10.

A M A R A

"Miss Hale, are you ready to go?" A man asked on the other side of my door.

That didn't sound like Lucian.

"I'm his driver. My name is Kade. He's waiting for you outside," he followed up.

"Alright, I'll be out in a second," I said as I grabbed my suitcase by the handle.

I figured I could dress casual for the plane ride and change when we arrived to wherever we were staying.

I rolled my suitcase out, dress in hand. Kade took the luggage from me and put it in the back of the car.

I opened the side door and sat down on the black leather seat. We weren't in his Mercedes anymore.

"Did Kate treat you well?" He asked, not bothering to look up from his phone.

"Yes. She was very professional," I complimented.

"Good."

The rest of the ride was silent. He tapped away at his phone for literally the whole ride. Who did he have to be texting? His head had to be hurting.

After what seemed like forever, we arrived at his jet.

The flight to New York took about two hours. I was exhausted when we got off the plane. One of the downsides of motion sickness was not being able to sleep in the air.

"When we get to my penthouse, you can rest. We have a quite a few hours before the gala starts tonight," he informed me.

I wasn't surprised he owned a penthouse. "Cool, thanks."

"Oh and Amara, start calling me Lucian please. I don't like the formalities," he instructed.

I nodded at him.

When we exited the plane, I noticed that his Mercedes was now here in New York.

I hopped into the passenger seat quickly. This car never got old.

The drive to his penthouse was almost an hour long because of traffic. It was right in the heart of the city. The views were immaculate. I could see myself sitting there for hours.

I put my suitcase on the floor, flung my shoes off, and jumped under the covers. After setting my alarm so that it would go off in two hours, I fell asleep. The gala started at nine and it was three at the moment.

L U C I A N

"Gabe, are you going to be at the gala tonight?" I asked over the phone.

"Of course I am," he said. I heard some shuffling in the background and what sounded like a woman's voice.

"Are you with a girl right now? It's three in the afternoon," I complained.

"So? A man has needs. When was the last time you got laid?"

Good question. Rachel hadn't tried to sleep with me for a while, which was odd. "It's been a while," I admitted.