18.

C H I C A G O, 6:17 A.M.

"Angelo," a familiar voice spoke.

I turned to see Rachel, my insider. "Rachel, What news do you have for me?"

She looked extremely pissed off. "He likes her." Her face started getting red. "I want Lucian for myself. Get this bitch out of the picture."

I extended my hand and wrapped it around Rachel's neck, "don't speak about her that way." She was tapping my elbow for me to stop. "You better choose your next words carefully."

I dropped her and she sputtered a few coughs, "What I m-mean is... If I seduce Lucian and make her believe he loves me.. You'll be able to easily get her."

I thought about it. That wasn't too bad of an idea. But I had something better in mind. "I have an even better idea." I slowly paced the room. "You, Rachel, are going to help me make Lucian Moretti believe his beloved Amara is the rat. When he thinks she's working for me, he'll want her dead. But, by that time, we'll have her in our hands."

Rachel smiled evilly, "perfect idea boss."

"Gather the team, I'll start planning."

Rachel nodded and exited the room. I smiled to myself. Amara was only going to be gone for a little longer.

A M A R A

I felt refreshed when I woke up this morning. Like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders.

I couldn't stop thinking about what Lucian said. "I'm going to work to earn your trust." It was stuck in my head.

After laying in bed thinking about what had happened the last few weeks, I got out to take a shower and threw on a black floral dress.

I looked at myself in the mirror and sighed at my image. Then, I made my way down to the kitchen for breakfast.

Thanksgiving was only a couple of days away, and Lucian's home was buzzing with activity. Apparently Sandra hired a decorating crew, but Lucian didn't even know about it.

The kitchen was filled with unfamiliar faces. They mostly ignored me and carried on with their work. I noticed Sandra out of the corner of my eye looking fairly stressed.

I walked over to her, "hey Sandra. Busy morning?"

"Oh, you have no idea dear," she said as she wiped off her forehead. "I'm just worried Lucian will throw them out since he's on bed rest this week."

I smiled at her, "I won't let that happen."

Sandra winked at me and continued working. I was just going to head upstairs when I hit a solid body behind me. "Jeez I'm sorry." I looked up and noticed it was Lucian.

He was looking down at me seriously, "Have you ate this morning?"

"I- No," I frowned at him knowing I wasn't going to be able to lie my way out of this one.

"We're going out for breakfast."

"But I-"

He cut me off, "No. We're going out for breakfast."

I sighed, "let me go get my purse."

He looked disgusted all of the sudden, "You think you're paying? Let's go."

He lead me out of the house and to his Mercedes. I smirked remembering how he was when I drove. "You sure you can drive?"
He raised his eyebrows, "even if I couldn't, you would not be setting foot on the drivers side again."

I smiled at him before we both got in. The ride was peacefully silent. I looked out the window at the city. There were so many unfamiliar faces. Some people had shopping bags, others with briefcases.

We pulled up to a small, empty cafe. "This is cute," I expressed.

"It was one of my first investments," he explained to me.

"I never took you for the pretty cafe type."

"Well, what type did you take me for?" He walked over to me smirking.

"I'm never telling you that," I said as my phone started buzzing. It was an unknown number? "One second. Let me take this."

Lucian nodded and sat down at one of the front tables.

"Amara Hale, who is this?"

I heard a small laugh, "I've missed your voice."

I could feel my body turn cold. Just as I was about to hang up, the man who I could only assume was Angelo spoke again, "Ah ah ah, Hanging up and telling your new little boyfriend is not the smartest idea."

"What do you want?" I seethed.

"I want you back. I've changed. I'm not the man I used to be," he pleaded, trying to manipulate me.

"Shove your petty lies right back up your ass," I snarled.

"Looks like we're doing this the hard way," he groaned. "If I find out you told your little boss about this call, say goodbye to your father, who's barely hanging on by a thread here, with me."

I gasped, "y-you have my dad?" My hand flew to my mouth. "I don't believe you."

He yelled, "bring him here!" There was some scuffling behind the phone before I could hear some coughing and a voice.

"A-amara.. D-don't listen to him.. Go and tell L-lore-" The voice was cut off, "Hear that Amara? Your precious Giovanni is alive. Along with your other family. It's a shame your annoying brothers are after me." I heard some more shouting. "It appears I have to go. Don't forget what I told you."

"Wait!" I silently yelled into the phone. I could feel myself start crying, but I knew for the sake of my father I needed to stop and be strong. I turned back to Lucian with a smile on my face. He was tapping away at his phone.

I made my way over to him, "Ready?"

He got back up. "Who was that on the phone?"

"Oh, just Ashley. She thinks she forgot something at home the night of the shooting."

Lucian nodded and opened the door for me. We had breakfast, but all I could think about was my family. My dad. They're alive.