31.

A M A R A

Rachel was sitting in her cell hugging her knees to her chest. Her eyes were buried in them, and she looked cold.

"Rachel?" I spoke. It didn't seem like she was there.

"Have you come to unleash your anger on me? Maybe rub it in that you, of all people, managed to get Lucian to fall in love with you?" She bitterly responded, her head still placed between her knees.

"I just want to know why," I said. There had to be a reason, and I hoped it would be better than the 'if I can't have you, no one can' excuse.

She raised her head and rested it on her forearms. It seemed Rachel was at an internal battle with herself, and I wasn't sure who was winning.

"I knew the first moment he saw your face that something was different," she started with a sigh.

"What do you mean?" I asked taking a small step towards her.

"I was sitting in his lap, for christ's sake, and when you stepped into view, all he could do was stare," she went on. "The man was obsessed with you from day one, whether he wanted to admit it or not."

"After that, he stopped calling me, left no messages, and didn't even bother to acknowledge my presence when we were at the workplace. When I managed to pull him aside at the warehouse, that was the first time I was able to have a genuine conversation with him for weeks."

"Still, that doesn't explain why," I reminded her.

"I loved him, Amara. I loved him so much that I was willing to sacrifice everything for him, and he still chose you," she explained. "That's why I did it. I didn't think I could go on without him, and if I wanted him, I had to get rid of you."

I frowned at her response. Tears welled in her eyes, and though I could sympathize with her feelings, I could not let go of what she did, and frankly, I was quite pissed off.

"I know I'm crazy. I know I need help. I see that now, but please, please, don't kill me," she begged. I debated doing it right then and there.

"I want to feel bad for you, because I'm sure the speech you put together in your mind ended with myself forgiving you, but acting like a selfish, insecure bitch got you nowhere," I retorted. "I would be sorry that I waltzed into your perfect life and ruined everything for the two of you if you didn't give me back to my abuser, and cause the death of one of my children. You're lucky Lucian has let you live this long, and I'm debating telling him to finish the job."

"Please, Amara, I'm really sorry," she cried. "I was blinded by my love for him."

"That's not an excuse, but thanks for telling me the truth," I finished before exiting the cell, making sure to lock it on my way out.

I winced at the sounds of banging as I walked towards the stairs.

"Let me the fuck out, Amara!" She yelled.

I shook my head and continued forward. It was best for that conversation to be left between Rachel and I.

Lucian was standing cross-armed at the top of the stairs. He was tapping his foot anxiously against the hard wood floors.

"Well? How did it go?" He asked before I made it to the top.

"She's delusional," I responded.

"I figured. What do you want to do with her?" He asked, but I already knew the ideas that were running through his head.

"I'm leaving that up to you. I don't want to think about it," I admitted.

"What did you talk about?"

"I asked her why she did it," I said, walking to the kitchen. Lucian followed behind me.

"And? What did she say?" He pressed on.

"She gave the 'if I can't have you, no one can' excuse," I lied.

Lucian nodded, but eyed me suspiciously.

"I told you, she's delusional," I reassured him.

He dropped that subject as we moved further into the house, but brought up another untouched issue.

"I want to really apologize, Amara. For everything that I did and said since the day you arrived here. I was never good to you," he blurted.

I sighed deeply. I expected this to be brought up eventually. I forgave him briefly in the hospital, but he never gave a full apology, and now seemed as good of a time as ever to address the problem.

"I love you and I want to be with you, but I can't handle the constant inconsistency. You're either all in, or I'm out," I put forth.

"I'm in. I swear to god I'm in. I don't want anyone else. I need you," he went on.

I stared up at him warily. There was no doubt about what I felt about him.

"One more chance Lucian," I finalized. "After that, I'm done."

He sighed in relief. "Thank you. Thank you, Amara."

L U C I A N

My heart was beating out of my chest. Amara had me wrapped around her finger, and I wasn't mad about it.

The way she acted after speaking to Rachel was unusual, and I felt that she wasn't telling the truth, but I left it alone. If she wanted to tell me about their conversation, she could do it on her own time.

I decided to call Gabe and tell him that we would need to decide what to do with Rachel. She needed to be punished, but I knew for a fact Amara had made me soft. My feelings of anger had turned to pity. I needed to speak to Rachel myself.

Every time I entered the basement my shoulders felt heavier. Maybe it was because of all the ghosts I had created here. I didn't necessarily feel guilt, but the weight of their sad lives was heavy enough for me to notice.

It was quiet in the long hallway. Rachel was the only person we had kept prisoner for a long time. I just figured she would attempt more resistance.

When I unlocked her door, I was greeted with the familiar scent of rust. The metallic smell left a taste in my mouth. I hated it.

My eyes flew to the floor. Rachel was lying on her side, a shard of glass in between her fingers. She was bleeding out.

I hurried to her side and flipped her onto her back. She had cut the artery perfectly. She was going to die.

As I was standing up, Rachel's eyes shot open, and she stabbed the glass through my gut. I grunted and grabbed her bleeding wrist, pulling it away from my abdomen.

"You're one dumb bitch," I sneered.

"I was hoping it was Amara," she slurred. "I wanted to see her suffer one last time."

After she spoke those words, Rachel fell to the ground and took her last breath. I gripped my side and rose from the ground completely. Amara was going to be pissed.