my family. Dick.

This was going to be interesting.

All this thinking was giving me a headache, so I gave Gabe as much meeting time as I could and called him back.

"Who's this?" He questioned.

"Amara from Moretti Enterprises. I called to tell you that I scheduled your meeting for 12:30 sharp. The later you are, the less time you have to talk," I informed him.

"Thanks sweetheart. I hope to hear from you more often," he flirted.

"If he doesn't fire me within this week, I'm sure you will," I joked.

He laughed. "See you later."

I hung up the phone and sighed. At least someone was giving me a good laugh around here.

Adrian exited Mr. Moretti's room looking distraught. "Lucian needs to see you," he said. After that, he left the building, his flirty personality gone entirely.

I got out of my seat puzzled. Was I in trouble already?

I lightly knocked on his door before entering. "Mr. Rossi said you wanted to see me?"

"Sit down," he commanded.

Hastily, I made my way over to the leather seats. I didn't know what to say to him. He had to know I was listening. Or who I was. Either way, I was fucked.

"If you lie to me, Amara. You will be fired immediately, maybe even worse. Do you understand?" He questioned.

That was the first time he had addressed me with my real name, so I knew it was serious. "Yes," I spoke hesitantly.

"Was your father Giovanni Hale?" He asked, though I figured he already knew the answer to that.

I gulped. "Yes," I spoke in my smallest voice.

"Speak up," he ordered, frustration painting his face.

"Yes. He was my dad alright?" This wasn't his business, mafia leader or not. "It doesn't matter who my father is."

"Did you participate in the underground rings?" His eyes never left my face. I stared at my nails. "Look at me when I'm speaking to you Amara."

I lifted my gaze to meet his. "I was the best," I confessed.

He leaned back in his chair and ran his hands over his face before confirming what I already knew, "how much of mine and Adrian's conversation did you hear?"

I sighed. He definitely had cameras. "I stopped listening after he mentioned where some of my family was."

Lucian nodded. "I'm the leader of a mafia called the Serpents. Have you heard of it?"

I shook my head and replied, "I tend to stay on the low."

"We're the most powerful mafia in the United States. Do you know what that means, Amara?" He asked in a snarky tone.

I shook my head no, which only seemed to set him off more.

He looked like he was about to go on a rampage. "It means that you're putting every single person in this building in danger. Did you know that?" He got up out of his chair. "You could've at least changed your name," he pointed out.