12.

A M A R A

"You know where my family is?" I interrogated.

The man named Laurens nodded. "We might. Casey, Esme, Dannika, and I recently attended business in Italy. When we arrived, we were greeted by a man named Erik. Before Erik left us, he received a call, and the contact on the phone read Giovanni Hale."

Casey cut in, "We know it's a long shot, but Erik works in the underground fighting business, and it's highly unlikely that he would receive a call from someone who wasn't involved in the same business."

I could feel myself get light headed. All this time I had thought that my family was dead. I never imagined to hear that someone thought they were alive.

Soon, I could see my vision turning black, and my body fell to the floor.

"Amara?" I assumed it was Lucian speaking. He was shaking my shoulders lightly.

My eyes felt heavy, and my head, fuzzy.

"Hey, you need to get up." He snapped his fingers over my face.

Groggily, I sat up off the floor, "What the fuck happened?"

"You passed out after we told you about your dad," he revealed.

Holy shit. I forgot. They thought my dad was alive, and they might have had proof.

"Oh my God," I rubbed my temple and stood up, "Where did those people go?"

"I told them to come back later when you were more stable." He looked at me sincerely. Almost like he cared.

"Is my dad alive, Lucian?" I searched his gaze.

"I don't know. Casey and Esme have been my friends for years. They work in my accounting department here in New York. When they heard you were a Hale, they immediately contacted me to tell me they had information."

I nodded, "Can we go home?"

L U C I A N

Home? I was a bit taken aback by her statement. She had only been staying with me for a week, and she already thought of my house as her home?

"Sure. Let's go."

She crossed her arms and I guided her out of the building.

The drive back to my penthouse felt like it took forever. She stayed silent. It was hard to read her. She didn't really show emotion. At all. The only time she did was when she was angry.

I informed Kade that we would be going home early. The door to her bedroom was open. She was aggressively throwing her clothes into her luggage. "Your clothes are going to get wrinkled," I observed

She didn't face me and sneered, "whatever."

"What's wrong?" I cursed at myself. This made it look like I cared.

Finally, she turned around. "Well, first, the man who kissed me yesterday night told me that it was a mistake and that we would never work out, then I find out that my father and more of my family may be alive, and now old habits of mine are resurfacing. That is what's wrong."

Old habits? "What old habits?"

She heaved out a sigh, "Nothing. I shouldn't have told you."

"Amara, what old habits?" I looked at her sternly.