30.

L U C I A N

"Who are you?" She questioned. My eyes widened.

"What?" I responded. She didn't remember me?

"Who are you?" Amara repeated.

"Amara, it's me. Lucian," I stated. My heart was pounding fast. Was I going to have to win her over again?

She looked at me blankly, but soon, a smile crept over her lips. "You should've seen your face!"

My expression dropped. "Seriously?"

"I'm sorry I couldn't help it," she joked. "Where are the babies?"

I knelt down beside her and took her hand. "Only one of them made it."

Her smile dropped instantly. "Oh."

"We have a son," I went on.

She nodded, but looked away from me. I could tell this was hurting her. The doctors touched my shoulder signaling for me to step away. I complied.

They ran some tests on her body and checked vitals. Everything was stable, and they explained that it was a miracle Amara survived. She would have to stay a few more days so that they could make sure she was actually okay.

When they left the room, we sat in silence for a bit. "Did they ask you to choose?"

"Yes," I started, "I chose you."

Her eyes glazed over me. "I saw Marco."

"What?"

"He told me I have to fight. I didn't want to fight. I was going to let myself die," she stated.

I raised my eyebrows in shock. "You were going to give up?"

"It would've been easier, but I knew there were people here who wouldn't want me to go."

I breathed out a sigh. "Are you unhappy here?"

"Not with you," she responded. I leaned forward towards her.

"You should see him. He looks just like you," I said.

She gave a feint smile. "I told you my genes were stronger."

I rolled my eyes. "I guess you were right."

"Mr. Moretti, Ms. Hale, we brought your son," the nurse stated. Amara sat up instantly. "Because he is so premature, we can't allow you to hold him, but there are gaps for your hands if you would like to hold his hand."

We nodded and she left the room. Amara slowly limped over to our baby. I debated telling her to lay back down, but that didn't seem smart.

"What should we name him?" She asked as she leaned over the baby.

"I hadn't thought about it too much," I admitted.

She nodded. "I was thinking Reid. That was Marco's middle name."

"Reid Moretti. That doesn't sound too bad does it?" I complimented.

She smiled once more. I missed that immensely. Another doctor made his way into the room. "I'm glad to see you standing, Amara," he started.

She nodded. "Thank you for your help."

He nodded. "Unfortunately, I do have a few things to discuss with you."

I led Amara back to her bed and sat down with her. "What is it?" She questioned.

"Since I'm assuming no other doctor has told you this, you did experience placental abruption, which is a serious condition where the placenta detached from the uterus," he went on. "In most cases, it's extremely rare that a child is ever saved, but you two were very lucky in that case."

"But not in other cases?" I stated.

"Amara will very likely never be able to conceive again."

Amara's hand flew to her mouth, and I brought her into my chest. "Thank you," I told the doctor before he left.

She wasn't crying, and I could tell that this hurt her. I didn't know of her plans of children, but from her reaction, it seemed like she wanted more.

"He didn't say never, right? It's going to be okay, Amara," I reassured.

She stayed silent and we sat in that position for a while. I couldn't fathom what she was going through, for the thought of children hadn't entered my mind until meeting her, but I knew she was in pain.

"How about you sleep on it, and we can talk about it when you feel better?" I suggested. I wasn't good at this.

She sighed and pulled herself away from me. I rose from the hospital bed and left her to sleep. I figured her parents had already heard the news, but I would make sure just in case.

They were sitting in the lobby, Amara's mother crying into her palm. I frowned at the sight.

"Amara is awake, but she's taking some time to rest," I stated. Her eyes lifted to mine.

"Thank you Lucian. I know it's been rough for the two of you, but I hope this solidifies your relationship," she responded before standing up from her seat. "I'm going to sit with her."

I nodded as she walked away. Giovanni patted my shoulder before following. I decided to call Gabe and tell him the good news.

I dialed his number and put the phone to my ear.

"Any news on Amara and the baby?" He greeted.

"She's awake and he's in the NICU. They should both make it," I informed him. I heard him sigh in relief.

"Rachel wants to speak to Amara. She refuses to talk to anyone else," he went on.

I rolled my eyes. "Amara wanted to talk to her as well. When she is 100% I'll allow it."

"Adrian has been keeping her occupied, but I don't think he's enjoying it."

"Tell him to leave her for a while. It's probably better for her to sit in silence," I ordered.

"Sounds good. Keep me updated."

The only thing for me to do now was wait.

Three weeks later

Amara was up and walking now. Her body was finally healing, and in a few more days we would be able to go home with the baby.

We spent most of our time in the NICU watching over him and making sure he was breathing correctly. He was already much bigger, and it was a miracle at how fast he strengthened.

"Are you ready to go?" I asked Amara as she finished packing her things.

"I don't want to leave him here," she admitted.

"Don't worry, the hospital will take good care of him," I reassured her. "It's time you had a conversation with Rachel."

Her eyes shot towards mine. "I'm going to say goodbye, and then we can leave."

I nodded as she hastily made her way out of the room. It was finally time to go home.

-

We exited the hospital quickly and I drove us back to the apartment. Amara hurried inside as fast as she could, and I made sure Rachel was free of any alarming objects before allowing her inside.

"I want to speak to her alone, Lucian," she stated.

I glowered at her, but complied with her demand. It was finally time for Amara and I to be together, this time, with full trust. Once her talk with Rachel was over, we were going to have a long conversation. I needed to apologize for how I acted everyday since the day we met. She was the love of my life, and I wasn't going to let her leave so easily again, at least not without a fight.