Chapter 54 Let's get the thing started

My dear fans out there, I'm so terribly sorry that it took me so long to write another chapter, but the last weeks were pretty filled with a lot of work. I hope you're staying safe and healthy. I want also to thank my lovely editor amys99999, who had done a terrific job with editing my chapter. And a big thank you to all of you for your support and loyalty 

A feather falling to the floor would have sounded ear-splitting in the silence that followed Max's statement. Mitchum immediately stepped forward. Color was visibly rising in his cheeks as his eyes flashed angrily at Max. Instantly, Logan's hand shot out to stop his father. "Let him continue, Dad," Logan said quietly.
Max went from looking nervous to looking downright terrified. "We were looking for a good solution or compromise to this situation. I think we may have something," Max said cautiously. Mitchum remained silent, but his heavy breathing filled the room. Logan and Rory joined hands, apprehensive but interested in what Max was about to propose. 
"Kate and I have a plan which we want to discuss with all of you. I hope you'll keep an open mind and consider our idea.""Then just tell us about your plan, Max," cleared Logan's throat and tried not to look too nervous.
"All right. Kate and I have decided to move back to the USA. Nothing is holding us in Vienna when Emma...I mean, Norah will move to Hartford with you. Coincidently, in the fall, Sophie will start studying at Yale. Of course, we have our jobs here to consider, but we aren't bound to them. And not being able to see Norah grow up makes me crazy..." Max explained rapidly. He knew that he was walking on thin ice, and he didn't want to upset Logan or Rory. But he and Kate couldn't think of anything better than returning to the States.
After a short but concise break, he continued, "But anyway, we do know that you will take over Norah's custody now, but Katie and I would like to stay at least a small part of her life. Kate and I have already been looking for a suitable house or apartment but were unsuccessful. However, one of my former studies and work colleagues, John Masters, contacted me out of the blue after years. He offered me a job at the Yale School of Medicine without knowing about our precarious situation. I can't believe that they want me as a professor and head of the Cell Biology department. I didn't hesitate for long and took the job offer immediately. Finally, I can help young people rise above themselves and broaden their horizons with my medical expertise." He paused. Then he looked at Rory and Logan. Hesitantly, he asked, "I wanted to ask you and Rory if you could keep your ears and eyes open for a house in Hartford or even near New Haven."
Both Rory and Logan could barely comprehend the flood of information, much less determine how they felt. On the one hand, they were happy for Max that he was offered such a lucrative job. And on the other hand, they were worried that Norah would never get used to the new family situation if Max and Katherine moved to Hartford.
"Wow, that's good news. Congratulations, Max. I'm sorry, though, I just wonder how it would all work out," Rory questioned and frowned at Norah's adoptive parents. Katherine could understand that Rory was worried and could imagine her concerns and fears as she was also a mother. And if she were in Rory's place, she would fight like a lioness for her child too.
Kate now took the initiative, "I can't tell you that, Rory. But if we don't try, we'll never see if it works. But I can't and won't imagine a life without Norah. And please, don't get me wrong. Rory, I know all of you are glad that you found Norah. Therefore, I thought if we could make a kind of arrangement that we could share custody, everyone would be happy. And I think it would add stability for Norah. She needs to know you and Logan, but she has lived with us all these years.
She also needs to know that we still love her. I know you can object and reject our suggestion but please at least consider it."
Rory closed her eyes for a brief moment and tried to process what Katherine was saying. The woman had pleaded with her-- mother to mother, woman to woman. In truth, the idea itself wasn't so bad if she wasn't so afraid of losing Norah again. 

She knew that Katherine and Max were suffering too, but they didn't go through 13 and a half years of hell like she and Logan did. But they had no clue that they were "adopting" a baby that wasn't given up for adoption. Rory always had to remind herself that these people before her were not to blame. In a way, she owed them a debt of gratitude. They had taken wonderful care of her baby after she was stolen.
"Please give the idea a chance Rory, Logan. I know it won't be easy for all of us. But we're all in the same boat." Max said, trying to help Katherine out. Logan looked into Max's eyes. He saw the hope and fear. As Rory was thinking of Katherine, Logan considered Max. The man was doing anything he could to hold his family together. Logan held no ill-will towards him, but he wanted to speak privately to Rory before voicing his opinions. 
So, he said, "That's true, Max. We will certainly consider your idea as objectively as we can. But the next big step is that I'm going to fly back home because Agent Delany called yesterday and requested I come to New York asap because they're still..oh, I'm sorry.." Logan said as his iPhone began to ring.
His heart began to race when he saw the name of the very man he was speaking of on the screen. Without even knowing it, he sucked in a deep breath. Rory and Mitchem instantly knew who was calling. Mitchum looked at his son with concern and could imagine the inner struggle and fears his son was going through right now.