Chapter 60 The Big Challenge Pt. 1

Well my beloved fans out there, I know it took me longer than I expected to write another chapter. But I'm so happy that there are still a lot of people out there who are following my story. So a big thank you to all of you. And of course a big, big thank you to my amazing editor amys99999 you did such a terrific job again. 

A few hours later, everybody was at Katherine's former home in Manchester. The fire was quietly cracking away in the fireplace while the silence filled the room because nobody dared to say anything. Logan and Rory stared impassively and felt quite helpless because they had no idea how the whole situation would develop. Of course, they knew they weren't alone, but the fear and anger of facing Tristan nearly drove them almost insane. The fear of the unknown loomed over them. Logan wordlessly grabbed Rory's hand while gently running his other hand through her silky brown hair.
"I'm so scared, Logan..." she whispered in a tired voice and buried her face on his shoulder. "I know Ace, but remember our friends and families always have our backs," he replied, trying to give her an encouraging smile. In truth, he was scared shitless.
But he needed to be strong, strong for his family. Colin was busy reading the e-mail correspondence Odette had sent Logan, and his anger grew bigger and bigger with every line he had read. It was unbelievable what those people had done to his best friends. He shook his head, stopped reading the files, and took a sip from his scotch. But he remained silent, stewing in the words he read.

"I still can't believe that our little Emmy...I mean, Norah was kidnapped when she was a tiny infant. I should have checked with Pierre back when I was still working at the MI05 and asked myself why Katherine should adopt a baby with Max from an unknown French Catholic Adoption Agency. Of course, it seemed a bit strange to me that everything happened so quickly." James stopped for a moment and tried to collect his thoughts. "I should have given myself and my strange feelings more credit because I had pursued such crimes as illegal child trafficking in the form of high-priced adoptions back when I was still working at the MI05. 

But I never thought that Pierre's hatred was so intense that he got involved in such arrangements. Even if Norah was lucky to grow up in an intact family. There are no words to make up for your pain and the years you lost with Norah," James continued and looked at his granddaughter's parents sorrowfully. 

"I agree with you, James. I'm glad Norah grew up with Max and Kate, even though it pains me that Rory and I didn't have the chance to be with her for the last fourteen years of her life. But it's a little consolation that Katherine and Max raised Norah to be a wonderful girl," Logan said while Rory leaned on Logan's shoulder and closed her eyes for a moment.
Today had been very stressful for her, and she was so sorry to see her daughter so hurt and sad. She also felt guilty for being forced to involve Nathalie and Gracie, but they couldn't keep it secret from the girls any longer.

"But neither your family, nor mine, nor Rory's family is to blame for Norah being taken from us. Although I have blamed myself for years that Norah was no longer with us. At that time, it would never have occurred to me that Pierre Lamintage could commit such an unspeakably terrible act out of spite. 
Odette and I would never have been happy if we had married. But I'll tell you more later if you have any questions. I am so grateful that your son was the one who caught Tristan," Logan added, glancing at his wristwatch. By now, it was already half-past eight in the evening. They were due to meet Katherine's brother Alex at the MI05 headquarters in London City in thirty minutes.

"I think we should be on our way now, and I'm glad our children are safe for a while here," Rory said and got up from the couch.
"I wish you a lot of strength. Don't worry about the kids. It will be a laid-back movie night here," Sarah said and gave Logan and Rory a warm smile.
"I'm sure they'll be excited about that. It is a relief and a huge help to us. We owe you all for the support you have shown us. It's good to know we're not alone on this battlefield," Rory said emotionally, turning to her parents and in-laws with a tired smile. "Hey, that's what friends are for, Rory. Colin is going to beat the shit out of this bastard," Finn said in a serious voice. Before he could say more, his phone began to ring. He mouthed a sorry and left the living room.

"Rory, there is nowhere we would rather be than with you, Logan, and our grandchildren. And when we get back home, we'll have another nice spa weekend.
You'll need a relaxing break. I don't want you to have another breakdown. We are all very proud of you and Logan. I'm sure you'll take care of that bastard," Lorelai replied with a worried look and could only hope that her daughter and son-in-law would survive this severe conversation. She would have loved to come along, but it was not her job to fight the battles of her daughter and son-in-law.

"You can count on that, Lorelai. We're not going to let that bastard get away that easily," Logan replied.

"I know you won't, son. I'll definitely still be awake when you get back." Mitchum smiled at his son.

"I certainly will, dad. See you later." Mentioned Logan.

Together they made their way to the British Secret Service. Twenty minutes later, they were in front of the entrance, and as soon as they entered the headquarters, a blond-haired man in his mid-30s approached them. "Mr. and Mrs. Huntzberger, Mr. McCrae, I'm Alex Hoffmann, Katie's little brother. Nice to meet you, although it would have been nicer under different circumstances." He greeted them with an exhausted smile.
The last few hours had been tough for him and his team. It was anything but easy to squeeze any information out of this bastard. They had underestimated him. While they had believed he would be easy to crack, they had been mistaken. Especially in the presence of that sleazy lawyer Daniel O'Donnell.
Cooperation was a foreign word for these people, but hopefully, the light would finally come into the dark. First, of course, he had read into the FBI files that Agent Muller had sent him by fast courier. However, he could not go through the files for very long because he would have gone completely crazy. This bastard and half-brother of his dad had almost destroyed a whole family without them knowing it.

"We are also pleased, Mr.."

"Oh, please call me Alex; I'm glad you could come so quickly. Tristan and his lawyer Mr. O'Donnell are already waiting for you in the interrogation room Mr. McCrae. I'm sure you'd like to take a look at the situation with Tristan and his current lawyer. I must advise... I don't think it's wise to go into this situation with too much anger in your stomach.
I've had to fight all day today not to punch that son of a bitch in the face. But I'm not going to get my hands dirty if he ends up in one of the worst maximum-security prisons in the U.S.," Alex explained, and Colin's face twisted when he heard the name of his biggest opponent. 

He and Daniel O'Donnell had already fought some pretty big battles in court. "That's right; it's better if you stay with Alex for now. I know you and your impulsiveness just too well, Logan. I know you want to kill him most of all, but it won't do any good. So don't worry; you can kick Tristan's ass later when I'm done with him and that moron O'Donnell," Colin tried to talk his best friend into it. Logan was pissed but secretly knew Colin was right. He had to go into the conversation with Rory relaxed, as far as that was possible.

"I know, Col, you're our biggest hope right now," Logan sighed as they entered the darkened room with several computers and two loudspeakers. "Sure, and I know it sounds corny, but we can do this together. Kate's brother also listed a big contribution to this son of a bitch finally having to answer for his actions." Colin assured her, straightening his shoulders and making his way to the interrogation room.